Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French cities vehicle emissions charges

KevinBattle

4 hours ago, Dragon said:

I think the article was hinting that some people might have been trying to misrepresent their vehicles! Possibly those who don't have Internet or wanted to send a cheque, and filled in a paper form, might have made the occasional slip of the pen! ;) 

Don't see how they could get away with it. The registration number is matched to the owner's name and address and the characteristics of the vehicle as shown on the carte grise. You get the vignette which goes with your car.  

Cheers Martin B

I have just noticed that the 'Q' code printed on the vignette contains the car registration and vin number, amongst a lot of other numbers. Not a particularly easy item to forge.

John

I thought so. It isn't important!  I was just remarking that the article I read (in French) seemed to be suggesting that there were more applications for green vignettes than there should have been. I suppose if a vehicle owner submits a paper form with an error, for whatever reason, someone has to deal with that.

We can now apply for ours. [Link removed] We don't need one until 1st April, though, according to that Crit'Air site. Les véhicules qui ne sont pas immatriculés en France, c’est-à-dire les véhicules de touristes et les véhicules professionnels européens ne devront porter une vignette Crit’Air qu’à parti du 1er avril 2017, lorsqu’ils souhaiteront rouler dans les zones à circulation restreinte (ZCR). Do check independently.

Gwyn

*Edit. Link removed to third party site which adds charges to cover its costs.

Edited by Dragon

Thanks for the link, Gwyn, but what's with the €29.65 charge?

Cars registered abroad will only be allowed to drive into the centre of the French capital without one until March 31 and a sticker will cost around £3.20 each (€3.70) – or £3.60 (€4.18) including postage.

That's a lot different from the original information.....

I agree, not good. It's a third party site, which charges 31,90€ for the German plakette where other sites charges 15€. We paid 7,50€ in 2012. Personally I would try the official French site first.

I gave the link because the site is in English and probably some members of the GWF don't read French. They justify the higher charge by saying it's to cover the provision of a multi lingual site.Nous couvrons nos charges, nos frais de personnel et les frais importants qui incombent à la gestion de 35 sites internet internationaux en fournissant particuliers et entreprises en vignettes environnementales. This is there for anyone to read before they proceed.

I've edited my post above and removed the link.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

As of this afternoon it is possible to purchase a vignette for a vehicle registered other than in France.  The website is https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/

The cost is 3.7 euros (4.8 euros with postage).

The application is in English, but one bit of information asked for is "Brand". Does this mean make of car?

Martin

I understand it to mean marque, make.

Edited by Dragon

It's a bit late at night so it might be me but that attachment limit of 200kb might result in an almost unreadable jpeg?  I'll take another look in the morning.

I compressed mine to 192 kb and it's fine, easily legible.

Gwyn

6 hours ago, Dragon said:

I compressed mine to 192 kb and it's fine, easily legible.

Gwyn

How many pages of the V5 did you copy Gwyn?

Reg

Just page 2 - the one with the important vehicle information on. Pages 3 & 4 didn't seem relevant to the application. I scanned at 200 pixels/cm, resized to 75 and compressed by 55%; I think this - extract sample -

MK12EUR Registration document compressed sample2.jpg

is legible enough, but if they don't like it they can say so! :)  I reckon if they want the rest, I can rescan at lower resolution, optimise by quite a lot and still leave it legible.

Edited by Dragon

They still have not sorted it out for older classic cars, since the french treat classic cars with a different cheaper registration document, and MOT every 5 years. You have to pay capital gains tax if you sell it on. Wonder what Le Mans is going to do.

4 minutes ago, SiegeGunner said:

How old is regarded as 'classic'?  Mine is 25 years old in May and I can see it falling between two stools ...

I am getting the information, and will forward on or post. Mine's a 1979 registration so I need to sort it.

Can I humbly ask for some clarification, please?  Sorry to say I'm not sure how this sticker/charge relates to my intended bit of holiday in western France (after April).. I don't mind buying the sticker, but having labelled my diesel vehicle what happens next?

I'm not sure which towns or villages we might go to, and am getting the impression that those in the scheme might be making up their own rules as to when cars of different categories are allowed within the boundaries, as it were?   Then what?  Do I have to be aware of what restrictions/charges apply in each of them?  After buying a sticker, does someone come along and levy a payment from me for driving in say Bordeaux - or do I have to confess my journey online within 24 hours and make a payment like in London?  Or am I not allowed in Bordeaux at all and will be fined, sticker or no sticker?!  

