Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Today's harvest with the diggers in Boezinghe

tammilnad

Due to the bad weather conditions last weekend there was no work done in the field. The picture is of detonators which have been cleaned which were found in previous weeks.

post-3158-1125000452.jpg

Great picture non the less

Laid out like that they almost look like art, Frans.

Hope the weather perks up for the Diggers

Guest PROCONSUL

I have been following this thread with the greatest of interest and I would like to add the attached photo. I think it apropriate to show to those kind souls (the Diggers) who take such care with the war dead that, where possible, all efforts are made to provide a fallen soldier with a final and dignified resting place amongst his comrades.

The photo shows the burial of two soldiers from the 17thpost-7243-1125292585.jpg London regiment. Recovered in 2004. Names unknown and only identified from a heavily corroded badge uncovered at the same time.

The circumstances were that two bodies were found together. One body was identified by its recovered cap badge but not the other. The consequence is that one headstone only has a badge but neither have a name. The uniformed officer is a Brigadier who is presently serving and who considered it an honour to attend the burial. The other two chaps are the Hon Sec of the Tower Hamlets Rifles Assn for many years,and the Padre from St Georges in Ypres.

I just thoight it would be nice to show the wheelgoing full circle as it were and that respect runs all the way.

Makes you quite proud to be British.

Tim

Thanks for keeping us up to date with all you are doing, it is both moving and fascinating.

The badge looks like Kings Royal Rifle Corps but I hesitate as the surrounding leaves don't go with it. Any help as to what the badge is?

Thanks Rob

Thanks for that Chris.

Cheers,

Rob

It was good to see these pics - thanks for posting.

Marina

Yes, this is obviously a really good thread, as I have nothing of interest to add I'll just continue to follow it.................. but many thanks nonetheless

Info on the 17th Londons can be found HERE.

Buy the badge HERE.

Nice image HERE..

Badge seems to match but can anyone check the war diary and see if the 17th were at Boezinghe in 15 or 16? I'd assume no later as the cap badge indicate a cap wearer rather than a tin hat (Frans can you enlighten us)?

Info on the 17th Londons can be found HERE.

Buy the badge HERE.

Nice image HERE..

Badge seems to match but can anyone check the war diary and see if the 17th were at Boezinghe in 15 or 16? I'd assume no later as the cap badge indicate a cap wearer rather than a tin hat (Frans can you enlighten us)?

I will find out for you mcderms, it was before I started with De Diggers. I will come back to you,

Frans

Excellent thread and thanks for for posting the picture.

Good to see that the lads were buried with due respect and ceremony as they deserve and all as a result of the work of the Diggers.

I was told on a recent trip to the Western Front that a lot of soldiers carried their cap badges in their jacket pockets and that this was where they would be found for identification of the regiment.

Seems reasonable when you consider that they had to pay for the badge if they lost it and then pay for a replacement. Anybody else heard this?

Here you can see that it is actually the charge of a shell and just scatterred over the area. There is no problem at all after ninety years to light it. Once again it shows that great care should be taken with any item. It can still all be lethal.

post-3158-1125777597.jpg

That is where the detonators normally are.

But they are missing here.

this is how it normally looks like:

Page6discus.jpg

And the name 'discus', although in common usage is a bit of a misnomer. It was not designed to be cast in a horizontal plane like a discus but actually in a vertical manner. Index finger over the top cover. The pin was pulled and as the grenade was spun centrifugal force expelled the brass inner piece exposing the central star striker to the detonators (four) - any of which on contact with the ground would explode the grenade. The one shown is a defensive pattern - the smaller offensive is much rarer.

This is what the inside of a defensive discus or 'oyster' grenade looks like, charge held in the cloth bag:

post-569-1125954992.jpg

Thanks guys

Obviously no expert on arms and equipment, me.(visions of the Olympic style discus throwingas perpetrated by tachey ladies of eastern europe) :ph34r:

Late last saturday we stumbled on the remains of possibly three soldiers. Because it was to late to set the official procedure in motion, they were covered up again.

The photo shows that we have removed the sheeting from last week and that the area has become restricted access.

I will explain what the official procedure is.

Firstly before anything can be done a police officer has to be present. We receive instructions from him and he determins if it becomes a restricted area. We will unearth the remains and these are documented and photographed. Then removed and put in a special bag. Then we carry on around the remains for anything that could help to identify the remains. These are all bagged and documented. The moment that this is done our work (De Diggers) is completed.

The police officer will take the remains to the Houthulst Barracks where if needed a pathologist will do further investigations. When certain to the identity of the remains the Belgian Home Office will contact the English, German or French authorities and hand over the remains to them.

The identification process is done by the respective countries.

post-3158-1126379114.jpg

What we found was unexpected. Two german soldiers and an Englishman sandwiched inbetween. It was a difficult and time consuming job which took all of us the entire afternoon.

On the photo the first of the German soldiers is being removed.

post-3158-1126380471.jpg