Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Today's harvest with the diggers in Boezinghe

tammilnad

That's an interesting point Phil - just goes to show how language evolves and meanings become accepted. What does a 1920's dictionary say about 'sad', 'gay', and 'roasting' for example?!? Sorry I cannot think of better examples...ahhhh, the modern world... :D

SAD & ROAST are fairly straightforward, but GAY is interesting:-

Full of mirth, light hearted, lively, cheerful, merry, given to pleasure, showy, brilliant in appearance, finely dressed; (euphemistically) wanton, immoral, licentious. So even then it had hidden depths! :) Phil B

When the machine has taken a slice the whole area is detected again. This is done layer after layer so nothing is damaged that could be in the ground.

post-3158-1122994760.jpg

Frans one question,

with the gas shells are you give protection against them incase the worst happens?

eg chemical suits and gas masks

I'll bow to your superior knowledge on the grenades, Giles. As I said, just reading the book!

There is a very poor photo in it of the correct (dart-like) way to release a No1 - I presume that, despite the picture now being 90 years old, the publishers have the copyright as part of the book?

Adrian

Frans one question,

with the gas shells are you give protection against them incase the worst happens?

eg chemical suits and gas masks

Garren we don't have suits and gas masks, but if you look in the beginnig of the postings you will be able to see that the area is searched first up to a depth of 2 meters, just to identify and remove large munitions. The area we are now there have been some fosfor grenades found and removed.

Because of the risks witn any munitions they are all removed carefully. Every time the exavator removes a layer the area is investigated again with detection. Just digging and hoping for luck is not an option.

Frans

I had the opportunity to fotograph this german flare pistol which was found a few years ago by the diggers in the boezinge area. To find one of these in this condition is unique.

post-3158-1123064410.jpg

I would like to congratulate everyone who has been associated with this thread. It is interesting and informative and has had over 30000 views...well done.

Andy

I would like to congratulate everyone who has been associated with this thread. It is interesting and informative and has had over 30000 views...well done.

Andy

May I add my congratulations on what has been an absolutely absorbing thread.

Carry on digging

Glyn

Some of the smaller items found last saturday. The unusual find was the little scraper which is in the middle of the photo. Home made and used maybe to clean the clay of the shovel.

post-3158-1123268114.jpg

Today started of as a normal day, but after about 30 minutes we found the remains of an English soldier. Finding the soldiers is a milestone for The Diggers because it is number 200 they have found.

The standard procedures are set in motion. The three Diggers Egon, Pol and Gabi take on the task of uncovering the remains. The whole process from start to finish takes several hours and is done with the utmost care, that if there is anything that could possibly help to identify this soldier is not mist.

Jacky on the top left and Andre on the top right of the photo are the persons who attend the funerals for The Diggers when they take place.

post-3158-1123354232.jpg

On a day like today it brings home to the group that there is more then bombs and bullits. The atmosphere is subdued and brings home the reality of war to all of us once again. The group takes great pride in the way they uncover remains and today one more soldier will get his proper resting place.

On the photo the work is done and the remains have been removed from the ground with any other relevant material that could help to identify the remains.

The police officially take charge of the remains and for us The Diggers our part of the process has been completed.

We discussed in the group this afternoon what procedure we will follow regarding information regarding the soldier.

It was decided there would be no change and that we will not make any more announcements regarding this soldier until the CWGC makes its official announcement.

As for me today was a very sobering experience I will out of respect for the soldier not post anymore today and will show the rest of our work starting from tomorrow.

Regards Frans

post-3158-1123355127.jpg

Please keep us informed of your thoughts and progress relating to the remains you have found, and thank you for bringing another man back from the cold.

Here is a clear example of how the excavating machine is used as a slicer. Even the smallest items are found and located. This spoon was only about 12 inches under the surface.

post-3158-1123444875.jpg

Another Toffee apple find. This one had been fired but failed to explode.

As you can see the find was just under the surface.

post-3158-1123521878.jpg

Another Toffee apple. They are always found just belowe the surface. The weapon was to blunt to be able to penetrate into the clay layer which is here at about 70 cm.

post-3158-1123958920.jpg

These three are pritty rare a small kind of Toffee apple as soon as I know the exact type I will post it.

It looks to me as the Vickers mortar... smaller than the normal toffee apple

These three are pritty rare a small kind of Toffee apple as soon as I know the exact type I will post it.

1.57 inch trench mortar Vickers.

1.57 inch is the tail diameter of the mortar.

m.l.- muzzle loaded

2 models 33lbs and 18 lbs.

Explosive charge 1 kilo and 0.5 kilo.