Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Today's harvest with the diggers in Boezinghe

tammilnad

Frans

Did you find out if the Finsbury Rifles were in action at the site in 1915? I assume that this north London lad was one of those interred recently?

Thanks

Stewart

Frans

Did you find out if the Finsbury Rifles were in action at the site in 1915? I assume that this north London lad was one of those interred recently?

Thanks

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

Up to now I have found no mention of the Finsbury Rifles in this area in 1915

This year no north London lads have been buried that we have found. If you are referring to the photo that was posted of the funeral, this took place in 2004.

Regards, Frans

Sorry - I meant the soldier ID'd by his cap badge as being from the 17th Londons, Poplar & Stepney Rifles (East rather than North London). Any news?

I'm looking for a trio for the Finsbury Rifles and it must have over occupied my mind.

Sorry - I meant the soldier ID'd by his cap badge as being from the 17th Londons, Poplar & Stepney Rifles (East rather than North London). Any news?

I'm looking for a trio for the Finsbury Rifles and it must have over occupied my mind.

Stewart,

regarding news of the 17th londons soldier, I am waiting for information. He was found before I started. As soon as I receive some info I will come back to you.

Regards, Frans

Frans,

My wife and I are visiting Ypres for a few days starting on Friday, 7 October

I am sorry about this late request, but is you team excavating at Boezinge this weekend on Saturaday or Sunday.

If so we would very much like to visit the dig, meet you and your team, and take in the general surroundings, and the atmosphere of the site. If not, or if you have too many visitors, never mind, some other time perhaps.

I have been following your postings with fascinating interest. Keep on posting

T :) ny

Frans,

My wife and I are visiting Ypres for a few days starting on Friday, 7 October

I am sorry about this late request, but is you team excavating at Boezinge this weekend on Saturaday or Sunday.

If so we would very much like to visit the dig, meet you and your team, and take in the general surroundings, and the atmosphere of the site.  If not, or if you have too many visitors, never mind, some other time perhaps.

I have been following your postings with fascinating interest.  Keep on posting

T :) ny

Tony,

I have sent you a PM.

Frans

This afternoon some of De Diggers spent some time repairing the Yorkshire Trench.

In misty conditions I could try out my new camera, my last one gave up the ghost a few days ago.

post-3158-1128625327.jpg

The cross of the insignia dated 1913. And the remains of the pin with still the cover over it. The rest of the helmit has disappeared.

post-3158-1128801280.jpg

post-3158-1128801299.jpg

Frans,

stunning finds and excellent photographs, thank you for keeping us up to date,

Thank you,

Scottie.

The last one for today. One for the handgrenade experts.

We have no idea which grenade this is. Must belong to the N8 family but I will have to wait for info from the Belgian Bomb squad.

post-3158-1128802818.jpg

post-3158-1128802835.jpg

Frans,

Have to say those are three fantastic finds - seriously envious of what you have found there...

The grenade is a 1915 No.8 MkI 'double cylinder' - shrapnel balls clearly evident packed round a central core of explosive - a scarce one to find these days.

Just to qualify the above and looking at it again it may in fact be a No.9. This was essentially the same method of construction by the same manufacturer (Roburite and Ammonal) - a double cylinder of balls around charge but the wooden spacers in the top and bottom of the No.8 were removed allowing a heavier fill of shrapnel balls. The No.9 (known as the 'heavy' pattern) was primarily intended for use with the spring gun or catapult.

An original below from the IWM fitted with a Nobel lighter:

post-569-1128815519.jpg

Hi Frans

Great photos your new camera is taking ;)

Annette

Here is a line drawing of a No.8 (courtesy Delhomme). The No.9 ommitted the wooden spacers so the extra balls went in their place. This one below has a basic Bickford cord fuze rather than the self-lighting Nobel.

post-569-1128845101.jpg

Frans,

They really are most outstanding photos and comments my 13 year old son now asks to see what you have been up to.

Thank you.

Rob