Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

33 minutes ago, Carmania said:

Jim is Maeshyfryd, Holyhead that of Katie Evans? I'll go and have a look for it, know where it should be.

Aled

Aled, Yes, it is the grave of Katie Evans that I am after. I am told that Maeshyfryd cemetery is nicely situated but tends to get overgrown so you may need Wellies and a bill hook. It may be a red herring but she may be in section B, grave 905 (but don't rely on this). If you have plenty of time I am also looking for the grave of Margaret Williams (died 3rd November 1916) who was a stewardess lost off the SS Connemara. If her body was recovered she may be in her father's grave (and on his headstone - he died 12th March 1920) in Maeshyfryd Cemetery. A web site here states that her body was not recovered so don't waste too much time looking for father's grave. It was just a hunch.

https://sites.google.com/site/holyheadwarmemorial19141918/home/ss-connemara/margaret-williams-stewardess

Jim. Yes, Katie Evans should be in B 905 as I mentioned in my email. Have the location number for the grave of Margaret Williams' father Griffith, so will see who is named on the headstone. Will report back when I've been.

Hello Jim

A quick catch up from me.

I went to Loanhead (Midlothian) at the end of February (I know!) to look for the grave of Mary G Williamson. I also visited the war memorial there. I know you already have a picture of her name on the memorial. Please let me know if you need another.

As far as her grave is concerned, I couldn't find it. It is, of course, there somewhere! Doing my homework before going, I saw that her husband pre-deceased her. I noted that he was the provost of Loanhead. I looked for his grave too at the same place but did not see it. Strange - I would have thought there would be some sort of marker! Anyway, to sum up, I haven't forgotten about your request. I intend going back to do another search when I have time.

Meantime, as usual, let me know of any in the general area and I'll see what I can do.

Regards

Kenny

On 19/04/2017 at 11:50, Kenny.bell said:

Hello Jim

A quick catch up from me.

I went to Loanhead (Midlothian) at the end of February (I know!) to look for the grave of Mary G Williamson. I also visited the war memorial there. I know you already have a picture of her name on the memorial. Please let me know if you need another.

As far as her grave is concerned, I couldn't find it. It is, of course, there somewhere! Doing my homework before going, I saw that her husband pre-deceased her. I noted that he was the provost of Loanhead. I looked for his grave too at the same place but did not see it. Strange - I would have thought there would be some sort of marker! Anyway, to sum up, I haven't forgotten about your request. I intend going back to do another search when I have time.

Meantime, as usual, let me know of any in the general area and I'll see what I can do.

Regards

Kenny

Kenny, I may have wasted your time - just a little. I have gone back to my notes and find " The burial record states that Mary was buried in the same grave as her husband but under her maiden name of Galloway White".  No wonder that you couldn't find her but you should, may be, have stumbled over husband's grave. I see that you have visited her Find A Grave entry last month. As to my other "wants" I always try and keep the latest listing up to date by constant editing. Go back one page and you will see it. Careful as there are two but it is obviously the latest one. If you have the Loanhead War Memorial photograph showing Mary's name I would welcome a copy. (jimstrawbridge AT coinsale.fsnet.co.uk        By the way, did I mention that one of my ladies is Cora Bell. Zeppelin Z14 appeared off the Scottish coast on the evening of the 2nd April 1916 and caused much devastation. Edinburgh was bombed. One of the bombs fell on 69 St. Leonard's Hill wrecking the roof and top floor killing Cora and injuring her mother and younger sister. Any relation?

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

• 3 weeks later...

Jim

Was in Sheffield today so managed to visit Abbey Lane Cemetery.

Ethel Bramall, VAD is on the last list you sent me several months ago.

Only took 10mins to find.

4 Photos attached

Chris

Ethel Bramall 1.JPG

Ethel Bramall 2.JPG

Ethel Bramall 3.JPG

Ethel Bramall 4.JPG

Jim,

I thought I had sent you photos of Bexhill-on-sea, but I see it is still on the list. An error, or someone new?

