Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German names from Wolf's book

stevenbecker

Cheers Mates,

I take it no idea on the other two?

Freye     LtzS d.L Marine    Lt der Landwehr - Sdr-Kdo (Sonderkommando Usedom) Artillery officer - Coastal Artillery    1914-    leicht verwundet WIA 1914 arm accident shot by own soldier RTG 1914 (not identified) shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Fries Franz     Capt / Hptm    Accountant - de Türk ordusunda görev alir (takes charge in the Turkish army)    1916-18    (not identified) shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

I surpose this man would be the same?

Froese Martin    Lt    Coastal Inspectorate     1915-16    awarded EK II 1-16 shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

13 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Freye     LtzS d.L Marine    Lt der Landwehr - Sdr-Kdo (Sonderkommando Usedom) Artillery officer - Coastal Artillery    1914-

Steve,

Double entry (Frege/Freye). Oberleutnant zur See Konrad Frege an original member of the Sonderkommando. Born 18 June 1888 in Schneidemühl. A  later naval pilot promoted to Kapitänleutnant on 14.10.17. Left the navy on 9 September 1920. Entered the Luftwaffe in the early thirties as an Ergänzungsoffizier  and rose to the rank of Oberst.

13 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Fries Franz     Capt / Hptm    Accountant

Nothing on him (yet).

Regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J

3 hours ago, Glenn J said:

Oberleutnant zur See Konrad Frege

Bildschirmfoto2024-03-09um11_57_29.png.82ed4ae2ea72b0fa469d173e0a7db3b0.png

courtesy Luftwaffe career summaries. Probably taken into Luftwaffen-service in March 1933.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

1 hour ago, GreyC said:

courtesy Luftwaffe career summaries. Probably taken into Luftwaffen-service in March 1933.

Thanks Grey,

that agrees with his career summary in his "Crew book" entry for the crew of 1907.

Regards

Glenn

Frege.jpg.7a179ab379b03573ce4b7a061de88678.jpg

2 minutes ago, Glenn J said:

entry for the crew of 1907.

published when, if I may ask?

Best,

GreyC

2 hours ago, GreyC said:

published when, if I may ask?

Hi Grey,

of course; 1959 - "Geschichte der Crew 1907", self published I presume. The foreword is by the crew's then senior living officer: Generaladmiral Otto Schniewind.

Regards

Glenn

Interest how Wolf or translator got it so wrong?

Frege Conrad (Konrad)    ObLtzS (Capt) Marine    II Matrosen Artillerie Adtl commander of a Torpedo boat the Dardanelles to Dardanelles artillery commander - shown Forts at Ertrogul (with 14 men 7-9-14) and Hamdiye (1915)     1915-18    (born 1888 at Schneidemühl ) schwer verwundet (badly wounded) WIA 27-1-15 at Fort Hamdiye (wolf shows WIA 27-9-14 by English ships) RTG awarded EK II 27-1-16 shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Freye    LtzS d.L Marine    Lt der Landwehr - Sdr-Kdo (Sonderkommando Usedom) Artillery officer - Coastal Artillery    1914-    leicht verwundet WIA 1914 arm accident shot by own soldier RTG 1914 (not identified) another who could not be found in the records under that name and details? possibly see Frege shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Frege's wounding is shown in the Geheime Marine Verlustliste

Todays

I think you gave him before but not any Bio details?

