Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German names from Wolf's book

stevenbecker

Mates,

For some time we have been discussing the names shown in Wolf's book "Victory at Gallipoli 1915".

Where he lists the names of German Officers sent to Turkey to help during the period

Having checked the book I found many names to be incorrect or translated incorrectly, and many not there during the period.

I have taken what information Wolf gives us, and added to it where I have possibly found his name from other sources?

To continue from where we left off

Blaschke Ernst     Lt Eng    Ingenieur (Engineer officer) Unit unknown    1916-    (not identified)? possibly Sigs officer 23-11-15 RTG Telegraphen-Bataillon No 5 shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Blume     Kapt-Lt Dr Marine     Stabsarzt SMS Goeben (Yavuz) - Hekim Subay (Physician Officer)    1914-15    (not identified) shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Edited by stevenbecker

18 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Blaschke Ernst     Lt Eng    Ingenieur (Engineer officer) Unit unknown    1916-    (not identified)? possibly Sigs officer 23-11-15 RTG Telegraphen-Bataillon No 5 shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Steve,

we spoke about this guy on the Kreß engineer thread. He is the only possibility with the first name of Ernst.

Now, here is an interesting thing. Although one cannot access the full German language version of "Gallipoli 1915: das deutsch-türkische Militärbündnis im Ersten Weltkrieg" on Google books, one can search the "snippet" view and search his officers' table. Obviously ranks are given in the original German but strangely many of the guys listed in the English language version are not there or if they are there, often no first name is given. Blaschke is a point in case; not listed at all.

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Gallipoli_1915.html?id=lrQhAQAAIAAJ&redir_esc=y

Regards

Glenn

20 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Blume     Kapt-Lt Dr Marine     Stabsarzt SMS Goeben (Yavuz) - Hekim Subay (Physician Officer)    1914-15    (not identified) shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Steve,

we are not off to a great start!

It will probably come as no surprise that there was no medical officer of any rank in the German navy with the name Blume. In fact no officer of any branch. He is not listed in the German edition either. I checked for Blum including line and engineer officers of that name; no hits.  Either a mangled name or rank or both??

Regards

Glenn

No worries, I get these names mixed up so your eyes pick up my mistakes better then me.

todays

Bluth Ernst     ObLtzS Marine    SMS Goeben (Yavuz)    1915-16    (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Bodenstein Alwin    ObLtzS (Ing) Marine    OberIngenieur (Engineer officer) 2nd Watch officer SMS Goeben (Yavuz) 1914 Mühendis Subay Ingenieur (Engineer officer) to Iraq Flotilla under KaptzS Ney 12-15    1914-16    (not identified) shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Boechringer Julius    LtzS (Ing) Marine    Ingenieur (Engineer officer) Military Mediterranean Division MMD    1915-16    (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

12 hours ago, Glenn J said:

Steve,

we are not off to a great start!

It will probably come as no surprise that there was no medical officer of any rank in the German navy with the name Blume. In fact no officer of any branch. He is not listed in the German edition either. I checked for Blum including line and engineer officers of that name; no hits.  Either a mangled name or rank or both??

Regards

Glenn

He was Stabsarzt der Landwehr a.D Richard Blume. His Patents were Saxon and had started his military career as a Einjährig-Freiwilliger in 1890. 

https://www.feldgrau-forum.com/threads/nicht-gewuerdigte-truppenteile-die-militaeraerzte.45642/#post-271467

Charlie

6 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

He was Stabsarzt der Landwehr a.D Richard Blume.

Charlie,

excellent. Thank you.

This is a screenshot from the English language edition of "Victory at Gallipoli". Just goes to show what we are up against.

Blume.jpg.5753fb3743623effc59db89721f33230.jpg

I checked the Reichs-Medizinal-Kalender of 1914. It lists a Dr. Richard Blume practicing medicine in Bismarck, Kreis Stendal. 

Regards

Glenn

1 hour ago, Glenn J said:

Just goes to show what we are up against.

That sort of information is more of a hinderance than a help.

Charlie

Just now, charlie2 said:

That sort of information is more of a hinderance than a help.

