Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ANZAC Cove Destroyed !

Guest CGI

Of course I must admit to a bias, living on the Peninsula and having my main area of study the WWI campaigns in the Middle East, but I fully agree with both Aaron that the Gallipoli Campaign has rather overshadowed the far greater sacrifices on the Western Front as far as Australians and New Zealanders are concerned.

Maybe it was, as Aaron says, the beginning, that so much Antipodean attention is given to Gallipoli, or maybe that the shattering losses that were to come are just so hard to get one’s head around. The Gallipoli campaign has also often been portrayed as glorious, something few have tried to do with the Western Front.

One point I would put forward is that visitors to the Gallipoli battlefields can, due to their better preserved state in some sectors (alas less so now), get a greater appreciation of the experiences of those who served than in some other areas. That is one of the reasons that so many of us here have been jumping up and down so much about the roadworks and other development plans. I expect that if I was living in France or Belgium I’d be hopping mad as occasion required, as I had family who served with both the British and Australian forces there, as well as at Gallipoli and Palestine.

Cheers

Bill

Travel warning time again, tinged with a note of concern. I have been informed by one of the contractors working on the road above ANZAC Cove that work is about to resume in the area. What is going to happen is that a second and then a third layer of asphalt is to be laid, possibly extending the width of the road even further. Concrete curbs are also to be installed. This work, due to begin in the next few days, may result in the closure of the road to vehicles.

Following all this new construction work, there will be a clean up of the area (like scraping all the concrete off the beach at ANZAC Cove I hope).

This news comes on the day that John Howard acknowledged that the road work was far more extensive than he had been led to believe.

It also raises the question of the proposed joint committees to be set up by Turkey, Australia and New Zealand. Obviously from this, existing projects are not to be halted while their impact is assessed.

It would be nice to know when these committees are to be established and what their remit will be. I’m trying to follow this up.

Cheers

Bill

Just another quick update. It has just been announced that on Tuesday, 10 May, the Australian Senate is due to debate a motion tabled by the Greens Party calling for an inquiry into the roadworks on the Gallipoli Peninsula.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of that one.

Bill

Just another update, and not a very welcome one. Turkish National Park authorities have announced plans to dig out and recreate some of the original front line trenches on the Gallipoli battlefields. The plans, which have been floating around for a while, were made public a couple of days ago. Some of the historians who act as advisors to the Park authorities have been proposing that, if there is a need to recreate trenches for touristic purposes, this should be done in a site not actually on the battlefield, such as near the Kabatepe Museum.

Previous reconstructions of trenches, such as those at the Nek and Chunuk Bair bear no resemblance to the original trenches, being lined with pine logs and about one metre deep. The digging out of the trenches at Chunuk Bair unearthed numerous human remains and damaged the actual historical fabric of the area. These reconstructed trenches, and those in other areas, did not follow the lines of the original trenches and have in part obliterated traces of the fighting.

The newly announced plan also brings into question the two proposed joint committees to be set up by Turkey, Australia and New Zealand, one of which was supposed to report on the archaeology of the battlefields, and the other on engineering and development projects. It appears that Turkish authorities have no intention of waiting for these committees to be formed, conduct their studies and hand down their findings.

Bill

Ain't democracy a wonderful thing.

Just in from Australia, posted by the Daily Telegraph.

Inquiry to probe Gallipoli road works

May 11, 2005

A Senate inquiry will probe the federal government's handling of the Gallipoli road works.

The Senate today agreed to a Labor motion to set up an inquiry after concerns were raised during the Anzac Day commemorations that road works had ruined the look of the site and uncovered soldiers' remains.

The inquiry will examine the government's request to the Turkish government in August 2004 to undertake the road work to relieve congestion caused by rising numbers of visitors.

It will also look at the role of Foreign Minister Alexander Downer and the departments of foreign affairs, veterans affairs, prime minister and cabinet and attorney-general, as well as the Office of Australian War Graves and Environment Australia in the road works.