Fritzsche Rudolf     Capt / Hptm Eng    Ingenieur (mining engineer) Controling Ore deliveries to Germany - Türkiye'den Almanya'ya gidecek Krom bakir ve mangan gibi maddelerden sorumlu (He will go to Germany from Turkey responsible for virgin materials such as chrome and manganese)    1916-18    (not identified) (Landwehr-Bezirk Kattowitz) from Railway-Regiment No 3 retired Charakter as a Major 1921 shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Froese (Fröse) Martin    Lt    Coastal Inspectorate     1915-16    awarded EK II 1-16 shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Fünfhausen     civilian / Lt    Pilot Airforce att Dardanelles Flieger-Abteilung 2-15 shown 1st Aircraft Company Tayyare Boluk 9-15 to OC 7th Aircraft Company Tayyare Boluk (from Anschwitz) 10-16 to 12-16 (shown with the German Naval Seaplane Group (GNSG) (Wasserfliegerabteilung) in Wolf's book?)    1915-18    (Shown German-Turkish Air Auxiliary Command at Czerneheviz in Hungary) ferry aircraft to Turkey Feb to Aug 1915 shown in Albatros C1 with Capt Schlichting (O) in attack on British Monitors off Suva 2-12-15 shown with Maj Siegert (O) in Albatross C1 over Imbros and Lemnos 6-1-16 shown Albatros B1 with Lt Anschwitz (O) attacked a Monitor off Imbros 2-2-16 shown Albatros B1 (A11) with Lt Kettembeil (O) crashed into sea off Tenedos after raid and saved 6-16 RTG 1917 (not identified) (spelling in Ole Nikoljsen) shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Gabler    Lt    Deutsche Militär-Mission in der Türkei -     1914-    shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Gäckle Immanuel    Ingenieur (Ing) Marine     Ingenieur SMS Breslau (Midilli)    1914-17    awarded EK I 8-16 shown in Klaus Wolf's Book (not identified) 

Immanuel Gäckle , born June 1, 1890, entered the navy in October 1908; Marine-Ingenieur-Aspirant September 12, 1912 (warrant officer rank/officer candidate).

Marine-Ingenieur (naval engineering equivalent of a Leutnant zur See) September 18, 1915.

Marine-Oberingenieur April 26, 1917 (naval engineering equivalent of an Oberleutnant zur See)

He’s on Breslau to March 1917, then does what many a junior Kaiserliche Marine engineer did during the war: go to submarine school, which he completes in July 1917. He’s then sent back to the Mediterranean to serve as the LI (Leitender Ingenieur = chief engineer) of U 32, based out of the Austro-Hungarian ports. Gäckle, along with the rest of U 32’s crew are killed on May 8, 1918 when the submarine is sunk by depth charges from by HMS Wallflower off Malta.

German decorations by August 1916 is just the EK2; by early 1918 also the EK1 (not a surprise given a U-boat combat posting).

Mates,

Thanks for that Michael, always interesting when these U Boat men show up.

I was checking others by the name Freye, and veriations and noticed this man shown in the Geheime Marine Verlustliste

I did wonder if he is the same as above?

Leutnant der Landwehr Frey 3Bn leicht verwundet

No ship/unit shown other then III Bn 

6 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Leutnant der Landwehr Frey 3Bn leicht verwundet

No ship/unit shown other then III Bn 

Steve.

different chap altogether, a former army Landwehr officer reactivated in 1914 and serving with the Marinekorps Flandern.

Regards

Glenn

20 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Interest how Wolf or translator got it so wrong?

Fairly par for the course it would seem.

20 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Gabler    Lt    Deutsche Militär-Mission in der Türkei -     1914- 

No one of that name in the military mission in 1914 but I would lay odds on yet another double mistaken entry for Marine-Infanterie Oberleutnant (28.11.14) Reinhold Hans Carl Theodor Gebler of the Sonderkommando who was there in 1914! Born 21 September 1888 in Ratzeburg. Originally commissioned into Füsilier-Regiment Nr. 73 on 18 8.08, he transferred into the I. See-Bataillon on 22 October 1913. In November 1915 he returned to the Western front where he served with the Marinekorps Flandern until wars end. Promoted to Hauptmann on 18 April 1916, he retired with permission to wear the uniform of FR 73 on 31 March 1920. Died 10 July 1957 in Flensburg.

Regards

Glenn

Cheers

Yes this can drive you crazy some times?

Todays

Gerlach Johannes    Funk LtzS (Kapt) Marine     1st Wireless officer SMS Goeben (Yavuz) 1914     1914-15    mentioned in book by Kress (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

any Bio details (born ?) on this man?

Gerlach Johannes or Konrad    ObLt (Capt) Eng    Deutsche Militär-Mission in der Türkei - Ingenieur (Engineer officer) shown with Ottoman 4th Army attach Canel Expedition 2-15 Pionier-Instrukteur und Kommandeur Pionier- Bataillon No 8 2-15 1. Istihkam Taburu Komutani 3.Kolordu istihbarat subayi 307. Istihk. Tab. Kom (1st Engineer Bn commander to 3rd Army intelligence officer Caucasus to CO 307th Employ. Tab. kom) - shown Eng CO 307th Eng Co    1914-18    from Pionier-Bataillon Fürst Radziwill (Ostpreußisches) Nr. 1 1907 to 1. Elsässisches Pionier-Bataillon 1911 (Pionier-Bataillon 15 1914) to Capt 27-7-15 retired 1920 as Major employed at the Deutsch-Türkische Handels1920 shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Johannes Gerlach is a weird one. Born on November 10, 1890, Crew 1908, Oberleutnant zur See September 19, 1914. On Goeben to October 1915. Returns home November 3, 1915, out of service (!!!) November 13, 1915. He returns to service on June 26, 1916, not on the normal active officer list but rather in the "out of service naval officer reused during the war" classification as an infantry officer in Flanders.

