Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BURIALS of 'UNKNOWN' in the REPUBLIC OF IRELAND

Matlock1418

Well done Paul, good man. Now then where is the body?

Matthew HOPKINS, SS Karina

CWGC seem to have his mother' address and parents' names:

Son of Mary Jane Hopkins (nee Broughton), of 12, Doddridge St., Liverpool, and the late Matthew Hopkins.

If only someone could now find his burial = I suppose his burial could perhaps have ended up being in Liverpool. ??

M

3 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Son of Mary Jane Hopkins (nee Broughton), of 12, Doddridge St., Liverpool, and the late Matthew Hopkins.

If only someone could now find his burial = I suppose his burial could perhaps have ended up being in Liverpool. ??

M

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/4125363:9041?tid=&pid=&queryId=ec1d6b936b57f329fd49dff420d759d2&_phsrc=wKm358&_phstart=successSource

Anfield Cemetery, for the benefit of anyone who doesn't have access to Ancestry. No scan of the burial record though, so I don't have a grave reference.

Edited by PaulC78

1 minute ago, PaulC78 said:
4 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

M

Expand  

htt

That seems an excellent hit - perhaps one for you and IFCP ??

M

Thank you Matlock. IFCP would not be interested as he is already in the CWGC. The CWGC will only accept the grave register, and as I do not have ancestry I cannot look at the link I posted. You have my blessing if you would like to put him forward yourself?

Just now, museumtom said:

IFCP would not be interested as he is already in the CWGC

I'm not wholly sure IFCP totally discard newly-found burials.  But I am not IFCP.

Will have to leave it to them to decide as I unfortunately don't have the resources to follow up in the detail CWGC will likely want.

M

Send it straight to CWGC. All they want is the grave register.

On 07/05/2022 at 15:16, Matlock1418 said:

W. HAGAN, Sergt RMLI https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/373970/w-hagan CWGC have him alternatively buried/commemorated at Liverpool (West Derby) Cemetery  Find a Grave have a photo of his CWGC headstone https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/32676563/william-hagan

Buried at West Derby Cemetery on 6 Feb 1917. I'll have a look for him next time I'm there, one would hope that the damaged headstone has been replaced by now.

27 minutes ago, museumtom said:

IFCP would not be interested as he is already in the CWGC.

On the contrary, it's very much part of what IFCP does. Chris Harley did a lot of work on this sort of thing.

Incidentally, I found a grave for this man last year (still to be verified by CWGC): https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/3032172/matthew-robinson/

He was not lost with the ship but died in Ireland a few days later, and was buried at Crosby. I see the CWGC have bodged his date of death though, so I'll have to chase that up.

Edited by PaulC78

3 minutes ago, PaulC78 said:

On the contrary, it's very much part of what IFCP does.

:thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, PaulC78 said:

Chris Harley did a lot of work on this sort of thing.

:poppy:

Sorry I can't help more with HOPKINS but at least his situation has been uncovered thanks to initiation by @museumtom :)

M

11 minutes ago, PaulC78 said:

Buried at West Derby Cemetery on 6 Feb 1917. I'll have a look for him next time I'm there, one would hope that the damaged headstone has been replaced by now.

:), Here's hoping.

M

Thanks guys, fingers crossed. Even a single success makes it all worthwhile.

This lad is a mystery. He is not in the CWGC as far as I can see.

image.png.631af8f25261df8c212e7e6587969bdb.png

Edited by museumtom

Maybe this man? Although different first name and age is 10 years out.

Capture1.JPG.f6050edce1a45ffb2a4c147b2b7eb095.JPG

Capture2.JPG.6b2cc548b56a06da06930eff70da09e0.JPG

On the ball Paul. With the number on your card I was able to dig him out of the database, so here is what we have. He was crazy to research. Here we go.

