Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for a WW1 Military Medal, Private J. Cassidy 4685 Leinster Regiment

SLDreew

Okay thank you very much! I’ve sent them a message on their website as I don’t have Facebook, perhaps I’ll make an account and contact them if I don’t get a reply.

He had an older sister who’s eldest grandson I believe is still living so I could contact them and find out as I’m the descendant of Cassidy’s younger sister.

Just now, SLDreew said:

Okay thank you very much! I’ve sent them a message on their website as I don’t have Facebook, perhaps I’ll make an account and contact them if I don’t get a reply.

He had an older sister who’s eldest grandson I believe is still living so I could contact them and find out as I’m the descendant of Cassidy’s younger sister.

...... sounds like a good plan.  Let us know how you get on.

Okay, in the WD of the 73rd Brigade, 12th April 1917, for the Battle of Vimy Ridge, the 2nd Leinsters officers on the front row were all killed or wounded. Some men reached the enemy trench, finding it almost destroyed and with resistance. Several casualties on both sides. The WD states that ‘Many individual acts of gallantry were performed at this stage’

That was the same day/action as 8916 Cpl. John Cunningham's VC. There would undoubtedly have been other gallantry medals issued for 12th April 1917.

The MM of Pte. H. Kennedy is advertised as having been for Vimy Ridge on 12th April 1917:

https://www.medalsofengland.com/medals.php?id=64&medalid=1856

Kennedy's MM was in the LG of 9 July 1917 - the same gazette as the artillery MMs in the 1st Corps memo re. 22-05-1917.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30172/supplement/6832

Edited by Ivor Anderson

It is possible. I am finding other 2nd Leinster MMs in the 9th July 1917 LG - ref. 68/121/218 (no Cassidy 4685) - so far:

Pte. William Hanlon 4222                    MM schedule no. 87301

Pte. Henry Kennedy 15026                 MM schedule no. 87302

3&4?

Cpl. Patrick Egan 10012                      MM schedule no. 87305 (Bar)

L/C Bartholomew Moynihan 8794        MM schedule no. 87306

L/C Michael Lyons 8192                      MM schedule no. 87307

L/C P. Leslie 1186                               MM schedule no. 87308

EDIT: I don't see any more in that LG? There are some consecutive MM schedule nos. missing (3&4) perhaps Cassidy's was one?

Edited by Ivor Anderson

I notice in the 2nd Lein. WD that they moved under X Corps, 2nd Army in mid May 1917. That may account for the omission of these MMs in their WD during the period of changeover? Though Cunningham's VC for 12/04/17 was mentioned in the WD on 12th July 1917 along with MiDs that appear in the 25-05-1917 LG.

They also absorbed over 300 new personnel on 25-26 May 1917 to fill the ranks of those lost in April. May was a busy month with major changes!

Edited by Ivor Anderson

12 hours ago, museumtom said:

A good find on FMP. Odd that the blurb on the record has place of birth listed as Motherwell, Scotland etc.

FMP has him in the SDU as James; discharged as Died.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=IRE%2FNAI-WRKHS%2F007635130%2F00060&parentid=IRE%2FNAI-WRKHS%2F00671782

I'm not really sure what else we can even look at. Hopefully the Leinster Regiment Association will email me back within the next day or two, and the Ministry of Defence will replace his campaign medals provided I can find the official next of kin.

1 hour ago, SLDreew said:

Also, would his silver war badge have been destroyed along with the BWM and Victory Medal? If so, will the Medal Office replace it?

His SWB (lapel badge) appears to have been issued to him (Ancestry image) - numbered 303689 on the back (photo of from of one):

It is possible that it still survives but finding his exact numbered one would be a long shot.

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 18.17.59.png

s-l1600-77.jpg

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional information

Oh ok then! I don't know where that'll be: perhaps it was sold with the MM, or maybe he was buried with it. Good to know it wasn't destroyed though.

Edited by SLDreew

21 hours ago, Ivor Anderson said:

It is possible. I am finding other 2nd Leinster MMs in the 9th July 1917 LG - ref. 68/121/218 (no Cassidy 4685) - so far:

Pte. William Hanlon 4222                    MM schedule no. 87301

Pte. Henry Kennedy 15026                 MM schedule no. 87302

3&4?

Cpl. Patrick Egan 10012                      MM schedule no. 87305 (Bar)

L/C Bartholomew Moynihan 8794        MM schedule no. 87306

L/C Michael Lyons 8192                      MM schedule no. 87307

L/C P. Leslie 1186                               MM schedule no. 87308

Where did you find these?

Edited by SLDreew

It adds to the circumstantial evidence that there was an administrative error or query about his award at the time that was only corrected in 1919?

Did his mother Margaret outlast him? Could she have got his SWB and MM after Mary Murray married in 1919?

A Margaret Cassidy died in Dublin on 18-12-1912 aged 40 (39 on 1911 census).

A Margaret Cassidy died in Dublin on 23-09-1937 aged 66.

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional information

No. She died in 1912, before he even enlisted.

He had 3 living siblings in 1919, maybe 4. The MM was last owned by a descendant of Catherine Cassidy, his sister.

His parents dying in 1910 and 1912 possibly influenced him to join the army pre-WW1 in 1913.

New first name and younger age implies he wanted to have a break from the past?

If his sister had the MM she may have had the SWB?

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional information

I’ve never heard anything about it, but I’ll ask my cousin about it. If they did, I’d guess it was sold with the MM. Finding one may lead to the other!

I’m also still awaiting an email back from the Leinster Regimental Association which should hopefully provide some information!

Edited by SLDreew

While you search for his MM, you could write up his story using the information on this thread and frame it with this photo of an identical group of 3 to his :)

s-l1600-3 copy.jpg

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Will do! If I can get his medals together, I'll get them framed. In fact, the Department of Defence will replace the BWM and Victory Medal! Do you think it's possible to find a photo of him?

Also I know it's uncertain, but is it most likely that he was awarded the MM for the Battle of Vimy Ridge?