Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French cities vehicle emissions charges

KevinBattle

You can buy it by post. I presume that Brittany Ferries are warning people to buy it in advance because some people might think that you can buy it on the spot, like you can a Swiss or a German vignette.

2 hours ago, healdav said:

You don't have any option but to buy it in advance. It is available only on-line.

being on the border of the Somme and Pas de Calais is there a map or list of cities that are currently enforcing the rule?

we normally operate Hesdin, Frevent, Auxi le Chateau, Albert, Doullens, Bapaume, Arras, St Pol with the odd trip to Abbeville and Bethune but will also be in Boulogne next time.

21 hours ago, Dragon said:

Brittany Ferries have the information on their website and they advise drivers to buy the sticker in advance, with a link provided to the government website where it can be bought.

Gwyn

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

I applied for my sticker on 1 April and received an acknowledgment.

On 3 April I received an e-mailed PDF for temporary use until the original arrived.

Today (6 April) the item arrived by post.

Perhaps they are not very busy in the office?

Martin

4 hours ago, tootrock said:

I applied for my sticker on 1 April and received an acknowledgment.

On 3 April I received an e-mailed PDF for temporary use until the original arrived.

Today (6 April) the item arrived by post.

Perhaps they are not very busy in the office?

Martin

Exactly the same quality of service for me Martin

Regards

Martin

Mine came very quickly too.

But do check your bank account. They debited mine three times.  As it's only £8 I'm not terribly bothered but I will pursue it.

I had a receipt and a PDF within 48 hours - I will however as you suggest check my bank acccount

Likewise, mine arrived last week just a few days after application.  One less thing to worry about come June, but I will also be checking my bank statements!

Clive

A very simple and efficient process - mine arrived today by post less than a week after I ordered it on the internet. I admire the efficiency. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered mine tonight, i was logged out twice as it took me too long to initially complete the Co2 section then resize the jpeg below 400kb, on both occasions it reverted to the French site. I would recommend to anyone about to apply to create the jpeg at the required size before starting !

I ordered mine on Sunday and it arrived yesterday (Friday), very fast turn around.

Mandy

Why? 

I have had my car MOTd twice with a German emissions sticker on. No-one has ever commented. 

Gwyn

17 hours ago, Dragon said:

Why? 

I have had my car MOTd twice with a German emissions sticker on. No-one has ever commented. 

Gwyn

A few posts ago I thought someone suggested it may contravene the U.K. MOT rules as it is within the sweep area of the windscreen.

Edited by Mick D

15 hours ago, Mick D said:

A few posts ago I thought someone suggested it may contravene the U.K. MOT rules as it is within the sweep area of the windscreen.

Why not put it OUTSIDE of the sweep area ? I put mine (& the insurance sticker) on the upper part of the windscreen

I actually had enough space at the bottom right hand side to avoid the sweep area.

• 2 months later...

Well, I duly landed in France last month with my vehicle proudly sporting a nice orange "Crit'Air" sticker as required -  and found I was almost alone!  In the west of France, I had a job finding ANY vehicle with this sticker on.  My best impromptu survey in a tourist area car park found 4 out of 25 cars using them, and at least one of those was British.

More likely it was 1 in 25, or less. Much less even than that on the street parking.  If this is the law and people can be fined on the spot for not displaying their sticker, where are they all?  Has there been a "cooling off" period in which it's not mandatory; or mass disobedience as in the case of the breathalysers, or what?  

Clive  

Edited by clive_hughes

My experience on the Somme and in the Loire Valley was similar. Mine is a pretty yellow one.

Keith

What is this?  I live in France and have a car and I've never heard of it.  The car was MOTd last year and the garage did not mention it.

This thing is probably the most underadvertised event in the whole of human history.

The only time I heard of it was on this forum, and the only time it has been mentioned is a French friend who asked me last week where it was on the windscreen.

As I understand it, no one is yet enforcing it (whatever that means), and the list of towns and cities wanting to enfore it is growing regularly.

Along with everyone else I have not the slightest clue why we need it (bit like the breathalysers which now appear to have been abandoned).

Yet another nice little earner for the French government, I fear. At least this one only costs about 5 euros. How long it lasts for is another life's little mysteries and what you are supposed to do when you have it, or what anyone else is going to do, are yet more of life's mysteries.

As you say, I have yet to meet a Frenchman in France who has either heard of it or got one.

Edited by healdav

Yet another nice little earner for the Frnch government, I fear.

And for the ferry companies who assiduously promote these motoring must haves but will never need.

1 hour ago, Hedley Malloch said:

And for the ferry companies who assiduously promote these motoring must haves but will never need.

Another of those rip offs that Britain has become famous for.

Didn't they introduce legislation requiring everyone to drive round with their headlights on a few years ago? The French simply ignored it and it went away. With respect to breathylisers, I was told that they had never enacted that part of the legislation which sets the fines.

Ask for a vegetarian meal in France and they'll simply cut the meat up into smaller pieces!

it is already compulsory in (some parts of) Lille,Paris -  other big towns will follow ( Avignon, Béthune, Bordeaux, Clermont-Ferrand, Douai-Lens, Marseille-Aix-en-Provence, Metz, Montpellier, Nancy, Nantes, Nice, Orléans, Pointe-à-Pitre-Les-Abymes, Rennes, Rouen, Saint-Etienne, Strasbourg, Toulon, Toulouse, Tours et Valenciennes )