If everyone charges diesels for existing it sounds like a nightmare, and most offputting.  But maybe I've got it wrong...

Confused Clive

My (perhaps imperfect) understanding is that the vignette is for ALL areas in France, whether Crit'Air applies (at the moment) or not.

Obviously a vehicle in the worst category is not allowed to be in the controlled zone between 8am and 8pm.

Even the French can't be applying possibly different standards from one commune to the next, it has to be at a National standard -doesn't it?

I think it's been mentioned earlier, but they are also imposing reduced speed limits in areas/days of high pollution, which may impact on expected arrival times at overnight stops. Quite how taking longer to pass through a pollution zone REDUCES pollution I don't quite grasp, if your vehicle is a pot boiler, surely they'd want you gone asap!

If you have a "polluting" vehicle and use a Dieppe ferry, can you only pass through to/from docks after 8pm?

7 hours ago, clive_hughes said:

After buying a sticker, does someone come along and levy a payment from me for driving in say Bordeaux - or do I have to confess my journey online within 24 hours and make a payment like in London?  Or am I not allowed in Bordeaux at all and will be fined, sticker or no sticker?!  

I  don't know how the French system will operate, but I have experienced many times how it works in Germany. You apply for and buy the umweltplakette / vignette and put in in the specified place on your windscreen. Then, when you go into the environmentally sensitive areas in Germany, usually city centres, you keep an eye open for the signs that mark the start of the zone. If you have a sticker which allows you to drive in, in you go. If you haven't, you can't go in. It's that simple. The decision that your car can be allowed in has already been taken, so you don't need to confess or pay any more. They do carry out checks, particularly in areas of on street parking. You can drive freely anywhere else.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

14 hours ago, Dragon said:

Just page 2 - the one with the important vehicle information on. Pages 3 & 4 didn't seem relevant to the application. I scanned at 200 pixels/cm, resized to 75 and compressed by 55%; I think this - extract sample -

MK12EUR Registration document compressed sample2.jpg

is legible enough, but if they don't like it they can say so! :)  I reckon if they want the rest, I can rescan at lower resolution, optimise by quite a lot and still leave it legible.

OK Gwyn - thanks.  I was thinking maybe pages 1 and 2 but agree that page 2 captures the significant detail.  I did play around to get one page within the limit OK so will probably follow your example.  Be interested to know how you get on, how long it takes etc.

Regards.

Reg.

• 2 weeks later...

HELP!

I am trying to fill in their wretched form.  Although I speak fluent French, I thought it would be easier to deal with the English version of the site because I presumed its categories would correspond to those on my UK registration certificate.

Hah!

- What do I put as the "serial number"?  Is that the chassis number, at item E on the reg cert?  Or one of the Type numbers at item D2, higher up?

- "Brand", I divine from reading the French to mean Make; and "Trade name" to mean Model.

- Euro standard ???   Would that be item K, "Type approval number"?  It starts with the letter e !

- CO2; I guess that is simply the g/km figure at item V7?

Thanks in advance to any of you who have managed this!

Angela

Edited by angelab

On 12/02/2017 at 23:34, angelab said:

HELP!

I am trying to fill in their wretched form.  Although I speak fluent French, I thought it would be easier to deal with the English version of the site because I presumed its categories would correspond to those on my UK registration certificate.

Hah!

- What do I put as the "serial number"?  Is that the chassis number, at item E on the reg cert?  Or one of the Type numbers at item D2, higher up?

- "Brand", I divine from reading the French to mean Make; and "Trade name" to mean Model.

- Euro standard ???   Would that be item K, "Type approval number"?  It starts with the letter e !

- CO2; I guess that is simply the g/km figure at item V7?

Thanks in advance to any of you who have managed this!

Angela

I understood serial number to be the VIN number in 'E'. You can find the Euro Standard here http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/low-emission-zones-main/what-emissions-standard-is-my-vehicle My CO2 is in V1, but yes you can take it from the relevant part of the V5, though that answer was optional and I reckon they'll take that from the V5 anyway.

To anyone who thinks they'll need this, don't leave it till the last minute. I filled mine in on 1 February and still haven't got the vignette back, though the payment processed through my bank on 3 February.

Has anyone living in France heard anything about this? We have so many transborder workers that I would have expected to hear something in he newspapers, radio, etc. But not a word. Even the Automobile Club hasn't sent anything.

• Admin

My car is a 16 plate Picanto, I don't know what date this would be in. Do they tell you this when applying? 

Thanks