Who is required in Eastbourne - I will be there in a week or so.

Martin

Edited by tootrock
Addition

Chris - Thank you for getting Ethel Bramall's grave marker. Much appreciated.

Martin - Just checked, and you are correct that you supplied a photograph of Bexhill War Memorial. Records now updated. As for Eastbourne, I am looking for the name of  Phyllis M. Gooch, VAD, whose name is on the Eastbourne Central Military Hospital Memorial which was originally in the Chapel of St. Mary's Hospital until it was demolished in 1994 at which time it was relocated to the Redoubt Fortress and Military Museum, Royal Parade, Eastbourne. I suspect that there is a cost to get in so unless you wanted to visit perhaps best left. The name of Isabella Mackenzie, QAIMNS should also be on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Brought to the top again - here are my current requirements

United Kingdom

ABERDEENSHIRE, Kirton, Peterhead

ANGLESEY, Holyhead, Maeshyfryd
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

BERKSHIRE, Sulham St. Nicholas

BRECKNOCKSHIRE, Beaufort

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive, Wycombe

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote

CARDIGANSHIRE, Cardigan, Lampeter, Llandre

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Abergwili, Ammanford, Carmarthen, Llandovery

CHESHIRE, Altrincham, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Handbridge, Sale, Macclesfield

CLWYD, Gwersyllt

DENBIGHSHIRE, Colwyn Bay, Gwersyllt, Gwyddelwern, Llangwyfan, Llanrwst

DERBYSHIRE, Shirebrook, Taxal,
DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth

DORSETSHIRE, Holt

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, (for Hartlepool see below under Yorkshire), Pelton

ESSEX, East Ham

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Aberdare, Cardiff, Crynant, Ebbw Vale, Llandaff, Llandough, Llanharry, Neath, Pontypridd, Southerdown, Swansea, , Ton Petre, Ystalyfera, Ystrd Mynach

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Badgeworth, Berkeley, Cheltenham, Leckhampton, Oldbury on Severn

GRAMPIAN, Blairdaff

GWENT, Ebww Vale

GWYNEDD, Bangor, Boduan, Llanbedrog, New Quay, Pwllheli
HAMPSHIRE, Alverstoke, Curdridge, Portsmouth, Southampton (Hollybrook Memorial and Old Cemetery)

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Dunboe, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Strabane)

ISLE OF LEWIS, Tolsta Chaolais

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Crayford, Eltham, Folkestone, Gillingham, Margate, Swanscombe, Tunbridge Wells

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Blackburn, Bolton, Chadderton, Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Eccles, Liverpool (Kirkdale), Pendlebury, Sale, Tyldesley, Walkden, Whitefield, Wigan

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton, Kirton in Lindsay, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Whaplode Drove, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Acton (unmarked plot), Brompton, Camberwell, Camden, Ealing, East Ham, East Sheen, Erith, Hampstead, Hampton, Harrow, Havering (Romford), Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green, Kensington, King's Cross, Lambeth, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh x 2, Loanhead

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan, Govilon, Tredegar

MONTYGOMERYSHIRE - Welshpool

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Duston
NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Nottingham
OXFORDSHIRE, Oxford

PERTHSHIRE, Dunblane

POWYS, Newtown
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond
STAFFORDSHIRE, Bradley, Brindley Ford, Chasetown, Lichfield, Newchapel, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Tettenhall, Tipton, Uttoxeter, Walsall, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Kessingland, Ipswich
SURREY, Betchworth, Bramley, Brookwood, Chessington, Chiddingfold, Kingswood, Sunbury on Thames, Witley
SUSSEX, Arlington, Horsham
WARWICKSHIRE, Smethwick
WILTSHIRE, Barford St. Martin, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Altofts, Barnsley, Harrogate, Hartlepool, Kippax, Kirkburton, Low Moor, Redcar, Scarborough, Sheffield, Skipton, South Anston, Staithes, Wakefield