Hi Charlie,

Indeed, and much of the English language edition is like this.

Regards

Glenn

4 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Bluth Ernst     ObLtzS Marine    SMS Goeben (Yavuz)    1915-16

Ernst Bluth, born 19 September 1893 in Braunschweig. Crew of 1914, entered service 26 March 1914. Initially in training on SMS Hansa at mobilisation. Served successively on the Seydlitz and Schwaben. Assigned to the Goeben in August 1915 still in the rank of Fähnrich zur See. Returned to the home fleet (SMS  Rheinland) in July 1916 and was promoted Leutnant (without a patent) on 12 October 1916 and substantively on 20 February 1917. From June 1915 with torpedo boats for the rest of the war. In the export business between the wars and re-joined the Kriegsmarine in 1935 and shortly thereafter entered the Luftwaffe where he rose to the rank of Oberst (1.9.43). Died February 1946.

Regards

Glenn

11 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Bodenstein Alwin    ObLtzS (Ing) Marine    OberIngenieur (Engineer officer) 2nd Watch officer SMS Goeben

Alwin Bodenstein, born 15 September 1881. Entered the navy on 7 April 1900. Promoted to Maschinist on 1 .11.06 and appointed as a Marine-Ingenieuraspirant on 16.10.07.  Further promoted to Marine-Ingenieurasprant on 1.7.08, he was commissioned as a Marine-Ingenieur on 30.10.09. A Marine-Oberingenieur since 22.3.14 he was a watch engineer on the Goeben at the outbreak of the war. In July 1915 he was assigned as the flotilla engineer of the Iraq river flotilla until returning to Germany in October 1916 with assignment as the 2nd engineer on SMS Cöln II. Retired 24 November 1919 and Charakter as a Kapitänleutnant (Ing.) on 26 January 1920.

Regards

Glenn

14 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Boechringer Julius    LtzS (Ing) Marine    Ingenieur (Engineer officer) Military Mediterranean Division MMD  

Steve,

must be Marine-Oberingenieur der Seewehr (27.1 15) Julius Böhringer, born 20 June 1872, In the Mediterranean theatre from November 1915 to September 1916. Ran the coal mine at Schefketie from December 1915 until return to Germany. Demobilised 20 January 1919.

Regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J

Thanks guys great work.

Boerner (Börner)   LtzS Marine    SMS Goeben (Yavuz) and SMS Breslau (Midilli)     1915-17    (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Böhmer Johannes    Zahlmeister Marine    Zahlmeister (Paymaster) SMS Goeben (Yavuz) to depot Ship  "General" 1918     1917-18    (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Borggräfe Wilhelm    Lt    Sdr-Kdo (Sonderkommando Usedom) Artillery officer - Coastal Artillery    1915-18    (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Wilhelm Borggräfe, born February 18, 1890, joined the Navy October 1911, Leutnant der Reserve der Matrosenartillerie on January 18, 1918; Deutsche Abteilung Dardanellen June October 1915, then Bosperus through April 1918. Out of naval service January 21, 1920.

Johannes Böhmer, born February 25, 1893, joined the Navy April 1911, looks to have been promoted to warrant officer rank during the war, Marine Zahlmeister (paymaster equivalent of a Leutnant zur See) July 31, 1917, which is also about when he appears in theater as the second Zahlmeister on Goeben. He was there through October, when he transfers to the Mittlemeer Division.

9 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Boerner (Börner)   LtzS Marine    SMS Goeben (Yavuz) and SMS Breslau (Midilli)  

Leutnant zur See Hans Boerner, born Flörsheim am Main on 26 September 1895. Crew of 1914. Assigned to the Goeben as a Fähnrich zur See in June 1915, moving to the Breslau in October 1915. Commissioned 13 July 1916 (without a patent) and substantively on 20 February 1917. Posted back to the Western theatre in March 1917 to torpedo boats. Retired 27 December 1919 and Charakter as Oberleutnant zur See on 16 January 1921. Served in WW2 as a Kapitänleutnant der Reserve and died of Tuberculosis on 10 December 1949.

