Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French cities vehicle emissions charges

KevinBattle

mva,

In those areas, are the stickers visibly in use by most if not all drivers?  I confess I was surprised to see so few in the Vendee.  

Clive

Clive, I can't tell, I don't live in these cities ! (am in the countryside in Eastern Somme)

1 hour ago, clive_hughes said:

mva,

In those areas, are the stickers visibly in use by most if not all drivers?  I confess I was surprised to see so few in the Vendee.  

Clive

Widespread in Paris, less so in the outer suburbs, where many people like me avoid driving into the capital so do not require the stickers for the moment, though I do in fact have one for each car (a 1 and a 3) just in case.

Cheers Martin B

cant see many of the locals in our village having them, internet access is very poor  doubt if there are more than 10 users going by my connections available, also many, probably 60% are over 60 and only travel the 4 mile round trip to the nearest town for shopping once a week. being a farming village, well most are, tractors, hi loaders and combines probably out number cars, with a liberal sprinkle of pushbikes.

we are 50kms from Arras so I had heard they might be one of the possible restricted areas, and travelling there on Bastile day probably only saw 50 cars each way.

When we were in a France in May, the sticker never made it to the windscreen, stayed with all the other car documents in the car. We stayed just outside Orange and I never saw a single car, with a sticker.  Other half thought I was a sado in car parks, checking windscreens.

Mandy

I realise that this isn`t widespread yet, but I had a look at the link for ordering a Crit Air sticker, but my 1989 petrol campervan is too old and doesn`t fall into any of the categories. Does this mean that I can still take the camper to France as it`ll be exempt from this system, or does it mean that at some point it will not be allowed entry into the country ?

Edited by slick63

Good questions, Slick, and I am also interested in the answers, which will apply equally to my 1992 petrol Range Rover. 

Also if we do not visit the large cities do you still need a sticker?

Tony

I reckon its probably easiest if in doubt to check via any motoring organisation that you are a member of, My impression though is that the restriction will be applied mainly to urban areas. if so you will probably be OK but might need to bus or cycle in from the suburbs.

Keith

Although I`m not a member of a motoring organisation I thought I`d use Keiths advice, so a google came up with this lot....

You will need to know your vehicle’s European Emissions Standard - find out your car's European Emissions Standard using our helpful table. If your car doesn't meet any emissions standard, you can't apply for a vignette and you will not be permitted to drive when restrictions are in force.

British drivers heading to Paris now have to display an anti-pollution sticker in their vehicle – with petrol cars, vans and motorhomes first-registered before 1997 and diesels prior to 2001 banned from the French capital’s streets between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday.

There are also complete bans in Paris from 0800 – 2000hrs on weekdays for the following

•             Cars registered prior to 1997

•             Motorbikes & Scooters registered prior to June 1st 2000

•             Lorries, trucks and buses registered prior to 2001

Diesel cars registered before 1997 are too old to qualify for a sticker (as are pre-1997 vans and pre-1999 motorbikes) and are banned from Paris streets from 8.00-20.00 Monday-Friday.

It would seem that old vehicles cannot get a sticker, and as such cannot enter Paris between the hours given. Lyons and Grenoble haven`t set the hours but are using the same rule if air pollution reaches a high level there.

The worry is that the rules may spread across other French towns and cities. If for instance Cherbourg adopts the rules, my ferry might arrive at 1300 hours on a Monday. Will I be able to disembark, and have to risk the wrath of the Gendarmes because I do not qualify for a sticker ?

4 hours ago, slick63 said:

I realise that this isn`t widespread yet, but I had a look at the link for ordering a Crit Air sticker, but my 1989 petrol campervan is too old and doesn`t fall into any of the categories. Does this mean that I can still take the camper to France as it`ll be exempt from this system, or does it mean that at some point it will not be allowed entry into the country ?

I am concerned as well as I have a 1996 diesel camper van which I cannot get stickers for as it is pre 1997 but it is Euro 2 emissions standard 

CO: 1.0g/km

HC + NOx: 0.7g/km

PM: 0.08g/km

but that obviously does not count with the French, whereas your 1989 camper van was made before any Euro standards were introduced as Euro 1 standards were introduced in 1992. I am going to take my 1996 van to France and avoid cities as I drive down to Northern Spain and take a chance.

That is another question does Spain have any of these air pollution restrictions. Does anybody know?

Happy holidays, Geoff!  Hope you get to Spain and back without incident or aggravation.

My Range Rover was registered in May 1992, a couple of months before the introduction of Euro 1.  I would be quite happy to pay for and submit the results of an actual emissions test, if only the French would make provision for it. 

On 22/07/2017 at 11:34, KIRKY said:

Also if we do not visit the large cities do you still need a sticker?

Tony

As far as I can make out, the sticker is now obligatory although most people have never heard of it and don't have one. But as yet no one has yet quie decided what it is for!

I think the general idea is that in times of high pollution they can tell people with a certain colour sticker that it is either OK to drive in whichever area or not to do so.

A lot of places have asked to join the scheme, but as yet I haven't seen any list of these places, or where it is already in operation; if it is. A bit of a shambles really.

I just sent a message to the French consulate in London : there is no information on their site, and this would be very useful !

Perhaps you can send them a message too

If they answer, I'll tell you

kind regards from the Somme, martine

Edited by mva
1 word added

On 23/07/2017 at 13:03, mva said:

I just sent a message to the French consulate in London : there is no information on their site, and this would be very useful !

Perhaps you can send them a message too

If they answer, I'll tell you

kind regards from the Somme, martine

hello again, I just received an answer from the French consulate on London.

One of the links (I think the most useful) they give (FAQ in Englsih) :

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/foire-aux-questions

and there is a contact form if your questions don't have an answer there

kind regards martine