Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Quiz

Khaki

Kitchener's Bugle,

The problem now is that I am running out of unusual ones to post on here. Still, I may have a couple more yet.

Jef,

Grand to hear from you. I had never thought of that being an Order of Leopold ribbon, but you could easily be right. I am having a lot of fun with this thread, and learning at the same time.

Warmest regards,

Mike

Kitchener's Bugle,

The problem now is that I am running out of unusual ones to post on here. Still, I may have a couple more yet.

Jef,

Grand to hear from you. I had never thought of that being an Order of Leopold ribbon, but you could easily be right. I am having a lot of fun with this thread, and learning at the same time.

Warmest regards,

Mike

I attached a pic of a medal in my collection and a Leopold Order ribbon.

I always have been wondering why they put originally such a raggy ribbon to that medal?

Still have a spare medal without a ribbon, you brought me upon an idea :whistle: Thank you, Mike

kind regards,

Jef

post-64837-0-59035900-1457969754_thumb.j

Give this one a try chaps?...........................

post-91995-0-02211600-1457980414_thumb.j

KB

I will try:-

Bavarian Silver Military Merit Medal, 'Der Tapferkeit' King Maxmillian Joseph 1st ( Maximillian Joseph Koenig von Baiern) this version issued 1878.

John

That one got me going! - Military Medal of Merit - Bavaria. To be completely honest, I have never seen one before and had to dig around to find it.

Regards,

Mike

Ooops! - Sorry John! - you beat me fair and square. I should have hit refresh before posting.

Regards,

Mike

Spot on............

This example is of the version created in 1878 and awarded a very few times for the Expedition to China of 1900-1901 (Boxer War) and 2,839 times during World War I.

Give this one ago.......................... :blink:

post-91995-0-11732400-1457985223_thumb.j

Siamese interallied victory medal

Think you've got it there Croonaert

Await KB confirmation

John

Spot on!. The ribbon would have made it easy......

I doubt that there are many people who could boast having an original in their collection!.

Any ideas?

post-91995-0-89469000-1457995706_thumb.j

Silver Medal of Merit - Bulgaria.

These are getting more difficult !!

Regards,

Mike

That's it Mike...........

The Medal was instituted on 25 December 1881 and awarded in three classes, gold (rarely awarded), silver and bronze for service to the Crown or Fatherland, the silver medal being awarded to middle-ranking officials and officers.

This example shows an older King Ferdinand and dates from after the Declaration of the Kingdom in 1908.

The wartime ribbon would have been for a military award during the Balkan Wars of 1912-1913 or World War I.

This Belgian miniature, I found in my inherited grandmothers jewelry box many years ago, why she had it I don't know, 'Souvenir of the campaign 1914-15'. Anyone recognize it?

khaki

post-29707-0-75692400-1458058512_thumb.j

post-29707-0-30909400-1458058536_thumb.j

That's a Tough One.... Definitely Belgian....... King Albert 1....... Not an official release.

There is a gilded/Gold version with 1914 Date on the reverse.

post-91995-0-66875700-1458091165_thumb.j

I have been thinking about these last 2 medals posted by KB & Khaki. Whilst I don't actually know anything about them, they do remind me a little bit of those Opening of the Menin Gate memorial medals. The word "souvenir" on both of your examples seems to be an unusual word to use on them. I wonder if they were made out of battlefield collected salvage and sold to families visiting the graves and battlefields in the 20's?

All purely a guess on my part.

Regards,

Mike

Medaille van de Vrijwilliger Strijder 1914-18 (Belgian voluntary combatant's medal)

I have been thinking about these last 2 medals posted by KB & Khaki. Whilst I don't actually know anything about them, they do remind me a little bit of those Opening of the Menin Gate memorial medals. The word "souvenir" on both of your examples seems to be an unusual word to use on them. I wonder if they were made out of battlefield collected salvage and sold to families visiting the graves and battlefields in the 20's?

Regards,

Mike

That's correct Mike. Those medals were patriotic souvernirs and were sold in many cases for philantropic purposes. It has nothing to do with orders nor medals. I remember, both my grandfathers wore such a medal at the chain of their pocketwatch. This link goes to a catalogue of thousands of souvenir medaillions ( begin WWI till 1923). You find the pics at the end....enjoy ..... http://www.numisbel.be/Lefebure.pdf

with ind regards from Flanders,

Jef

here's another, a bit harder this time,

khaki

As Croonaert says, its the Belgian Volunteers Medal - there were 2 versions - I think one Flemish and the other French. I think the picture is the French version with the "Volluntariis" spelling whilst the Flemish version had it as "Vollontariis"

I have both versions in the collection (smug grin).

Warmest regards,

Mike

Regards,

Mike

That's correct Mike. Those medals were patriotic souvernirs and were sold in many cases for philantropic purposes. It has nothing to do with orders nor medals. I remember, both my grandfathers wore such a medal at the chain of their pocketwatch. This link goes to a catalogue of thousands of souvenir medaillions ( begin WWI till 1923). You find the pics at the end....enjoy ..... http://www.numisbel.be/Lefebure.pdf

Jef

Many thanks Jef - it was only an educated guess on my part. No direct military connection, but still very interesting little objects. It touches a subject that interests me, namely "When is a medal not a medal?".

The bronze Belgian carte du feu plaques for example - medals, or not medals? Now that would make an interesting thread in its own right!! On the British side we have wound stripes, trade badges, Imperial Service Badges, Memorial Plaques etc - medals or not? On reflection, it would have saved me a lot of money if I had decided that they weren't :-)

Greetings from Derbyshire - right in the middle of England,

Mike

Regards,

Mike

Jef

Many thanks Jef - it was only an educated guess on my part. No direct military connection, but still very interesting little objects. It touches a subject that interests me, namely "When is a medal not a medal?".

The bronze Belgian carte du feu plaques for example - medals, or not medals? Now that would make an interesting thread in its own right!! On the British side we have wound stripes, trade badges, Imperial Service Badges, Memorial Plaques etc - medals or not? On reflection, it would have saved me a lot of money if I had decided that they weren't :-)

Greetings from Derbyshire - right in the middle of England,

Mike

When is a medal not a medal?......A very difficult question, Mike. There is a large difference between a medal given as a reward by the government ; the offical medal, and the non-official medal which is given by an association etc. These two items are all pieces in metal, but the idea behind it changes.

I have friends in Belgium who don't want to collect non-official medals, others collect all kinds of medals . Everyone decides for himself what he want to do. I collect both, but I don't put my non-officials in the same cabinet as the official medals, a matter of respect. This doesn't mean non officials are not beautiful..., some of them are really pieces of art. But there is a gap... Moreover, from the non officials are no decent catalogues, sometimes it is very difficult to ID these medals.

With kind regards,

Jef

Hi Jef,

Completely agree, big difference between official and unofficial. The connection for me is that they are all part of the history, all part of the story. Again, just as you say, we all make our own minds up, or change our minds as we go along!

I have been collecting for 40 years (on and off as funds dictate), but until joining the forum a few years back it hasd been a strictly solo pursuit. Meeting other collectors on here has been a great experience for me, and I am particularly enjoying this "unusual" thread. Despite all the time I have been involved in the hobby there is still so much to learn. I am hoping to post a few more of my oddments this weekend to keep it going.

Warmest regards,

Mike