A further issue will be whether Anzac Cove should be heritage protected or declared an international peace park.

Will it be quick enough to table the findings and in time to persuade the Turkish not to do anymore to the site until all the pro's and con's have been wieghed? That is the question.

Kim

Kim,

I am not sure if this is the answer to your question but the following just appeared in the Canberra Times of 11 May.

Gallipoli roadworks review

Turkish authorities have put on hold roadworks at Anzac Cove, waiting for the outcome of a review into controversial repairs at the iconic Gallipoli site.

Prime Minister John Howard revealed yesterday that Turkey and Australia had agreed to review the roadworks, stopping further disruption to the Gallipoli peninsula until the discussions had been conducted.

He said an Australian team contributing to the review would leave at the weekend.

Labor has blamed the Government for the roadworks at Anzac Cove, which have caused extensive scarring to the site. But Mr Howard has denied the Government is responsible for the damage.

OK me again.

Whether work on various sites will halt is another matter and I am trying to find out more about this delegation that is coming over.

Cheers

Bill

Here's a similar update from Senator Mark Bishop's office.

Senator Mark Bishop

Shadow Minister for Veterans’ Affairs

Senator for Western Australia

MEDIA RELEASE

11 May 2005 ref:va.m&pr/10-05

Howard's Gallipoli Road - Inquiry by Senate

The Senate today agreed to an ALP motion referring the Prime Minister's road works at Anzac Cove to the Senate Finance and Public Administration References Committee. The Committee is to report by 30 June.

Labor believes this inquiry will allow the Parliament to discover the truth behind the Prime Minister's repeated denial that his government directly sought the work by the Government of Turkey, in direct contradiction of the content of his minister's letter of August 2004.

It is also expected that the full extent of the Government's involvement in the road works will be revealed, including the failure to properly research the environmental and heritage risks, to consider all the options for the road, and to minimise damage to such a sensitive and historic site.

Evidence will be sought from the Office of Australian War Graves, the Department of Veterans' Affairs, the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Environment Australia, and the Attorney General's Department.

The ALP is most concerned that the negligence demonstrated in the destruction of the Anzac Cove site will continue through to the requested road from Lone Pine to Chunuk Bair. This route roughly follows the final front line of 1915 and is therefore at greatest risk of uncovering thousands of missing men of all nationalities.

We also believe that the Prime Minister cannot escape responsibility for this disastrous project. His constant denial and blame directed at the Government of Turkey is contrary to the evidence available so far and it's expected this will be confirmed before the Committee.

Terms of reference attached.

Inquiry into the Anzac Cove road works.

Terms of reference:

"To inquire and report upon

The circumstances surrounding the request by the Australian Government to the Turkish Government in August 2004 to undertake work to ease congestion on the Gallipoli Peninsula;

The role of the Minister for Foreign Affairs, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, the Department of Veterans Affairs, the Attorney Generals Department , the Office of Australian War Graves, the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, and Environment Australia in the roads works, and related construction activity, at Anzac Cove in the lead up to Anzac Day on April 25, 2005;

The heritage protection of Anzac Cove, including the proposed joint historical and archaeological survey of Anzac Cove and proposals for the establishment of an international peace park and national and world heritage listing for the area, and

Any other related matters."

Andrew,

thanks for the statement from Senator Bishop's office, I'd already seen the general terms of reference but that added some depth.

As to the visiting delegation of Australian experts, I have got some more info.

It is a technical mission comprising engineers and historians who will meet with their Turkish counterparts to discuss the plans agreed by Prime Minister Howard and Prime Minister

Erdogan for a joint historical survey and a joint engineering review of the

Anzac area. The delegation will be visiting both Ankara and the Peninsula and will be arriving in Turkey on about May 15.

Let's see where this goes.

Cheers

Bill

Thanks for the post Andrew. I know there's many of us watching these developments with great interest.

Cheers,

Mat

Thanks Andrew, very interesting. Let's see if anything actually gets done this time.

