Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French cities vehicle emissions charges

KevinBattle

If only it was April 1st... but....

Heads Up!

The French are introducing emission charges for vehicles in city centres. A new colour-coded car emissions sticker system has come into force in Paris - and if you don't have the correct one you face fines of between £58 and £117While most British holidaymakers driving in France will give Paris a wide berth, a sizeable number will make a trip into the city - and they will now find they need to sign up to an emissions scheme, or that older cars may even be banned.

The Crit-Air scheme requires all vehicles – cars, lorries, motorcycles and buses – to display a round sticker, or vignette, in the windscreen that confirms which emissions group the vehicle fits into by the colour of the badge.

WHICH STICKER WILL I NEED FOR MY CAR?

CRIT'AIR GREEN VEHICLES (GREEN AND WHITE STICKER): - This is the lowest band restricted only for 100% pure-electric or hydrogen vehicles.

CRIT'AIR 1 (PURPLE STICKER): - Only plug-in hybrid cars and Euro 5 and 6 petrol models (registered from 1 January 2011) fit into this bracket.

CRIT'AIR 2 (YELLOW STICKER): - This category is for Euro 4 petrol-powered cars (registered between 1 January 2006 to 31 December 2010) and Euro 5 and 6 diesel models (registered from 1 January 2011).

CRIT'AIR 3 (ORANGE STICKER): - Euro 2 and 3 petrol cars (registered from 1 January 1997 to 31 December 2005) qualify for this band.

- Any petrol car registered before 1997 does not qualify for a Crit'Air sticker at all.

- Crit'Air 3 also includes Euro 4 diesel cars (registered between 1 January 2006 to 31 December 2010).

CRIT'AIR 4 (DARK RED STICKER): - This group is only applicable to Euro 3 diesel cars, which were registered between 1 January 2001 and 31 December 2005.

CRIT'AIR 5 (DARK BLUE STICKER): - The lowest group only includes Euro 2 diesels, registered from 1 January 1997 to 31 December 2000.

- Diesel cars older than this are not eligible for a badge.

Cars registered abroad will only be allowed to drive into the centre of the French capital without one until March 31 and a sticker will cost around £3.20 each (€3.70) – or £3.60 (€4.18) including postage.

And it's not just Paris. Grenoble and Lyon have already introduced the Crit'Air scheme from 1 January 2017, which splits vehicles into six different groups depending on their Euro Emissions standard. For more information about the Crit'Air scheme you can go to the French website ahead of the launch of the imminent English version: www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/.

Vehicles that fail to fit meet the emissions limits of even the highest Crit-Air group will not be allowed access to the capital between 8am and 8pm, Monday to Friday. While the stickers only cost around £3.20 to buy, the website is currently only in French. An English-language site is, however, due to be in operation as of 1 February.

22 FRENCH TOWNS PLANNING TO INTRODUCE THE EMISSIONS CERTIFICATE

Avignon                                            Faucigny, Glières, Bonneville

Arras                                                Lille

Annemasse                                      Le Havre

Bordeaux                                         Montpellier

Cannes                                            Reims

Clermont-Ferrand                            Rouen

Champlan                                        Saint-Etienne

Côte Basque-Adour                         Strasbourg

Dunkerque                                       Saint Maur-des-Fossés

Dijon                                                 Toulouse

Epernay                                           Vallée de la Marne

Whilst it is particularly aimed at major city centres, there are some towns and cities on the list that do affect Battlefield Touring.

The English version of the website (in bold above) is intended to be operational from 1st February.

It is worth bearing in mind when planning holiday travel.

It seems it doesn't matter (yet) how polluting (or clean) your vehicle is, the charge looks to be the same, but no doubt the colour code will come into play in the future.

Don't shoot the messenger, I assume that one vignette will be valid wherever, not having to buy one for each town (!) so after 1st February it wil be worth looking at the official English version to check the details in depth.

German cities have required a car to have an environmental umwelt-plakette to enter low emissions zones for ten years. Where? We had no problem getting a green one five years ago and once in place you forget about it. The sticker is valid for any city and doesn't expire.

We often go across to Germany from Alsace. In fact in 2012 when we booked an hotel in Freiburg, they offered to buy a badge for us (and we reimbursed them) to save us any hassle. They're very easily bought online.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon
Clarity

As the proud owner of a 25yr-old petrol Range Rover, registered in May 1992, I can see this becoming a problem ... especially if it's not possible to enter France through the port of Dunkirk without entering the controlled zone.  I gather there are already moves afoot to secure some sort of arrangement to cover 'classic cars', and I note that Le Mans has not joined the scheme (yet). 

