Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BURIALS of 'UNKNOWN' in the REPUBLIC OF IRELAND

Matlock1418

28 minutes ago, museumtom said:

I posted it here as it is very a specific topic 'BURIALS of 'UNKNOWN' in the REPUBLIC OF IRELAND'

The thread started with the intention of highlighting where in Ireland the CWGC had a body under an 'Unknown' headstone inscription or similar commemoration - with a view to perhaps identifying the body.

=== But I am more than happy if it helps find the unknown grave of a known body ===

Such as this:

On 03/06/2022 at 15:45, museumtom said:
On 15/08/2022 at 20:03, PaulC78 said:
On 03/06/2022 at 17:41, Matlock1418 said:

Matthew HOPKINS, SS Karina

CWGC seem to have his mother' address and parents' names:

Son of Mary Jane Hopkins (nee Broughton), of 12, Doddridge St., Liverpool, and the late Matthew Hopkins.

If only someone could now find his burial = I suppose his burial could perhaps have ended up being in Liverpool. ??

M

Expand  

Burial record from Anfield Cemetery now obtained and details sent to CWGC via IFCP. Grave reference is CE.17.4356, it's an unmarked grave approximately in the centre of this photo.

P1167280.jpg.d2ead46354e29b7df4675c0ab320a07d.jpg

Edited 16 August by PaulC78

Started out found in Ireland and ended up in England.  Regardless of my initial intentions a very good result to find his grave in my opinion. :)

Please both keep up your very good work.  It's the results that matter. :thumbsup:

M

Good man Matlock, it is all good work we do here and what a great feeling when we are successful. We cannot be successful unless we ask the pals with their lateral thinking and access to various databases.

• 3 months later...
On 03/06/2022 at 17:38, museumtom said:

Well done Paul, good man. Now then where is the body?

Not unsurprising, but the grave of Mohammed Eyoni (aka Yunus Mohammad) is unmarked at Glasnevin Cemetery.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/248779653/mohammed-eyoni