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rockwood, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Castlemaine, Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, Alberta (Edmonton), New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (B
rigus, St. Johns), Nova Scotia (Fox River, +12), Ontario (Brantford, London, Paris), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Chaumont, Estaires (2), Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux, Sallanches
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Deansgrange, Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin),
Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Limerick,
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

NEW ZEALAND, Oamaru
PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
SERBIA, Belgrade, Kragujevac
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Evanston, Marion, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, Davenport), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2, Foxborough), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Tamaqua, Wilkes-Barr), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Virginia (Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), West Virginia (Clarksburg), Wisconsin (Superior)

On - Cheshire (Handbridge), Gloucestershire (Badgeworth, Cheltenham, Leckhampton), Grampian (Blairdaff), Ireland, N. (Co. Leinster, Kenagh, Co. Tyrone, Strabane), Kent (Eltham, Margate), Lancashire (Tyldesley, Whitefield), London (Brompton, Erith, Lambeth), Staffordshire (Bradley, Brindley Ford, Newchapel), Surrey (Betchworth, Witley), Wiltshire (Barford St. Martin), Yorkshire (Kippax, Kirkburton, Skipton), Canada, (Nova Scotia - Fox River), Ireland (Co. Kildare, Athy), Newfoundland (St. Johns)

Off - Cornwall (Falmouth), Cumbria (Keswick), Devon (Willand), Fifeshire (St. Andrews), Lancashire (Westhoughton), Leicestershire (Leicester), London (Frierns Barnet), Surrey (Burgh Heath, Guiuldford), Sussex (Bexhill on Sea, Eastbourne), Yorkshire (Eston)

Hi Jim

Just wondering which Chaumont it is in France. If it's Chaumont-en-Vexin I should be able to make it before too long.

Cheers Martin B

17 hours ago, Martin Bennitt said:

Hi Jim

Just wondering which Chaumont it is in France. If it's Chaumont-en-Vexin I should be able to make it before too long.

Cheers Martin B

My requirement is Edith White, Y.M.C.A., who died 13th March 1919 and is apparently buried in grave 55, Officer's plot, AEF Cemetery 10, Chaumont, Haute Marne. It looks to be a different cemetery to the one that you hope to visit. But thanks for the offer. Much appreciated.

51 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

My requirement is Edith White, Y.M.C.A., who died 13th March 1919 and is apparently buried in grave 55, Officer's plot, AEF Cemetery 10, Chaumont, Haute Marne. It looks to be a different cemetery to the one that you hope to visit. But thanks for the offer. Much appreciated.

Jim-How odd that she is not on CWGC-Is there any reason for this???  I note CWGC has 42 listed for the Great War-  including women-and also including post-Armistice as well.  Is this an "In From the Cold"??

On 26/05/2017 at 11:16, voltaire60 said:

Jim-How odd that she is not on CWGC-Is there any reason for this???  I note CWGC has 42 listed for the Great War-  including women-and also including post-Armistice as well.  Is this an "In From the Cold"??

Not CWGC because she served with the American Y.M.C.A.

13 hours ago, MacclesfieldReflects said:

Jim, what photos do you need from Macclesfield?

I need a photograph of the grave of Lily Gaskell, TFNS, who died 3rd January 1919 and is buried in vault M 9722, Macclesfield Cemetery. I have found a photo on the Web but cannot use it for copyright reasons. If you are willing to go I am happy to show the photograph to you so that you don't need to triaipse around the cemetery needlessly. It is one of two multiple graves that are adjoining. In M9722 is Elizabeth Gaskell (mother), Elizabeth Gaskell (daughter), Samuel Gaskell and Lily Gaskell. Her sister, Maggie, is in an adjoining grave. I also need Maggie's, (this one I don't have) as she was TFNS and died 6th July 1919. Another grave that I know is almost certainly in Macclesfield is that of Sarah Ann Wiggin, V.A.D., who died 2nd November 1918. I need not only a photograph of her grave but also of a memorial with her name on it which was in a Macclesfield chapel in 1919 but it's current whereabouts is unknown. I only mention her here just in case anyone has more information.