I'm not sure how the Euro-Emissions standard/classification works, but if it is based on measurements made around the time of registration of the first example of each vehicle model, it almost certainly won't be representative of the true emissions level of individual older vehicles.  Advances in petrol formulation, spark plug and ignition system design, etc, in the past 25 years have enabled my vehicle, at its last MOT test in December, to register less than half its permitted emissions limit. And I would wager that it is considerably 'cleaner' than many much newer diesel vehicles ...

Your vehicle is unusual, though, isn't it. When we acquired our badge, there was the option of having it inspected by an engineer (or you could be required to have it checked); I wonder whether that will be considered as they see how the scheme works in practice. 

I find it it quite odd that there hasn't been co-ordination so that one badge is accepted in all countries which currently require or are introducing them.

Most of the text in the original post is taken from the Daily Mail and other outlets which have used the same text. The reader comments are, predictably, outraged, with many contributors vowing never to go to France ever again, ever, ever, ever. [No comment. ;) ] It seems to have passed by most of them that it's possible to drive round most of Germany and France (at the moment) without needing an emissions badge. And those cities listed have not yet introduced the badges, so in the time before then, people may change their vehicles.

Edited by Dragon

• Admin

I can't really see this as being a particular issue, after all the emission zone payment has been in force in London for some time and it's easy enough to sort a payment. I'm a bit disappointed that Kevin didn't consider the Marne Valley as an area which affects battlefield touring though. 

I will look at the site to see if this sticker needs to be in place for motorcycles too.

Michelle 

I live just 30 kilometres from Paris but I haven't got round to buying my vignette yet. One of my cars is only just eligible for it (diesel registered Feb '97) anyway, and I drive into the big city so rarely it's not urgent for me. At the moment there is an unspecified grace period for cars that fit the criteria (i.e. a police warning instead of a fine), but ones that don't qualify face a fine if caught. But the French being the French many people are expected to try to get away with not having one, despite the very modest price. But Paris has been suffering from a serious bout of air pollution from an atmospheric inversion for several weeks now, meaning that if you want to see the top of the Eiffel tower you may be out of luck.

Cheers Martin B

I am unclear whether the object of this exercise is to reduce pollution, reduce traffic levels or extract money from motorists.  Rather than rely on manufacturers' data, I should have thought that the best way for France to proceed would be to measure the actual emission levels of each individual vehicle as part of its periodic technical inspection (equivalent of MOT), issue vignettes accordingly (in various bands or categories) and then enact national/local legislation to regulate the use of vehicles in particular places and at particular times.  So, for example, Arras might ban vehicles in the 'dirtiest' categories from the city centre except on market day. 

It's going to be interesting seeing this implemented in Lyon where the main road between the motorways goes along the side of the Rhone, and right through or near, the centre of the city. And, incidentally, past the refineries.

The alternative is to go a long way around the city on the toll motorway.

Similarly, restrictions in Paris would not affect the périphérique, which is technically extra-muros, but in the past they have reduced the speed limit on it.

Cheers Martin B

7 minutes ago, Martin Bennitt said:

Similarly, restrictions in Paris would not affect the périphérique, which is technically extra-muros, but in the past they have reduced the speed limit on it.

Cheers Martin B

The peripherique is well defined, but the Lyon road is used by city dwellers to go from one part of the city to another, and to cross the Rhone.

On 25/01/2017 at 11:35, Michelle Young said:

I will look at the site to see if this sticker needs to be in place for motorcycles too.

Michelle 

It does, with any bikes registered before May 1, 2000 being ineligible.

If I understand them correctly, the restrictions only apply on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

I was in Paris yesterday and saw relatively few vehicles sporting their stickers.

Cheers Martin B

• Admin

Thanks Martin, our 1988 Beamer is ineligible then. Does that mean we can't go into Arras?

... and the Valley of the Marne.... :lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/16/british-motorists-face-pollution-fines-paris-car-windscreen/

All scooters, cars and lorries now require a sticker showing how much they pollute on their windscreens. Those with high pollution scores face being barred from entering the French capital on days when pollution is high. 

Some vehicles aren't assigned to any category, meaning they're banned from driving in the city (Paris) from Monday to Friday between 8 am and 8 pm.  

These include any that are registered from earlier than 1997, scooters and motorbikes from before June 1st 2000, and trucks and buses from before 2001.

I don't know if other cities will have different criteria, but logically they probably will be the same as Paris.

The English version website should be available from 1st Feb, that may answer many questions.

As pointed out, some "older" vehicles which apparently fall foul of the date limits can actually have quite low emissions.

It might be possible for your Beamer to be low scoring, perhaps a vehicle testing station may print out your score, so you might be able to challenge - before March and Article 50 shenanigans.....

French car clubs are going mad. 

It doesn't just apply to cities. All sorts of areas are affected, and without any real publicity - I'm living in France at the moment, and haven't seen a word about it in the newspapers.