Charakter as Kapitänleutnant October 30, 1919 with seniority date of December 5, 1918.

On 09/03/2024 at 20:55, stevenbecker said:

Fünfhausen     civilian / Lt 

Steve,

I can find co commissioning data for a Leutnant Fünfhausen. He did exist and the name is spelt correctly so one assumes he was a German SNCO with an Ottoman lieutenancy. A Major d.R. (1.3.43) Richard Fünfhausen, born 11 October 1893 appears in WW2. Unfortunately, his documents although held at the Bundesarchiv, have not yet been digitized. The Luftwaffe careers summary site shows him as missing in action (no date) in WW2. Most likely our man. 

Regards

Glenn

9 hours ago, Michael Lowrey said:

Returns home November 3, 1915, out of service (!!!) November 13, 1915.

Herr Gerlach was born at Greifenberg in Pomerania. He had retired on medical grounds (hearing loss) in 1915 so presumably the condition was not deemed serious enough to preclude him being assigned to the Marinekorps Flandern the following year. Following the war, he joined the state postal administration and rose to be a senior postal official. He died on 9 November 1949 in Königswusterhausen.

Regards

Glenn

Cheers

Todays all Navy men

Gesche Hans    Zahlmeister Marine    Zahlmeister (Paymaster) SMS Goeben (Yavuz) and SMS Breslau (Midilli)     1914-16    (not identified) shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Giebeler Werner    Kapt-Lt Marine    Navigation officer SMS Goeben (Yavuz)    1915-17    (not identified) shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Gies Jacob    Ingenieur (Ing) Marine     Ingenieur (Engineer officer) SMS Goeben (Yavuz) RTG return Engineer officer Ottoman Coastal defence ship "Muin-i Zafer" and "Tir-i Müjgan" (depot ship) RTG return as Instructor 1918 shown (Ing) S.I. "Tir-i Müjgan" (depot ship) 1918    1914-15 1915-17 1918    (not identified) shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Giese Dietrich     WO (Ing) Marine    Ingenieur (Engineer officer) SMS Goeben (Yavuz) and Ottoman Torpedo Boat RTG 1917 return LtzS deR Z.Vfg (Tigris-Euphrates Flotila Det) Euphrates Kampf gruppe) 1918    1915-17 1918    (not identified) shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

I think your right about Fünfhausen, after checking I notice another is shown as civilian / Unteroffizier (Lt), only one is shown later as Capt/Hptm

They all had to Civilians (German-Turkish Air Auxiliary Command) to ferry planes to Turkey

Baldsum     civilian / Unteroffizier (Lt)
Böhm (Boehm) Reinhold or Siegfried    civilian / Lt (Capt) 
Erblich Heinz    civilian / Unteroffizier (Lt)
Fünfhausen  Richard    civilian / Unteroffizier (Lt)
Garber Hugo Johann Max Jakob    civilian / Unteroffizier (Lt)
Giror Kurt    civilian / Unteroffizier (Lt)
König Benno    civilian / Unteroffizier (Lt)
Preussner Louis (Preußner Ludwig)    civilian / Unteroffizier (Lt)
Röder Hermann    civilian / Unteroffizier (Lt)
Schäfer (Schäffer Albert) (Schulter Siegfreid)    civilian / Unteroffizier (Lt)
Seidler or Seydler or Sydler Frank     civilian / Unteroffizier (Lt)
Stockhausen J.    civilian / Unteroffizier (Lt)

Werner Giebeler, born April 24, 1888, Crew 1907, Oberleutnant zur See September 27, 1913, Kapitänleutnant April 28, 1918. Watch officer on Augsburg to May 1915, then watch officer on Goeben to January 1917, then back to Germany as a watch officer on Großer Kurfürst to the end of the war.