By the way - I gave you this same information in early April.

Jim 

Re Agnes Fanny HOLLINSHEAD, munition worker, (aged 16). died in the 4th quarter 1917. buried in Eston cemetery.

Having returned to the cemetery for the second time to try and locate a grave marker of the above

despite my best efforts I have been unsuccessful in locating  a grave marker  for A F Hollinshead

Eston cemetery is a large old cemetery many  of the grave markers have been lost with the passage of time and many have been  laid flat

its possible Angnes's is one of those

A grave reference and map  would help if one could be obtained

Regards Ray

17 hours ago, RaySearching said:

Jim 

Re Agnes Fanny HOLLINSHEAD, munition worker, (aged 16). died in the 4th quarter 1917. buried in Eston cemetery.

Having returned to the cemetery for the second time to try and locate a grave marker of the above

despite my best efforts I have been unsuccessful in locating  a grave marker  for A F Hollinshead

Eston cemetery is a large old cemetery many  of the grave markers have been lost with the passage of time and many have been  laid flat

its possible Angnes's is one of those

A grave reference and map  would help if one could be obtained

Regards Ray

Ray, I now have the grave reference and a map. Will come through direct, Jim

Jim

Who do you need from Friern Barnet? Not too far away and hopefully, I can do better than last time - still not traced the children possibly killed in an air raid I found last time, even though I couldn't find your two.

John

Hi Jim, I may be able to help you with Strabane Co Tyrone and possibly other places in Ireland. What do you need exactly? Regards, Bob.

18 hours ago, johntanner said:

Jim

Who do you need from Friern Barnet? Not too far away and hopefully, I can do better than last time - still not traced the children possibly killed in an air raid I found last time, even though I couldn't find your two.

John

John, My requirement is twofold. Firstly a photograph of the grave marker for Monica Machin Ferguson, VAD, who died 21st November 1918 and is buried in plot H, row 9, grave 6 in St. James the Great churchyard, Friern Barnet. I have one off the Web but cannot use it as it will likely be copyright. But I can provide it to you as a source of finding it if it helps. The headstone reads "In memory of Monica beloved eldest daughter of Bruce and Florence Ferguso, who died at the Military Hospital, Colchester Nov 21 1918 aged 24 years. Also of Robert Bruce Ferguson, father of the above, who died June 11th 1924 aged 61 years". Secondly her name is on the Friern Barnet War Memorial which I believe is in the same churchyard. A photograph of her name on that required, too, Jim

17 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

Hi Jim, I may be able to help you with Strabane Co Tyrone and possibly other places in Ireland. What do you need exactly? Regards, Bob.

Bob, Thank you for the offer. As far as Strabane is concerned I need a photograph of the grave of Mary Feely, VAD, who died in November 1917. She is buried in plot C. 403, Melmount Cemetery, Strabane. So far as other places in Ireland the listing is above, If you see any town that you might be near or visiting just let me know and I will be pleased to give you details of my requirements, Jim

Jim

Got to Friern Barnet this afternoon, so you should have the photos now in a PM.

John

Jim I sent an email with a link to download the photos from the web on 1st April. I assume you didn't receive the email. Will resend from my computer tomorrow.

johntanner - safely received, thank you.

MacclesfieldReflects - email has changed due to Freeserve no longer providing the service. But have picked up from the GWF messaging service. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jim

I've sent you an email with numerous images of the grave of Katie Evans, VAD from Maeshyfryd Cemetery, Holyhead. Hope they've got through to you.

Aled

On 13/06/2017 at 10:53, Carmania said:

Hello Jim

I've sent you an email with numerous images of the grave of Katie Evans, VAD from Maeshyfryd Cemetery, Holyhead. Hope they've got through to you.

Aled

Not received, yet. I suspect that you have used my old email address. I am now sending you an email direct giving you my new one. Thank you in anticipation, Jim