Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for a WW1 Military Medal, Private J. Cassidy 4685 Leinster Regiment

SLDreew

3 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

The SWB Record shows 83 days Overseas Service which is a clear contradiction.

The SWB record says that he was 22 years and 83 days old at the time it was awarded.

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 16.57.11.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

3 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

The SWB record says that he was 22 years and 83 days old at the time it was awarded.

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 16.57.11.png

Now that makes sense.  Thank you Ivor.  So, 3 and 5/12 Colour Service of which 2 and 8/12 is Overseas Service.  You would therefore expect him, under normal circumstances, to be awarded a 14/15 Star? 

26 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

You would therefore expect him, under normal circumstances, to be awarded a 14/15 Star? 

I think so, but perhaps it was never claimed? The star is not mentioned on his MIC, but the SWB and the war & victory medals are.

Perhaps his next of kin was unaware of his eligibility?

Edited by Ivor Anderson

11 minutes ago, SLDreew said:

Also, if he enlisted pre-WWI, why would he not be sent to fight until 1915?

You need to get a copy of his service record off FMP. Perhaps he served at home with another battalion before being deployed in a war theatre?

He was mobilised on 5 August 1914 at the outbreak of war, but he was not on active service in a war theatre until 2 April 1915.

Edited by Ivor Anderson

14 minutes ago, SLDreew said:

The box on his medal card for the Star is just blank? The other medals were returned but they're listed

Yes, When you identify the NOK to claim the returned BWM/BVM they should clearly state that they also feel he was also entitled to the 14/15 Star based on the evidence which shows qualification as he "served in any theatre of war (in this case France/Belgium) outside the UK between 5 August 1914 and 31 December 1915"  

Good luck.

2 hours ago, SLDreew said:

Also, if he enlisted pre-WWI, why would he not be sent to fight until 1915?

I don’t have FMP, to see his service record. But if he left 2 April 1915 - he was in the same draft as my GGrandfather. He was a pre-war reservist with the 5th Battalion Leinster Regiment, enlisting in Drogheda. 
A lot of Dubliners joined the 5/Leinsters and Cassidy’s number looks to be a 5th Battalion also  

Interesting! But Cassidy was in the 2nd Battalion though

Edit: just checked, Cassidy also left on 2nd Apr 1915!

Edited by SLDreew

image.png.440b11b423a23cba7013e15f97f79443.png

It says here on his card that he was mobilised on the 5th of August 1914! Where was he then between that and 2nd April 1915? Why would he not have been with the Battalion at war? Would that be in his service record?

Also this says he enlisted on the 12th of October 1913, but the other record shows the 13th?

Edited by SLDreew

14 minutes ago, SLDreew said:

Interesting! But Cassidy was in the 2nd Battalion though

Edit: just checked, Cassidy also left on 2nd Apr 1915!

Well The 2/Leinsters were in France from September 1914. So he must have been with some other battalion. 

The Leinsters had three reserve battalion (3,4,5) which trained men and sent drafts to the front line units (1st, 2nd, 6th, 7th). 

If he enlisted pre-WWI, wouldn't he be sent first as he'd have experience? I guess all of this will be in his service record, so if that hasn't survived, we can't really get anywhere.

3 minutes ago, SLDreew said:

image.png.440b11b423a23cba7013e15f97f79443.png

It says here on his card that he was mobilised on the 5th of August 1914! Where was he then between that and 2nd April 1915? Why would he not have been with the Battalion at war? Would that be in his service record?

Also this says he enlisted on the 12th of October 1913, but the other record shows the 13th?

Yes. Service record should say what Btn he was posted to. 

3 minutes ago, SLDreew said:

Oh wow! You mean at Upper Digges street? Perhaps they knew each other?

No, his earlier Bolton st address. Maybe they did. (?)

• 4 months later...

Hi....my apologies for the late response....I don't get on the site all that often....if I can add my 10 cents worth.....My surname is Cassidy and I have been collecting medals and militaria to my surname since the mid 1980's...in my 30 years of collecting I have only ever seen 3 x Cassidy WW1 MM for sale....whilst i have a varied collection from Victorian times to modern day.....I have never been able to Snare an MM named to a Cassidy....I've been very close though on two occasions. In my early days of collecting I used to get catalogues delivered to me here in Australia from all over the globe....since the internet took hold I surf the net regularly looking for additions to my modest collection.....i  am sorry to say that i have never seen any medals for sale to 4685 J Cassidy. I maintain a list of medals I have seen for sale ....that were sold when i enquired .....or i was outbid on etc. The medals are not on this list. Some years ago I met another Cassidy collector who also had a nice collection of Cassidy medals. He has since passed away. The majority of his medals were sold via Ebay. But the medals you are seeking were not in his collection either. I know of several Cassidy medals in Regimental museums.....and private collections but none of these are the medals to your man. I am happy to keep an eye out for them in my travels.....i have my fingers crossed for a miracle.....because i feel thats what is required. But keep searching they must be out there somewhere.......approx 1200 Cassidy's served during WW1 from all over the globe....from these men 31 were awarded an MM....so they are few and far between.........just so you know....the last Cassidy MM group I was outbid on sold for around $4500 Aud....the previous MM group I was outbid on a decade ago sold for $2800 Aud.....my advice is to put some funds aside and be ready to pounce if they surface......all the best with your search. Kind Regards Gary Cassidy Australia.

Edited by Cassidy Medals