Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Quiz

Khaki

Hi

I bet it's blue really with two red stripes, a bit higher up please!

Barry

Coinage profile 1920-1931.

Edited by The Inspector

Just to join the gang, my money is on Imperial Service Medal too, although a Royal Fleet Reserve LSGC might also fit the bill.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike and all

Don't you think the width of the central blue band would be too narrow not to show the red stripes at each side, The white edges could be folded in.

Regards Barry

Hi

OR could it be the Edward Medal (Mines), 1st Class..silver, George V 2nd type, ribbon dark blue edged with yellow?

Barry

It is indeed the Edward Medal.

Very rare, this being awarded to a Policeman in 1917 for the White Lund Munitions explosion.

See this link for further details:-

http://www.thebay.co.uk/news/world-war-one-remembered/listen-here-rare-ww1-medal-presented-to-lancaster-city-museum/

Hi Mike and all

Don't you think the width of the central blue band would be too narrow not to show the red stripes at each side, The white edges could be folded in.

Regards Barry

You could well be right Barry - my attention is fixed on the suspension. Not unique, but unusual. The picture also made me think it was smaller than usual diameter, but that could just be the way the shot was taken.

Regards,

Mike

Special Constabulary Long Service Medal George V :thumbsup:

This medal also came with a BAR "The Great War 1914-18"

Try this one............

post-91995-0-99962400-1455846402_thumb.j

Hi

Post 84 is a medal first introduced in 1836. This one is 36mm diam. and had the ring suspension fitted in 1896 for wear with the ribbon. Made in gold, silver and bronze.

The reverse has a ?????h.

Regards Barry

It is indeed the Edward Medal.

Very rare, this being awarded to a Policeman in 1917 for the White Lund Munitions explosion.

See this link for further details:-

http://www.thebay.co.uk/news/world-war-one-remembered/listen-here-rare-ww1-medal-presented-to-lancaster-city-museum/

Hi

Just to set the record straight.

It is the Edward Medal(Industry) , silver and bronze, as the newspaper said only 25 silver ones issued, 163 bronze.. As this was issued in 1917 it will have the 2nd type of reverse with a standing female figure with a laurel branch and a factory skyline background.

Regards Barry

Hi Knotty

I'll leave it up to Kitchener's Bugle to fill in the missing letters

Regards Barry

POST 84

Here's another clue, the reverse has a ??e??h

Barry

No problem Barry with you saying it........... :thumbsup:

It is the Lloyds Medal in Bronze.......... what fascinates me about this medal is how closely the Ribbon Matches the France & Germany Star.

Hi

Ok...it has an ornate WREATH on the reverse. The only difference in the Lloyds and France & Gemany Star ribbons is the latter has equal width stripes.

Regards Barry

Try this one then......

Its not a ribbon theme...honest :blink:

post-91995-0-67623800-1455981516_thumb.j

Hi

Something to do with China I think? The flag on the medal on the right has the 19 star flag of the Chinese Republican Army. Did the horizontal stripes represent different peoples of the Republic ie. Manchurians, Han Chinese, Mongolians, Tibetans, Muslims? 5 Stripes adopted 10th Jan 1912 until 1928.Red,yellow, blue, white, black. Flag on left Chinese Republic.

Just what the medal is...not sure. Pre 1911 Wuchang uprising?

Regards Barry

Is the stripe between the red and blue a faded yellow?

Edited by The Inspector

You are very Warm Barry... ..... It is a rare medal.

According to Morton & Eden (11-12 Jun 15 auction, lot 55) it is the World War I Service Medal of China.

Spot on:-

Chinese WWI Victory Medal of 1918--The front of this medal shows the three flags that were used by the Republic of China in the 1911 revolution.
The five colored ribbon represents the five different races in China: Red-Han, Yellow-Manchu, Blue-Mongols, White-Hui, and Black-Tibetan.
The reverse seal means “Republic of China, 7th year, November 20th, awarded by Hsu Chang,
President of the Chinese Republic, Hsu Shih Chang elected President of the Chinese Republic, September 4, 1918”.

Some of these medals were awarded to US Marines stationed in China several times from 1905 until WWII as part of the multinational Peking Legation Guard sent to protect American citizens and US trade interests.

Kitchener's Bugle wrote: "Some of these medals were awarded to US Marines stationed in China several times from 1905 until WWII as part of the multinational Peking Legation Guard sent to protect American citizens and US trade interests".

Yes. The one listed in Morton & Eden was apparently presented to Marine Roy E. Summers.

I had a trawl on ebay for the one I posted, seems most likely it's an unofficial coronation or jubilee medal

Hi All

It's amazing what a few pictures of medals can do, I've learnt more history in a week than I ever did at school....thanks.

Coldstreamer, I think you are right.

Regards Barry