Regards

Glenn

Great 

to days

Bormann Fritz    ObLtzS Marine    Navigation Officer Ottoman Destroyer "Yadigar-i Millet" sunk 9/10-7-17 and Destroyer "Basra"    1915-18    On ship when bombed by a British RNAS Handley Page bomber 0/100 (Sqn Cdr K Savory) attacked the SMS Goeben at bay of Istinye on Bosporus but hit the Yadigar next to her with the loss of 29 men 9/10-7-17 (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Bötzow Willi     Capt / Hptm (Maj)    Deutsche Militär-Mission in der Türkei - (staff) to General Bischoff'un emir subayi (to General Bischoff's order sub-dealer) - OzbV Adjt (ADC) to Gen Bischof    1916-18     (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Boyne    WO (LI) Marine    Ingenieuroberaspirant officer candidate to Ingenieur (Engineer) UC 23 Constantinople Flotilla (shown UB 23 not in Med) U Boat     1915-16    (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

We may of discussed Boyne before? as first glace showed UB 23 in Wolf? but she was not in Med, so it was thought maybe UC 23?

Possibly you blokes may have a better look

The curse of Wolf: neither of the "naval officers" appear in any navy list so one must assume again mis-spelt names or faulty ranks. More investigation of these two required.

Fortunately Rittmeister Fritz Willy Bötzow born 7 February 1882 in Berlin is more straightforward. A pre-war regular, the adjutant of the Garde-Train-Abteilung in the rank of Oberleutnant (18.4.13) in 1914. He remained in the Reichswehr at wars end retiring as an Oberstleutnant in the war ministry in 1931/32. Luftwaffe Oberst in WW2.

Regards

Glenn

21 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Bormann Fritz  

Found him! Leutnant zur See der Reserve (20.8.17) Fritz Borrmann, born 28 August 1892 in Dresden. With the Mittelmeerdivision for much of the war beginning in July 1915 with assignments to Turkish torpoedo boat "Jadighar", "Derindje" and "Basra". November 1917 - shore detachment Kilia Tepe and to the Ottoman torpedo half-flottilla Sewastopel in May 1918. Demobilised 27 November 1918.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn,

I take you mean

Boyne    WO (LI) Marine    Ingenieuroberaspirant officer candidate to Ingenieur (Engineer) UC 23 Constantinople Flotilla (shown UB 23 not in Med) U Boat     1915-16    (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Yes I am unsure also 

Todays

Brandt Wilhelm    LtzS to ObLtzS Marine    SMS Goeben (Yavuz) att Mines clearance command - Mine Sweeping Sqn Dardanelles and Bty Officer Usedom Bty - Çanakkale Yenisehir'de gözetleme subayi (Surveillance officer at Çanakkale Yenisehir)    1914-16    awarded EK II 26-7-15 & EK I 7-16 and Ottoman Silver Liakat Medal 12-10-15 (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Bressel (Breßel)    ObLtzS Marine    Officer Ottoman Battleship "Torgut Reit" (Turgut Reis) 1915    1915-    (not identified) shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

12 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

I take you mean

Boyne    

Hi Steve, 

yes, although Borrmann's name was misspelt as well. Something is wrong with the name Boyne. If he was indeed either a Marine-Ingenieuroberaspirant or Marine-Ingenieur, he would be listed somewhere; he is not. Therefore, the name is most probably wrong but I have also checked the name Bohne and other similar names with no results.

12 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Brandt Wilhelm    LtzS to ObLtzS Marine    SMS Goeben 

Oberleutnant zur See (26.4.17) Wilhelm Walter Georg Brandt, born 8 April 1894 in Naugard, Pomerania. Crew of 1911. On the Goeben since Autumn of 1913. Assigned to the Sonderkommando in September 1914 where he served in the Dardanelles and thereafter leader of the III. mine-sweeping division. In June 1916 back to Germany and command of M 52. With mine-sweepers until the end of the war. Retired 21 November 1919. After the war studied medicine and practiced in Berlin.

