Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Handsomest British Great War Badge

Khaki

This is the one badge, from my collection, that I could not be tempted to part with. It was found near Messines, Ypres, during 1977.

Sepoy

post-55476-0-47081600-1450532187_thumb.j

But the Cyclist Corps badge didn't move where as the Gunner's wheel does.

Not a unique look, but I have always thought the proportions were pleasing............

post-100829-0-59507300-1450608296_thumb.

I like this as a simple, no frills, does what it says on the tin, sort of badge.

20th Hussars

20H2.jpg

Speaking of Cavalry Badges...........

19TH-PWO-HUSSARS.jpg

The 19th (Princess of Wales's Own) Hussars The badge on the left is the earlier variant (1898-1902) The badge on the Right is the Later Variant (1902-1909).

The regiment was originally raised in Bengal by the Bengal East India Company in 1857 as the 1st Bengal European Light Cavalry, which explains the Indian Elephant.... the badge is quite simple but instantly recognizable..

Traitor!

:hypocrite:

19TH-PWO-HUSSARS.jpg

The 19th (Princess of Wales's Own) Hussars The badge on the left is the earlier variant (1898-1902) The badge on the Right is the Later Variant (1902-1909).

The regiment was originally raised in Bengal by the Bengal East India Company in 1857 as the 1st Bengal European Light Cavalry, which explains the Indian Elephant.... the badge is quite simple but instantly recognizable..

Great badge for a Light Cavalry regiment!

Sadly, replaced in the period before the war by a still-pleasing, but not-so-pleasing badge:

19th_hussars_cap_badge2.jpg

I agree totally Steven, it lost its almost unique look. but as you say the newer badge was simple in form yet pleasing in a symmetrical design.

You know a thing or three about the Cavalry.... what would be your personal favourite (From any period) ?

Hate to be disloyal (Toby), but I like the 7th Dragoon Guards

7th_dragoon_guards_6.jpg

Not just because it's a very nice badge, but also because it commemorates the great Earl Ligonier

19TH-PWO-HUSSARS.jpg

I would love to see a photo of the right hand elephant in use. As far as I know no such picture exists and the regt wore the Danneborg Cross badges in their caps throughout that period when they were based in Ireland and England prior to WW1.

The single scroll elephant was worn by the regt in South Africa on their slouch hats so those dates are correct.

Thanks Max, yes I have an example of the earlier variant but I have never been able to track down the 1902-09 badge.

I would like to see a photo as well, even a portrait in uniform would be nice. Surely the museum must hold one?

Here is a large Royal Naval Badge which was issued at the end of WW1.

A Bronze Royal Naval Chaplain's Badge (numbered on the reverse 146).

I understand that RN Chaplains were not issued with a uniform and wore civilian dress whilst on board ship. This led to problems of identification by sentries, so these large badges were issued during 1918 to be worn on jacket lapels.

This particular badge was worn by George Edwin Knapp-Fisher who served as a Royal Naval Chaplain on board HMS Chatham during operations off East Africa and also the Gallipoli Campaign.

Sepoy

post-55476-0-89593300-1450655291_thumb.j

Sepoy, can you stop posting them Photos saying Sepoy@Great War Forum........... its taking me ages to photoshop all of

the writing out... :whistle:

Thanks Max, yes I have an example of the earlier variant but I have never been able to track down the 1902-09 badge.

I would like to see a photo as well, even a portrait in uniform would be nice. Surely the museum must hold one?

Not to my knowledge and there is none in any pictures of the regt's history in any book I can find. Examples of the badge exist but most are modern copies. There certainly was a badge of that from that period but even in the 1970s these were recorded only in single figures. The design appears not to have been worn by the regt. This may have been due to the fact that the badge was designed for warm weather climate hats (FSH or slouch hat) and the regt was wearing it's side caps with the Danneborg collar badge on from the late 1890's; or from c.1905 with the peaked cap with the slidered Danneborg Cross as it was in UK and Ireland. The fact that there is an error in the scroll because a bracket is missing might also be why the regt never used it.

I suspect the 1904-09 dates from officers' dress regulations and it's probable that it is officers' badges that were known: but that the reality was there was no ORs' badge ever made, needed or wanted.

As an aside the 19H adopted a new elephant badge in 1920 on their return to Egypt for wear on their FSH. I have a photo of it in use in 1920 in Tidworth on the regt's disbandment. This badge is not shown in K&K or Gaylors books but is in 1920's photos. It was in use by C sqn 15/19Hussars into the 1930s and was worn only by that Sqn.

Sepoy, can you stop posting them Photos saying Sepoy@Great War Forum........... its taking me ages to photoshop all of

the writing out... :whistle:

Sorry, Kitchener's Bugle, I was getting fed up of people using my photographs without having the courtesy of displaying any credits (elsewhere on the net). As a special treat, if requested, I am more than happy to email un-marked examples to you. This should save you time working on photoshop and give you more time to wrap all the Christmas presents to me :lol:

It was in use by C sqn 15/19Hussars into the 1930s and was worn only by that Sqn.

When the cavalry regiments were amalgamated the intention was for the two regiments concerned to be represented: the senior by two squadrons, the junior by one. I think they even (in the case of Heavy Cavalry) carried both parent regiments' standards (Light Cavalry had both sets of drum banners). As noted elsewhere, the 15th King's Hussars old boys persuaded the King that the regiment had agreed to revert to simply being the 15th King's Hussars and dropping the 19th bit), which created a bit of a fuss! Is it possible to show a scan of the picture you mention using the elephant? I'd be intrigued (even if it isn't GW, of course).

Sorry, Kitchener's Bugle, I was getting fed up of people using my photographs without having the courtesy of displaying any credits (elsewhere on the net). As a special treat, if requested, I am more than happy to email un-marked examples to you. This should save you time working on photoshop and give you more time to wrap all the Christmas presents to me :lol:

I fully understand!.

I have not been Photoshoping by the way - only Joking!!!

You have some fine examples in your collection which are a pleasure to see!.

KB

I must be going mad: I have just seen a picture of two what I thought were ELEPHANTS and I see the right hand one is called a VARIANT.

hat, coat .............

When the cavalry regiments were amalgamated the intention was for the two regiments concerned to be represented: the senior by two squadrons, the junior by one. I think they even (in the case of Heavy Cavalry) carried both parent regiments' standards (Light Cavalry had both sets of drum banners). As noted elsewhere, the 15th King's Hussars old boys persuaded the King that the regiment had agreed to revert to simply being the 15th King's Hussars and dropping the 19th bit), which created a bit of a fuss! Is it possible to show a scan of the picture you mention using the elephant? I'd be intrigued (even if it isn't GW, of course).

There are several of C Sqn in the late 20's with the elephant FSH in 'the 15/19th kings Hussars A Pictoral History' by Ralph Thomson 1989,

Ta. I'll check it out.