Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BURIALS of 'UNKNOWN' in the REPUBLIC OF IRELAND

Matlock1418

26 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Matlock old son, I know this is right up your street, enjoy!

Edward Kenny, 10531 is on the La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre Memorial, France.

Rather presuming you might be after a bit of info on him.

WFA/Fold3 pension cards indicate that his father was Thomas KENNY, b 1848, 67 Lower Wellington Street, Dublin - applied 18-9-19, he got 5/- pw for life [RW Art. 21 (1c) = A dependant's claim/award]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
application date

On 21/05/2022 at 11:39, museumtom said:

Found in Drumcooley cemetery near Edenderry this morning.No description available.

A nice example of a private memorial on a family headstone - judging by the other dates it seems likely the pain of his loss was still present, even in/beyond1929 [and why not?]

In some ways it's good he is commemorated by CWGC on the La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre Memorial, France - at least that way his continued physical commemoration is more certain than on a private stone.  Though a shame CWGC can't offer this stone as an alternative - down to the likes of you to discover.  Nice one Tom!

From a pension ledger index card 

image.png.c89f83f5fce54ef29b86be33bd074e1d.png

Image courtesy of WFA/Fold3

I can't quite decipher Edward KENNY's place of death = ???  I guess the 2CR War Diary will clarify.  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7351968

Edit: nobody has subsequently replied with a suggestion for his place of death but I have always thought this looks like Messines.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
Edit: suggested place of death

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

Captain W Gordon Barker, Connaught Rangers, recently died in Scotland after a long illness, following on ten months captivity as a wounded prisoner of war in Germany

CAPTAIN WILLIAM GORDON STEIGLITZ BARKER.  No pension card at WFA/Fold3.  Plenty of PoW info at ICRC https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/208046/3/2 

10412 E McCann; 10531 E Keany(sic), R.C. ; 10540 J Daly, R.C.; 4244 C Norris, R.C.; 7589 M Devine, R.C.; 10113 J Reilly, R.C.; 7899 J Higgins, R.C

All have pension cards at WFA/Fold 3 if more personal family info wanted in the aftermath of their deaths.

10113 J Reilly, R.C. - James Reilly as 3775 - KiA, date of death recorded as 7 Nov 1914 [as CWGC]

M

Thank you kindly Matlock. The thing is I am not sure if he is the same Edward Kenny, he could have been a U.S. soldier just as well. No date of death, or service clues on the headstone and no King's or Queens County likely candidates either.

The thing is if one of the list has a grave then the others should be there also.

The thing is I am not sure if he is the same Edward Kenny, he could have been a U.S. soldier just as well. No date of death, or service clues on the headstone and no King's or Queens County likely candidates either.

Only possibly the parentage and family I guess.  Always tricky!

M

Edited by Matlock1418

28 minutes ago, museumtom said:

I can read your mind ...

From dependants' pension cards at WFA/Fold3: Edward KENNY, 3/5932, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, KiA 28.8.16

Mother: Ann KENNY,  5 Scotts's Buildings, Bonnybridge, Stirlingshire, Aged 53 when claimed 16.2.17

Later [c.1922 I think] ...

Father: Patrick KENNY, Blundell St, Edenderry, Co. Down Edit: King's County

Careful now - you are likely to be straying well away from the 26 Counties! :whistle:

M

Edited by Matlock1418
edit = King's county and add man's military details

Good man Matlock, not straying...he was born in Kildare according to SDGW. Blundell Street is in Edenderry, not County Down. I might be Kings County or Offaly. I think we are on to a winner Matlock, a great find, thank you kindly.

4 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Blundell Street is in Edenderry, not County Down. I might be Kings County or Offaly.

Oops! :doh:  My apologies - finger/brain-trouble here [must go and do something else for a while]

Actually given as King's County

So you are safe I think!

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Mothers age matches too!

image.png.c59b22674021db6500fd75df0431192e.png

15 minutes ago, museumtom said:

I think we are on to a winner Matlock, a great find, thank you kindly

Mainly down to you and your lead.  Hope it works out for you.

M

You were of great help Matlock, thank you.

@museumtom https://www.everyoneremembered.org/profiles/soldier/797936 from RBL's Every One Remembered

Edward KENNY, 3/5932, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

Commemorated: Edward (Ned) Kenny - loved and remembered always by his family in Edenderry, Co. Offaly, Ireland. [is Edenberry uncertain as to which county it is in or by which name the county should be called?? - I know as I have been on Wiki!!]

An unsupported story citing family details: My great uncle Ned was from a family of 5. My grandfather Patrick, other brothers William and Malachy and a sister Mary. His parents names were Anne and Patrick Kenny and came from near Carbury in Co. Kildare.

Might perhaps be of help to you [or perhaps not!]. ???

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Private memorial on a headstone? Alec Furey was added to his Father's headstone in Loughrea, County Galway. 

2 hours ago, Hill244 said:

Private memorial on a headstone? Alec Furey was added to his Father's headstone in Loughrea, County Galway. 

Thanks.

I'm interested to know/get confirmed the forename and surname inscribed on the headstone in Loughrea - from what you have written I get the impression you believe the surname is FUREY, but please confim spellings.  If you can possibly also post a photo here on GWF it would be much appreciated. T.I.A.

CWGC currently commemorate as Alick FUERY, 4240, Connaught Rangers, Son of William and Mary Fuery, of Bride St., Loughrea, Co. Galway  https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/281644/alick-fuery - Died 7.4.15. however all their Grave Register, Grave Registration Report Form and Headstone Schedules show as FUREY

The War Graves Photographic Project headstone photo appears to show his CWGC headstone inscribed A. FUREY https://www.twgpp.org/photograph/view/4149645 [photo image is very pixellated in preview]

WFA/Fold3 pension card has as Alick FUERY FUREY, 3/4240, Connaught Rangers, The Hill, Loughrea, Co. Galway - but other cards are as Alick FUERY.

MIC as Alexander FUERY, 4240, 3rd Connaught Rangers - KiA

Find a Grave unfortunately do not [yet?] have any photos but record his details as Pvt Alick (MALACHY) Furey and a memorial note reads:

( Alick ) real name malachy , used this alias so the army would not find out that he was infact to young to actualy be in the armed forces . It was probably that all his brothers before him was in the army and he wanted to join up . It is only recenly that i found out where he was buried . No one knew where he died .So it gives me great pleasure to give him his name back and soon put flowers on his grave . when he joined ,his army records say he was 129lbs and 5ft 4 . he was very young and most definatly very scared . He joined the connacht rangers 3rd battalion on the 24-10-1913 age 16 , he was killed in action at french and flounders in 7-4-1915, leaving his mother mary devestated as her other sons has also been killed in the forces leaving two alive ,one being my grt grnd father thomas ,who also fought for the connaght rangers .RIP malachy furey  https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56426321/alick-(malachy)-furey

I cannot [yet?] confirm the FAG memorial note but I guess we here at GWF will give it a review, especially likely by @museumtom

Ancestry seems to have 11 records which appear likely to be relevant [Unfortunately I cannot access them] https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/categories/39/?name=alick_furey&record_f=_1652381

• Scotland, Ireland and Wales, Militia Attestation Papers, 1800-1915 = Alic Furey
  • Scotland, Ireland and Wales, Militia Attestation Papers, 1800-1915 = Alic Furey
  • Scotland, Ireland and Wales, Militia Attestation Papers, 1800-1915 = Alic Furey
  • UK, World War I Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920 = Aleck Fuery
  • UK, World War I Pension Ledgers and Index Cards, 1914-1923 = Alick Fuery
  • Ireland, World War I Casualties, 1914-1922 = Alick Fuery
  • UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929 = Alick Fuery
  • UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919 = Alick Fueyy
  • UK, British Army World War I Service Records, 1914-1920= Alick Fuery
  • UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929 = Alick Furry
  • UK, World War I Pension Ledgers and Index Cards, 1914-1923 = Alick Fuery

The Irish Great War Dead Archive it appears likely @museumtom has already had a look at him https://irelandsgreatwardead.ie/the-archive - a long and interesting note on his family etc. is contained within the notes on Alick FUERY

GWF If you search you will find plenty of other hits/threads for Alick and the FUERY brothers!! [Which I did very/too late in this post!!!]

This is certainly not to be ungrateful for the recent post on "Alec FUREY" but despite what I have just written [I'm not minded to delete it as it might help someone] this thread really isn't about the Fuery/Furey brothers.  This might be a more appropriate thread for the Fuery/Furey family https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/129085-brothers-called-fuery-killed-in-ww1

= I'm still looking in this thread for burials unknown to the CWGC ['Unknown' and 'Known' names]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
expand

How about this lad? Danged if I can find him. Death registered in Dublin.

image.png.e44c09820cf6ed552f475cdcb23b8456.png

Hi Tom. 

His name seems Islamic.I wonder was he handed over for burial to whatever Islamic community was in Dublin at the time. Maybe he is buried in an Islamic graveyard- Clonskeagh or Newcastle, Co. Dublin.

I am sure you are aware of the controversy re:CWGC and the  commemoration of non-whites. Perhaps this is example of a man not being allocated a head stone or even named on the CWGC roll? 

Jervis

Its a total mystery to me Jervis. That is why I posted him here. Anything is possible though.

20 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Thanks.

I'm interested to know/get confirmed the forename and surname inscribed on the headstone in Loughrea - from what you have written I get the impression you believe the surname is FUREY, but please confim spellings.  If you can possibly also post a photo here on GWF it would be much appreciated. T.I.A.

CWGC currently commemorate as Alick FUERY, 4240, Connaught Rangers, Son of William and Mary Fuery, of Bride St., Loughrea, Co. Galway  https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/281644/alick-fuery - Died 7.4.15. however all their Grave Register, Grave Registration Report Form and Headstone Schedules show as FUREY

The War Graves Photographic Project headstone photo appears to show his CWGC headstone inscribed A. FUREY https://www.twgpp.org/photograph/view/4149645 [photo image is very pixellated in preview]

WFA/Fold3 pension card has as Alick FUERY FUREY, 3/4240, Connaught Rangers, The Hill, Loughrea, Co. Galway - but other cards are as Alick FUERY.

MIC as Alexander FUERY, 4240, 3rd Connaught Rangers - KiA

Find a Grave unfortunately do not [yet?] have any photos but record his details as Pvt Alick (MALACHY) Furey and a memorial note reads:

( Alick ) real name malachy , used this alias so the army would not find out that he was infact to young to actualy be in the armed forces . It was probably that all his brothers before him was in the army and he wanted to join up . It is only recenly that i found out where he was buried . No one knew where he died .So it gives me great pleasure to give him his name back and soon put flowers on his grave . when he joined ,his army records say he was 129lbs and 5ft 4 . he was very young and most definatly very scared . He joined the connacht rangers 3rd battalion on the 24-10-1913 age 16 , he was killed in action at french and flounders in 7-4-1915, leaving his mother mary devestated as her other sons has also been killed in the forces leaving two alive ,one being my grt grnd father thomas ,who also fought for the connaght rangers .RIP malachy furey  https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56426321/alick-(malachy)-furey

I cannot [yet?] confirm the FAG memorial note but I guess we here at GWF will give it a review, especially likely by @museumtom

Ancestry seems to have 11 records which appear likely to be relevant [Unfortunately I cannot access them] https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/categories/39/?name=alick_furey&record_f=_1652381

• Scotland, Ireland and Wales, Militia Attestation Papers, 1800-1915 = Alic Furey
  • UK, World War I Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920 = Aleck Fuery
  • UK, World War I Pension Ledgers and Index Cards, 1914-1923 = Alick Fuery
  • Ireland, World War I Casualties, 1914-1922 = Alick Fuery
  • UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929 = Alick Fuery
  • UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919 = Alick Fueyy
  • UK, British Army World War I Service Records, 1914-1920= Alick Fuery
  • UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929 = Alick Furry
  • UK, World War I Pension Ledgers and Index Cards, 1914-1923 = Alick Fuery

The Irish Great War Dead Archive it appears likely @museumtom has already had a look at him https://irelandsgreatwardead.ie/the-archive - a long and interesting note on his family etc. is contained within the notes on Alick FUERY

GWF If you search you will find plenty of other hits/threads for Alick and the FUERY brothers!! [Which I did very/too late in this post!!!]

This is certainly not to be ungrateful for the recent post on "Alec FUREY" but despite what I have just written [I'm not minded to delete it as it might help someone] this thread really isn't about the Fuery/Furey brothers.  This might be a more appropriate thread for the Fuery/Furey family https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/129085-brothers-called-fuery-killed-in-ww1

= I'm still looking in this thread for burials unknown to the CWGC ['Unknown' and 'Known' names]

M

Alec was a quasi family name, also Malachy, the family spoke Irish Gaelic as a first language. Fuery, also recorded for the Mountbellew family. It is Furey, also given as Fury (as in Tyson Fury). 

24 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Just to aid any Forum search(es) = A GAULD  /  Alfred GOLD - Mercantile Marine, S.S. "Salmo" (Hull), 9 April 1917, Age 32 [born c.1885] Son of Frederick and Hannah Gold; husband of Maude Gold (nee Whitney), of 26, Rendle Rd., Custom House, London. Born at St. Lukes, London.

Such a shame he seems to have become 'lost/missing' to CWGC.

From another website it seems suggested that he might have been landed in a boat at Valencia - perhaps further mentioned in a newspaper(s) [over to those who can perhaps search such resources] ... seemingly at least likely initially in The Bridgeport Evening Farmer, Wednesday, 11 April 1917

Read more at wrecksite: https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?164330

M

Edited by Matlock1418
newspapers

• 2 weeks later...