O'Callaghan    Jeremiah    Sergeant    Connaught Rangers        07/12/1919    Died at the Central Military Hospital, Cork, from Pulmonary Tuberculosis certified. Death certificate under John O'Callaghan. Discharged with Pulmonary Tuberculosis on 28/02/1917, date of death confirmed on his pension card.    Unknown
Serial No: 3896
Unit: 3rd Battalion
Born: St Anns, Cork.
Enlisted: Hereford, in 1892 and re-enlisted in 07/04/1911
Next of Kin: Jeremiah O'Callaghan, son of Jeremiah O'Callaghan, labourer, 5 St Mary's Square, Cork, a soldier in the Shropshire Light Infantry, married Agnes Walsh, aged 20, daughter of Thomas Walsh, labourer, 3 Cathedral Avenue, Cork, at Cork Cathedral, on 15/01/1905. Husband of Agnes O'Callaghan. Father of Ellen, Jeremiah, Thomas and John Joseph O'Callaghan. Son of Jeremiah and Ellen O'Callaghan, 35 Evergreen Buildings, Cork, address in records-Chapel Lane, Cork.
Grave or Memorial:
Notes:  Incorrect year of birth on pension card-1890. This man was nightmare to research. His age keeps changing, his first name was Jeremiah up to 1912 and when he re-enlisted he was John. His pension card says he is a single man, another says his wife Agnes refuses his pension as they are divorced. He was discharged from the Shropshire Light Infantry No 3635, at Fermoy in 1912 with T.B. Re-enlisted with the Connaught Rangers under John O’Callaghan. It does not look like the Army copped that he had pre-war service. His death certificate is under John O’Callaghan aged 40 a married man. Address on discharge from the Shropshire Light Infantry-1 St Patrick's Arch, off Gerald Griffin Street, Cork. On his pension card listed with him is 288624 Michael O'Callaghan, who died serving with the R.A.F. They are related but what that relationship is is unclear.

59 minutes ago, museumtom said:

On his pension card listed with him is 288624 Michael O'Callaghan, who died serving with the R.A.F.

On other pension cards Michael O'CALLAGHAN, 357, Royal Irish Regiment is recorded, as well as him being 288624 [RAF]

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2743873/michael-o-callaghan 

= recorded as buried RATHCOONEY CEMETERY, Old Ground, Glanmire, Co. Cork https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/172198608/michael-o'callaghan

I suppose that cemetery could perhaps be a potential resting place for Joseph 'John' O'CALLAGHAN ???

Joseph O'CALLAGHAN, 3/3896, Connaught Rangers made a disability pension claim 1-11-17 [Links to the reference on the PLIC abstract offered above - which refers to pulmonary TB] = this other card also shows Leinster Rgt, 5436

M

Thank you kindly Matlock, let us have a look in Rathcoooney.....

It was worth a shot, thank you for suggesting it Matlock. Maybe next time though.

image.png.7d12060756ea93e36e84717ed846d165.png

You like these mysteries Matlock and we have discussed it before but please throw your eye over this.

Rex Wheeler.

Death registered in Mayo.

image.png.0c9e5820d9449aec3c527d28c83ae4fd.png

3 hours ago, museumtom said:

You like these mysteries Matlock and we have discussed it before but please throw your eye over this.

Rex Wheeler.

Hi Tom,

This one is, and similar others really are, for your other "I need your help" thread [where many others follow and which I too am following - but I'm in rather in the shadow of the pensions maestro, Craig!] and I know you have earlier tried there.

My thoughts on WHEELER are:

Check Rossport for a burial [and if possible/ possibly for an exhumation for reburial elsewhere] - without a body you seem unlikely to get further.

Also see if he went back to the US ???

AND I can't see how the link/morph from Rex WHEELER to George F WHEELER came about - What was the evidence?  How strong was it? How was DoD of 3 Nov arrived at? [the maths is a challenge as interpreting the death registration could perhaps be variably interpreted I suppose - grim, several days in a lifeboat with a dead body(ies?) - The Brookwood American Cemetery only has GFW on a memorial to the missing, so I guess not known buried there].

As you commonly comment - seamen are hard/harder than many others [and much harder for me with my limited resources] - but never tried an american before. Got no further I'm afraid.

M

Thank you Matlock. Wheelers boat landed on the beach on the 6th, so I presume his boat sank on the 3rd. Thank you for trying with the American lad, they are the most difficult one to nail down. Having said that I found that they naval authorities did a good job of repatriating the bodies after the war.

Cheers.

Tom.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56504018/george-f-wheeler

Edited by museumtom

This could be one of the unknowns. Death registered at Dublin. So if one of the unknowns have a date of burial they might be one and the same .

image.png.bebd69c5c03c9f83b25ae2ca995a7888.pngimage.png.274c63c6a16c1d86c1fa662608d327e4.png

Edited by museumtom

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

This could be one of the unknowns. Death registered at Dublin. So if one of the unknowns have a date of burial they might be one and the same .

Tricky to match to a date as CWGC don't release dates against 'Unknowns'.

However seems to have had a name [unlike a corpse washed ashore from a sunken ship] but couldn't see an army widow's pension card at WFA/Fold3 for Philip / Phillip BAKER 

However, Ancestry do have some pension records under both Philip and Phillip BAKER  [unfortunately I can't access to check - here's hoping someone else can look for a widow's name and addrress for you]

M

Thank you kindly Matlock.