Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

Masnieres?

• Admin

Not there either. 

• Admin

No, the caribou is correct, but you can also see it from my mystery cemetery ( as you can from Beaulencourt, I was there yesterday) 

Courcellete?

• Admin

Cigar to Richard. 

IMG_2500.jpeg

IMG_2501.jpeg

That looks like the Gueudecourt Caribou, but what do I know? If it is it might be the Guards Cemetery at Lesboeufs.

Pete.

19 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

That looks like the Gueudecourt Caribou, but what do I know? If it is it might be the Guards Cemetery at Lesboeufs.

Pete.

Keep up Pete!

Reg (about 10 miles from the Caribou - on a wet Somme, but not quite so windy now at last)

5 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

Keep up Pete!

They said the adolescent substance abuse would have this effect eventually............

4 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

They said the adolescent substance abuse would have this effect eventually............

Nothing to do with with alleged adolescent eyesight loss then Pete😁

Edited by Knotty

By contrast my eyesight gets better with age unless I'm looking at the page number of the post when I can't see a thing. I've just got completely lost in WiT? too. I may have to retire hurt.....

5 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Yup, Goodison Park can have that effect.

Here's another one for the frequent cemetery visitors.

This ADS is directly over the road from the cemetery for the lads which were beyond help from the ADS and did not make it.

In 2 halves, one half of pre-cast blocks and beams, Arques style, and one half concrete; over the entrance (in the still existing barn, not visible from the outside) is the date of construction, August 22 1918.

Not a quiet area, for example on 23rd August a nearby MGC unit recorded  "very considerable shelling" by the Germans.

The cemetery contains dates both prior to and after August, and also a number from the 1940 withdrawal to Dunkirk.

Anyone know it?

Peter

h16.JPG

h16-2.JPG

Edited by mebu

No-one has replied so I assume nobody knows the cemetery.

Nieppe-Bois (Rue du Bois), near Vieux Berquin. I don't think it's visited that often.

By the road which runs through the wood, which just behind the front line after the 1918 German advance. 

Quite a lot to see in the wood, much trenched and shelled, worth a walk if ever you are in that area. Two other cemeteries close by which were used at this time are Tannay and Haverskerque.

Peter

Blimey Peter, it’s only been up since Thursday, still trying to work out the @dickaren cemetery😁

Still, it probably would have had me stumped (can’t speak for the others), duly noted as another area of interest if I ever get back across the Channel

John

• Admin
43 minutes ago, mebu said:

No-one has replied so I assume nobody knows the cemetery.

Nieppe-Bois (Rue du Bois), near Vieux Berquin. I don't think it's visited that often.

By the road which runs through the wood, which just behind the front line after the 1918 German advance. 

Quite a lot to see in the wood, much trenched and shelled, worth a walk if ever you are in that area. Two other cemeteries close by which were used at this time are Tannay and Haverskerque.

Peter

Darn, I was going to suggest that as it looked familiar. I’ve visited Nieppe-Bois twice this year.

following Michelle everywhere, we were staying at Steenbecque this time.

image.jpeg.bed746d623dbce56b85877fa2c0ad163.jpeg

Edited by chaz

Achoo! Excuse me; bit of a cold. 

1 minute ago, chaz said:

that was quick. strange place tucked down the side of a supermarket

You gave it away Chaz. On Google maps it's on the direct line between those two places. :thumbsup: