Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French cities vehicle emissions charges

KevinBattle

Ouch.

I have just tried.

Now to this former civil servant the "Serial Number" question related to the registration document and I was going to use the document number on the first page of my registration document.

Then, having checked that my diesel has an engine rating of Euro 4 I thought I was home and dry. Unfortunately the next field "CO2"  won't allow a full reply. The registration doc gives 0.279 as the CO figure, but the form won't let me progress beyond 0.2

Being a wimp, and in not much of a hurry -  I plan a trip to France in May, I have used the contact form, and asked about both issues . If and when I get a reply I will share it.

Keith

Speaking to a friend in the car trade living in France this does not apply to classic cars since they have a different license, still to trying to sort out one for a UK classic car.

Apparently this is the real start of the campaign against diesels and new sales have slumped this year in France.

Remember the panic when everyone had to carry a breathalyser...??? whatever happened to that..??

Tom

Edited by towisuk

40 minutes ago, towisuk said:

Remember the panic when everyone had to carry a breathalyser...??? whatever happened to that..??

Tom

It was decided that as no one, including those who made it mandatory, had the slightest idea what they were supposed to do with them, the rule was dropped.

• 2 weeks later...

Did they not have a similar problem a few years back when they made it mandatory to drive with dipped headlights? Nobody bothered so they abandoned the requirement. 

From what I heard, carrying two breathalisers is still compulsory but the legislation introducing the fines for not doing so has never been implemented.

Should we still carry Breathalisers when in France??

Tony

Automotive shops still seem to think so - my local Halfords has a number of the officially approved French ones for sale.

Clive

30 minutes ago, KIRKY said:

Should we still carry Breathalisers when in France??

Tony

No. It has now become a British rip off.

Just a thought, if anyone is successful in completing the English version of the application, could they post an edited version of it on here for us all to use.

it might make more sense than the official one !

Is there something specific which isn't quite clear if you're filling it in in English? Details such as the trade name, Euro standard and CO2 aren't mandatory fields in the foreign vehicle application form. The only one I wasn't certain of was "serial number", so because I had read somewhere that Le numéro VIN correspond au numéro de série du véhicule I inserted the VIN.

14 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Is there something specific which isn't quite clear if you're filling it in in English? Details such as the trade name, Euro standard and CO2 aren't mandatory fields in the foreign vehicle application form. The only one I wasn't certain of was "serial number", so because I had read somewhere that Le numéro VIN correspond au numéro de série du véhicule I inserted the VIN.

Were you successful ?

Well, they haven't sent it back yet. ;) 

You're not using the right site. The page I think you're using is a commercial business. Start here: https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/demande

It will be 4.80€ there. :) That came through as £4.11 on my bank statement.

Edited by Dragon
Minor edit

Well it's a month since I sent mine off and it still hasn't arrived. Anybody else experiencing similar delays, or has mine gone adrift?

I applied for mine (via Engish website) on 20/02/17.

Just received the following email

Nous vous prions de bien vouloir trouver en pièce jointe votre facture relative à votre commande de certificat de qualité de l’air concernant le véhicule immatriculé XXXX XXX.

Votre certificat sera expédié prochainement par courrier à l’adresse où le véhicule est enregistré.
Dans l’attente, cette facture vous permet de justifier de votre démarche et du classement de votre véhicule.

Veuillez agréer, Madame, Monsieur, nos salutations distinguées.

Le service de délivrance des certificats de qualité de l’air

Ce message est automatique, veuillez ne pas y répondre. Pour nous contacter, merci d’utiliser l’adresse contact@certificat-air.gouv.fr

My French isn't great, but I'm assuming all is well as a PDF was attached with my sticker, but I could be wrong...

Cheers

Martin

Kevin - Did you get a  email headed  Facture et justificatif : certificat de qualité de l'air  saying

Nous vous prions de bien vouloir trouver en pièce jointe votre facture relative à votre commande de certificat de qualité de l’air concernant le véhicule immatriculé XXXXXX.

Votre certificat sera expédié prochainement par courrier à l’adresse où le véhicule est enregistré.
Dans l’attente, cette facture vous permet de justifier de votre démarche et du classement de votre véhicule.

- basically an invoice which shows the classification of your vehicle with a picture of the vignette allocated (eg a yellow one for Category 2) so you have something to carry in the vehicle until the vignette arrives. Mine came within two days.

Edited by Dragon
Punctuation

Having read all the posts on this emission thing- I am still confused as to me being ok to drive into Arras in May, all other times I will be driving around the Ancre area. The websites I have looked at still confuse me, so could anybody tell IF I need a sticker for either Arras or somme region, thanks  Ian.

my understanding (as a French person) : depending on weather/pollution, you may not be able to drive into some cities. I am in the Somme (countryside) & we had regulations a few weeks ago. This vignette is not expansive, I would advise you to spend the money

kind regards, martine

2 hours ago, berty199 said:

My French isn't great, but I'm assuming all is well as a PDF was attached with my sticker, but I could be wrong...

(My bold)

Hi - the picture isn't the actual sticker. The small print above the picture says:

le coupon ci-dessous peut être utilisé comme justificatif provisoire de classement du véhicule dans l'attente de la réception du Certificat qualité de l'air par courrier.

This means:

"The coupon underneath can be used as temporary proof of the vehicle classification while waiting for the arrival of the Certificat qualité de l'air by post."

As the email says: Votre certificat sera expédié prochainement par courrier à l’adresse où le véhicule est enregistré.

That is, "Your certificate will shortly be sent by post to the address where the vehicle is registered."

[Certificat qualité de l'air = sticker, vignette...]

I hope this isn't seen as patronising.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon
Adding quote from email

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

(My bold)

Hi - the picture isn't the actual sticker. The small print above the picture says:

le coupon ci-dessous peut être utilisé comme justificatif provisoire de classement du véhicule dans l'attente de la réception du Certificat qualité de l'air par courrier.

This means:

"The coupon underneath can be used as temporary proof of the vehicle classification while waiting for the arrival of the Certificat qualité de l'air by post."

As the email says: Votre certificat sera expédié prochainement par courrier à l’adresse où le véhicule est enregistré.

That is, "Your certificate will shortly be sent by post to the address where the vehicle is registered."

[Certificat qualité de l'air = sticker, vignette...]

I hope this isn't seen as patronising.

Gwyn

Hi Gwyn

Many thanks for the confirmation - it's much appreciated!

Regards

Martin

5 hours ago, Dragon said:

Kevin - Did you get a  email headed  Facture et justificatif : certificat de qualité de l'air  saying

Nous vous prions de bien vouloir trouver en pièce jointe votre facture relative à votre commande de certificat de qualité de l’air concernant le véhicule immatriculé XXXXXX.

- basically an invoice which shows the classification of your vehicle with a picture of the vignette allocated (eg a yellow one for Category 2) so you have something to carry in the vehicle until the vignette arrives. Mine came within two days.

No, just a confirmation e-mail with a tracking number. Checked this via the tracking number again tonight and all it says is that they're still working on it.

I stand corrected. 1 minute after I posted this, the temporary certificate arrived in my 'inbox'.

Edited by IRC Kevin

So basically if a UK driver is going to France, then it seems a sensible precaution to apply in advance for the vignette.

That's because whilst as of now, it only applies to certain French cities and locations, it seems this restriction can be triggered by the air pollution at any place or time when it reaches "Critical" levels.

So, a place you may want to visit in a couple of months time may have introduced restrictions by then,OR the air quality at the time you visit triggers it automatically.

One other action that the French seem to have introduced is reducing the speed limit on affected motorways. Whilst congestion similar to the M25 or London is rare, there are places where it may be introduced and may therefore increase journey times between A and B. That in turn may impact on getting to hotels or ferries etc on time.

It certainly seems more likely to be applied than the breathalyser fiasco.