Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Quiz

Khaki

Can I post a picture of a medal that I don't know answer to ?

Sure, post whatever you wish,

a little bit of information reference the medal, it is of course 'the Gold Star Mother's medal' which was given to the mothers and widows of US servicemen who died in the Great War and who made a pilgrimage to France to visit the grave of the fallen. I believe that there were about three of these pilgrimages made and about 6500 ladies made the trip. their expenses were paid for by the US Government.

khaki

Hi Khaki

Out of interest, what is the number on the reverse? You never know we might trace it although there aren't any lists.

Regards Barry

Sorry, because of the fragility of the ribbon I just lifted the top off the display box, took the photo without disturbing anything, and put it back where it is stored. It never occurred to me that there was a number on the reverse. It has remained in the box that I purchased it in. I will have to think of a way to look at the reverse without risking the ribbon.

Good thought though.

khaki

Congratulations John and others who correctly identified the medal, sorry Barry I missed your question, no sadly I don't have the name bar its must have been separated from the medal as the ribbon disintegrated years ago.

khaki

Hi Khaki

What is the number on the reverse of the medal? Sorry missed your post as well. If it is 2370 then I'll tell you whose it was.

Regards Barry

On the reverse at the top should have BBB Co.. The Bailey Banks and Biddle Co of Philadelphia

Edited by The Inspector

New Jersey State service medal.

Medal with disintegrating ribbon, try not to read the engraving while guessing!

khaki

attachicon.gif0216160941.jpg

Dear Khaki,

Have no idea about the existance of the medal you are showing. Thought this was the gold star mother medal:see pics under

Gold star mother relatives gave the medal to my friend. We live close to the only WWI US cemetary in Belgium.

If I PM my mailadres, would you mind to send me a pic in large resolution?

With kind regards from Flanders,

Jef

post-64837-0-89753500-1455691809_thumb.j

post-64837-0-57033300-1455691837_thumb.j

Hi Jef

There were two medals issued, yours without a name bar at the top and one with see "usmilitariaforum.com" "Medals for Gold Star Pilgrimage to the Battlefields of the World War".

Regards Barry

Thank you Barry. I registrated immedeately on USmilitary forum. The medal section looks very interesting.

kind regards,

jef

I took this 8 years ago at RHQ - it was was a ww1 group and a special LSGC - I have no idea what its for

post-3871-0-12184400-1455702671_thumb.jp

I think Barry you are on the right track, except that the medal is an unofficial medal manufactured as a souvenir, note the ribbon ring through the drilled hole. No official British medal that I know of is without a correct suspension. Even if the medal had been privately altered to replace a lost suspender there is inconsistencies in design with the 1935 Jubilee.

regards

khaki

Hi

Could it be a King Geo V and Queen Mary Natal Coronation Medal, it's the latin bit that doesn't fit with most GeoV

Regards Barry

I agree Khaki, not official...It's not a Natal one either......????

If I PM my mailadres, would you mind to send me a pic in large resolution?

With kind regards from Flanders,

Jef

Sent as requested today.

khaki

No prizes for the following, not really GW except that these children endured a lot and may have lost family members and still achieved scholarly standards regardless.post-29707-0-46943900-1455710458_thumb.j

post-29707-0-16914700-1455710541_thumb.j

post-29707-0-10812100-1455710592_thumb.j

post-29707-0-48698800-1455710666_thumb.j

Thanks. I will look for him on the 1935 medal roll on the off chance

Sent as requested today.

khaki

Thank You, Khaki

#69.......

Those are London School Board Medals and London County Council School's - awarded to individual pupils for exceptional/punctual attendance etc.

Now how about this gem?

post-91995-0-61686300-1455752194_thumb.j

Not with a ring suspender. Looks like an Imperial Service Medal but the black (?) ribbon has me thinking..

Not with a ring suspender. Looks like an Imperial Service Medal but the black (?) ribbon has me thinking..

I would also say Imperial Service Medal only it is a Black and White photo to fool us...... LOL