I still don't know why it takes an absolute tragedy before someone will sit up and take notice. The cove may have been damaged but let's hope the rest of the peninsula can be protected before it's too late.

Tim L.

P.S. Thanks for the updates and keep em' coming.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi pals,

this might not be the end of the battle, but this story from the Australian media is the best news I've heard in a long time. It just shows what public pressure can do in a good cause. Thanks to all who stood up when they needed to be counted.

Cheers

Bill

Anzac fiasco fall-out

Neil Wilson

11jun05

THE Office of War Graves has been relieved of its role liaising with Turkey over Gallipoli roadworks after the fiasco over the Anzac Cove road.

The Federal Government will appoint a special official to work with the Turks to ensure future work at Gallipoli is environmentally sensitive.

The Department of Veterans Affairs officer will be based in Turkey and take up the position soon after an expert delegation to Gallipoli returns.

Veterans Affairs Minister De-Anne Kelly said the officer would consult with Turkey over future development of the Gallipoli peace park.

That included the historic ridge road along the old front line of trenches on Gallipoli's heights, and included areas such as Lone Pine, the Nek and runs to Chunuk Bair.

"The officer will be based in Ankara to consult with government but we also expect he or she would spend a lot of time in Cannakale, at Gallipoli," Ms Kelly said.

She said the team of senior officials, geo-technical engineers and a historian met Turkish national park officials to discuss the sensitive development of the Gallipoli peace park.

They particularly looked at ocean erosion around Anzac Cove and along the Gallipoli coast, which led to the roadworks in the first place.

Ms Kelly said experts had presented several options for coping with the perpetual problem of erosion from the sea, which has badly affected and altered the coastline.

Part of the problem of erosion has also come from run-off from the hills after rainfall.

The delegation travelled to Gallipoli after talks on Anzac Day between Prime Minister John Howard and Turkish Prime Minister Recep Erdogan.

The increased Australian input comes after claims by historians that the Anzac Cove road upgrade requested by Australia had destroyed a key location of the first Anzac landings.

The head of the Office of War Graves, Air Vice Marshal Gary Beck, and local embassy officials came under pressure over how well they oversaw the work of the Turkish national park authorities.

"Rather than leaving it to the OWG we will have an officer to keep up with plans for the peace park as they unfold," Ms Kelly said.

Thanks Bill, that is heartening news. Awaiting further developments. I hope that the official appointed is able to operate independently of politics.

Cheers

Kim

Where can I send my resume'? Let's hope whoever gets the nod does a far better job than the last lot!!

Tim L.

Cheers Bill,

Seems very promising. But how is this going to work? Just another hat for some poor ****** at the embassy or are they actually appointing someone specifically to the job?

Tim

Thanks, Bill. Hopefully this will be a position with some clout.

Take whoever it is that eventually shows up to the Efes Bar!

Quote from Bill : this might not be the end of the battle, but this story from the Australian media is the best news I've heard in a long time. It just shows what public pressure can do in a good cause. Thanks to all who stood up when they needed to be counted.

I’d like to add my thanks to Bill for keeping us up to speed on this

And not forgetting CGI who first brought this mess to our attention

Regards

Michael D.R.

For those Pals interested, following are the web sites for the submissions and the transcripts of the evidence given at the Australian Senate inquiry into the Gallipoli Peninsula.

Submissions

http://www.aph.gov.au/Senate/committee/fap...ons/sublist.htm

Transcripts

http://www.aph.gov.au/Senate/committee/fap...rings/index.htm

I must say that being called as a witness was an "interesting" experience, as was having my many flaws pointed out to me by the government senators.

Cheers

Bill

Thanks Bill,

I've skimmed through portions if this and it looks to be fascinating reading. I'll print it and read it in depth over the next couple of days.

I assume that's you they were talking to by phone.

Tim L.

Tim,

yes, it was me at the other end of the line. I had offered to ply to Australia at my own expense to testify before the committee, but they settled for the telephonic option. Not easy to sustain for three and a half hours, especially in the face of some pretty wild accusations.

Cheers

Bill