German decorations in early 1918 are the EKI and Hesse’s Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen für Tapferkeit. Out of naval service March 6, 1920.

Jacob Gies , born August 23, 1884, entered the navy October 1903, Marine-Ingenieur-Aspirant der Seewehr I. (warrant officer/officer candidate of the Seewehr) November 13, 1908. Marine-Ingenieur der Seewehr I., February 15, 1915, Marine-Oberngenieur der Seewehr I. May 24, 1917.

He’s on Goeben while still an officer candidate, from August or September 1914 to March 1915, then an instructor on Turkish ships to the end of the war (Muin-i Zafer, Tir-i Müjgan).

German decoration in early 1918 just the EK2. Out of naval service December 21, 1918

And because he's down the page from Gies:

Wilhelm Lühder, born June 30, 1885, entered the navy October 1905, Marine-Ingenieur der Seewehr I., May 13, 1915, Marine-Oberngenieur der Seewehr I. August 20, 1917.

Lühder was on Goeben throughout the war.

German decoration in early 1918 just the EK2. Out of naval service December 31, 1918

Hans Gesche was never a commissioned officer during the war. he was born on May 20, 1894 and only entered the navy in April 1913, I would guess as a one-year volunteer on a path to eventually becoming a Zahlmeister. He’s on Breslau to September 1914, then Goeben to July 1915, and back to Breslau through February 1916. He’s then back in Germany, either at the Engineer and Warrant Officer’s School or with the fleet for the rest of the war.

Gesche is promoted to Marine-Zahlmeister-Aspirant on January 27, 1917 (warrant officer rank and (commissioned) officer candidate). Out of naval service on March 10, 1920. Charakter as Marine-Zahlmeister on June 12, 1920.

10 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Giese Dietrich     WO (Ing) Marine    Ingenieur (Engineer officer) SMS Goeben 

Vizesteuermann der Reserve Dietrich Giese was not an engineering warrant officer or officer. He was a reserve line officer candidate commissioned as a Leutnant zur See der Reserve on 17 October 1915. Born 27 November 1888, he was on SMS Goeben until February 1915 before assignment to the Ottoman torpedo boat flotilla until November 1917. With the River Euphrates detachment until July 1918 and finally with II. Matrosendivision in Wilhelmshaven until wars end. Demobilised on 3 November 1918.

Regards

Glenn

14 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Giebeler Werner    Kapt-Lt Marine 

Some additions to Werner Giebeler:

Born in Mainz, the son of the then Prussian field artillery Premier-Lieutenant and later Generalleutnant Karl Giebeler. Between the wars, he was a prisons inspections official at various penal establishments to include Lichtenburg, Naumburg and Halle. Recalled for service in WW2 initially on the staff of the recruiting district headquarters at Plauen in 1939/40. In 1940-42 he was the company commander of the naval staff company in Narvik and then spent the rest of the war at the security chief of the torpedo testing facility at Eckernförde. Final rank was Korvettenkapitän z.V. Still alive and living in Eckernförde in 1970.

Regards

Glenn

Thanks, always interesting 

Todays more Navy men

Giloi Fritz    WO (Ing) Marine    Ingenieur SMS Goeben (Yavuz)    1914-15    (not identified) shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Glahn Walter    LtzS deR Marine    Civil servant in Canakkale to Mines clearance command - Minesweeper Sqn in Istanbul to Torpedo Boat Flotilla shown Ottoman Torpedo Boat Half Flotilla 1918 kdt z. schifffahrt gruppe des gen. quart. mstr (Commander shipping group of the GQM)    1914-18    (not identified) shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Gloger Max    ObZahlmeister Marine    Oberzahlmeister Paymaster SMS Goeben (Yavuz)    1914-15    (not identified) shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Göebel Alfons     Stabsarzt Dr Marine    Stabsarzt Medical MMD (Military Mediterranean Division) at Canakkale    1915-17    (not identified) shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Dr. Alfons Göbel (note spelling), born August 1, 1885, Stabsarzt (medical equivalent of a Kapitänleutnant) March 12, 1915. Göbel just makes a brief appearance in theater, arriving about September 1915 and returning to Germany in January 1916. Out of naval service July 14, 1919.

German decorations in early 1918 are the EK2 and the Bavarian Military Merit Order.