Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BURIALS of 'UNKNOWN' in the REPUBLIC OF IRELAND

Matlock1418

On 07/06/2022 at 17:07, Matlock1418 said:

Tricky to match to a date as CWGC don't release dates against 'Unknowns'.

However seems to have had a name [unlike a corpse washed ashore from a sunken ship] but couldn't see an army widow's pension card at WFA/Fold3 for Philip / Phillip BAKER 

However, Ancestry do have some pension records under both Philip and Phillip BAKER  [unfortunately I can't access to check - here's hoping someone else can look for a widow's name and addrress for you]

M

Hi Tom and all,

There are a number of Philip Baker Pension records on Ancestry. However have been looking for some possible family details to search from that angle. From the marriage cert. posted there is a definite link between the Baker and Berman families on the 1911 Ireland census at Oakfield Place, the address for Fanny on the cert. The address on the census is No.5 not 8 as on the cert. It shows Fanny's father Abraham, a draper born 1851 in Russia, religion, Hebrew Jew. with his wife Rachel born 1852, Russia. Their 2 yrs old grand daughter Mabel Baker is living with them, born 1909 Dublin.  A number of Baker families come up as having been born in Russia which would fit for the marriage, name change ???  Searching.

Rachel Freda Berman died 1922 Dublin South, (2, 432) aged 73 yrs., Abraham died Dec. 1919 Dublin South according to a tree on Ancestry 

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/181459741/person/172365525106/facts but no details for Philip Baker ...  yet

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Excellent, thank you Barry. Great finds indeed.

Can it all be tied together to make a case please??

• 2 weeks later...

Another to consider.

McNeil    Henry    Assistant Stewart    Royal Naval Reserve        01/09/1918    Died at sea near the Tuskar from shock due to immersion in the sea owing to enemy action    Tower Hill Memorial
Serial No:
Unit: S.S. "Mesaba."
Born: Glasgow
Enlisted:
Next of Kin: Son of the late Constantine and Annie McNeil; husband of the late Johanna McNeil. Born at Glasgow.
Grave or Memorial:
Notes: This mans death certificate is on the same sheet as Chief Officer William Stanmore Glover. He is listed just under him which shows there was a body and inquest from information received from J J Roche, J.P. for South Wexford. Inquest held 03/09/1918. Chief Officer Glover is buried in Kilscoran Church of Ireland Cemetery, County Wexford. Henry is listed as having no known grave and remembered on the Tower Hill Memorial. He may actually be buried in the area of Kilscoran and his body was found at the same time as Glover. McNeill-death certificate, McNeil-C.W.G.C.

Perhaps one of the "two unknown men" referred to here?

doc3668927.JPG.c3bcdc01957619e04fbf34f6b753fa04.JPG

Edited by PaulC78

SS "Cyrene" was torpedoed/sunk 5 April 1918 in Caernavon Bay, Irish Sea.

M

On the ball, thank you Matlock.

"Believed to be" may not be conclusive enough for the CWGC.

Good man Paul, thank you kindly.

Tom.

• 1 month later...
On 03/06/2022 at 18:26, PaulC78 said:

Buried at West Derby Cemetery on 6 Feb 1917. I'll have a look for him next time I'm there, one would hope that the damaged headstone has been replaced by now.

Was at West Derby this morning, William Hagan has a new headstone:

P1156538.jpg.73d4a6bd4b721af84847b926ff4f6aa2.jpg

On 03/06/2022 at 17:41, Matlock1418 said:

Matthew HOPKINS, SS Karina

CWGC seem to have his mother' address and parents' names:

Son of Mary Jane Hopkins (nee Broughton), of 12, Doddridge St., Liverpool, and the late Matthew Hopkins.

If only someone could now find his burial = I suppose his burial could perhaps have ended up being in Liverpool. ??

M

Burial record from Anfield Cemetery now obtained and details sent to CWGC via IFCP. Grave reference is CE.17.4356, it's an unmarked grave approximately in the centre of this photo.

P1167280.jpg.d2ead46354e29b7df4675c0ab320a07d.jpg

Edited by PaulC78

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/08/2022 at 18:30, PaulC78 said:

Was at West Derby this morning, William Hagan has a new headstone:

On 15/08/2022 at 20:03, PaulC78 said:

Burial record from Anfield Cemetery now obtained and details sent to CWGC via IFCP. Grave reference is CE.17.4356, it's an unmarked grave approximately in the centre of this photo.

Thanks for your recent posts

M

• 1 month later...

Harden is in Ballinakilla Cemetery, Lewis I cannot find.

image.png.84860917392e0b0c583d94ebddeb3ae9.png

Robinson was dealt with above.

Did you post the wrong image in your second post? The DC for R Lewis doesn't have any obvious connection to the CWGC record for Patrick Rourke.

Struggling to find anything for Lewis. Pte R Lewis 200517 Somerset Light Infantry died on that date but at Basra: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/634220/r-lewis/

Gunner R G Lewis 3688 Royal Field Artillery (436532 Labour Corps) died on 2 Nov 1918 from influenza & pneumonia and is buried at Brockley Cemetery in London, but he appears to have died at Torquay: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/384703/r-g-lewis/

You might get more eyes on him in your other topic.

Thank you Paul. I posted the DC because it shows that Harden is in the CWGC and Lewis is not as far as I can see. I posted it here as it is very a specific topic 'BURIALS of 'UNKNOWN' in the REPUBLIC OF IRELAND'