Regards

Glenn

13 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Bressel (Breßel)    ObLtzS Marine 

Another clumsy double entry in Wolf's table!

Oberleutnant zur See (26.4.17) Karl Georg Hans Dressel, born 3 September 1891 in Annaberg, Saxony. Crew of 1911. On the Goeben since October 1913. On the Torgut Reis from August 1914 to April 1916 then back to the Goeben. Also temporarily assigned at various times in the latter half of the war as a watch officer on the U boats in the MMD. Remained in the post war navy until 30 June 1928 retiring with the Charakter of a Korvettenkapitän. Returned to service in WW2 rising to the rank of Fregattenkapitän and was employed mainly in armaments administration.

Regards

Glenn 

Mate, 

Nice pick up on the Dressel/Bressel I missed that 

Breuer Carl    ObLtzS to KaptzS (Ing) Marine    (Military Mediterranean Division MMD) - Oberstabsingenieur (Engineer officer) SMS Goeben (Yavuz) 1914 - Türk Deniz kuvvetlerinde makinist (Turkish Naval Engineer)    1914-17    (not identified) shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Brimberg Franz    Lt    Zahlmeister (Paymaster) Commissaritat for Deutsche Militär-Mission in der Türkei and 1st Army and 5th Army - General Weber's command Edirne Fortification officer Levazim Isleri Muhasebeci 1. ve 5. Ordu'da (Levazim Isleri Accountant 1st and 5th Armies)    1914-18    (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Brinkmann (Brinckman) Franz    ObLtzS Marine    SMS Breslau (Midilli) to Ottoman Battleship "Barbaros Hayreddin" sunk 8-8-15 and Battleship "Torgut Reit" (Turgut Reis) 1916 RTG returned to Staff Adjt Iraq and Palestine -  Üstegmen Brinckman Firat nehir gemilerinde komutan (Commander on the Tigris - Firat (Euphrates) River ships (Tigris-Euphrates Flotila Det)  Mesopotamia with Kapt-Lt Cappeln 8-16 shown Adjt Euphrates River Det (Tigris-Euphrates Flotila Det) Mesopotamia 1918     1914-16 1916-18    Mesopotamia (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

10 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Brimberg Franz    Lt    Zahlmeister (Paymaster) Commissaritat for Deutsche Militär-Mission in der Türkei and 1st Army and 5th Army

Steve,

Zahlmeister Brimberg is something of an enigma. He certainly existed and is listed in Kannengießer's book and I have seen a receipt signed by him to General von Liman in the rank of Oberzahlmeister. The issue is; that he was not gazetted in either the Militär-Wochenblatt or the Staatsanzeiger on appointment to either rank.

Those original members of the military mission listed in the annex to General Kannengießer's "Gallipoli" are all shown in their Ottoman rank and Brimberg is listed there as a Zahlmeister. Given, that the members of the mission were upgraded in rank in Ottoman service, it stands to reason that Herr Brimberg was a Prussian Unterzahlmeister or Zahlmeisteraspirant.

Brimberg is a fairly uncommon name and I found one Zahlmeisteraspirant Brimberg in 1913 in the Garde-Füsilier-Regiment. First name not given but year of birth listed as 1881. On checking ancestry.de, the 1922 marriage certificate of one Kaufmann Johann Franz Brimberg, born 21 March 1881 is shown.

On doing some further rooting, it transpires that this Brimberg went into business with none other than Major a.D. Erich Prigge, formerly General Liman's adjutant to form the company Prigge Brimberg & Co. in 1922.

Johann Brimberg died on 25 September 1960. An obituary notice stated he had served in Turkey throughout WW1. On the balance of probabilities, I would opine this is our Brimberg.

Regards
Glenn

Thanks Grey,

Herr Brimberg has been on my radar for a while. It would be nice to find confirmation if he was ever appointed as a “Prussian” Zahlmeister.

Regards

Glenn

It does seem though, that a Hans (not Franz) Brimberger entered into a business-relationship with Prigge according to the Handelsregister? Maybe short for Johann? If his first name was Johann, why the name change to Franz in the army?

GreyC

Edited by GreyC