Apparently it applies to all sorts of town, and even villages. I shall have to get one, if I can work out how to do it.

http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/Un-certificat-qualite-de-l-air,43566.html - obtain vignette Crit'Air at  https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/ - non French vehicles from 1st Feb. Explanatory  2 minute film on YouTube.

Article in English https://www.crit-air.fr/en.html

Edited by Dragon
Link to film

Having seen that practically anywhere in France can impose these restrictions at a moment's notice I have just ordered the vignettes for both my vehicles.

Cheers Martin B

This is a really bizarre story. I drove from the south of France to Luxembourg over the weekend. From a good distance south of Lyons right the way through, there were signs on the motorways saying that due to the pollution the speed limits on all roads have been reduced by 20kmh from the normal.

By and large this was respected right through Burgundy. North of that it was ignored.

The whole time the Radio Autoroute was putting out bulletins advising people to slow down because of the lowering of the speed limits.

NOT ONCE was any vignette mentioned either on the radio or on any sign at all (and we were waiting to see that would happen).

I saw no cars, etc. with any vignette, and even fewer Gendarmes despite notices saying that there were extra speed checks (we normally see 2 or 3 speed traps on the motorways apart from the cameras).

What surprised me as well is that this vignette business, if it exists, does not just apply to the big cities. My local paper, in the south, listed a whole load of small towns in the VAR where the vignette was required (and no info on how to get one). How it applies and where, in other regions I have no idea.

The Radio Autoroute said that there were restrictioons on speed pretty much throughout France, and certainly the whole of the Aisne, Nord and Pas de Calais areas i.e., for this forum, the WW1 battlefield areas.

Ségolène Royal has said that  2.5m 3.4m vignettes have been applied for and that there has been a last-minute rush. The report seemed to suggest that these mainly related to Paris. It's perhaps possible that some people's stickers are in the post. There also seem to have been complications and delays caused by people applying optimistically for a green or purple vignette. Some officials were suggesting a couple of weeks ago that people's consciences have been pricked by experiencing the pollution problems which occurred in Paris last month, causing a surge in applications.

Ségolène Royal has also said that a dozen other cities are ready to apply the scheme, but she is insisting that they must have alternative transport arrangements in place first. (Source: Le Figaro)

Gwyn

Edit. Updating numbers

Edited by Dragon

" It's perhaps possible that some people's stickers are in the post. There also seem to have been complications and delays caused by people applying optimistically for a green or purple vignette"

When I applied for mine I did not have the opportunity to state which vignette I was ordering. Once I had filled in the required information from the carte grisse, it told me which one i was getting! I was surprised how easy it was to complete, apart from my name there were just three boxes.

John

I am promised a Class 1 vignette for one car and a Class 3 for the other. While you are waiting for La Poste they email you a certificate you can keep in the glove compartment as proof of purchase.

Which reminds me: how many people keep gloves in the glove compartment, or put parcels on the parcels shelf?

Cheers Martin B

4 hours ago, Dragon said:

Ségolène Royal has said that 2.5m vignettes have been applied for and that there has been a last-minute rush. The report seemed to suggest that these mainly related to Paris. It's perhaps possible that some people's stickers are in the post. There also seem to have been complications and delays caused by people applying optimistically for a green or purple vignette. Some officials were suggesting a couple of weeks ago that people's consciences have been pricked by experiencing the pollution problems which occurred in Paris last month, causing a surge in applications.

It is noticeable that an awful lot of cars in Frnce, just as in Britain, spew black smoke out, obviously needing a session with a mechanic.

Some of the ones we see here just need scrapping. Until last year I had a (then) 29 year old XR2; if properly serviced, an engine ought to outlast the bodywork.

I follow certain Facebook pages to do with Alsace and the Vosges. It didn't surprise me that they've been having reduced speed limits on the Rhine plain such as through Strasbourg because of pollution. There's been photographic evidence of huge dense clouds hanging over the plain and into the valleys. Some of this is anticyclonic weather behaviour, but a phenomenon has been neige de pollution or neige industriel, where snow hasn't fallen on the Vosgien massif where you'd expect it to be, but in the villages on the plain and on the route des vins. It's been caused by atmospheric pollution where condensation forms on the polluting particles and they freeze, eventually falling as light snow. It's a weird effect, because normally the massif might be shrouded in low cloud with the sun on the plain; this was the exact opposite.

(There is proper snow on the massif now, and the temperatures have been -15°; this is normal snow.)

Gwyn

1 hour ago, Frajohn said:

When I applied for mine I did not have the opportunity to state which vignette I was ordering. Once I had filled in the required information from the carte grisse, it told me which one i was getting!

I think the article was hinting that some people might have been trying to misrepresent their vehicles! Possibly those who don't have Internet or wanted to send a cheque, and filled in a paper form, might have made the occasional slip of the pen! ;)