Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Handsomest British Great War Badge

Khaki

This thread is on fire!

Pity I have to go out bell ringing ............. the method is seasonal, St Nicholas, followed by a slap-up pub lunch. Steak and Ale Pudding with a pint [or two] of Bombardier for me.

Keep them coming please!

• Admin

I have a soft spot for the Gloucestershire Regiment badge

Michelle

Handsomest - 21st Lancers. My favourite - the Berkshire Yeomanry, which shows the Uffington White Horse (which, since the infamous Heatho-Walkerian local government reforms, is no longer in Berkshire).

post-108430-0-41541300-1449919378_thumb.

post-108430-0-09227300-1449919389_thumb.

Simple design yet a handsome badge

18th (County of London) battalion London Irish Rifles

m-U3vk75V940QXFr5a8R2eA.jpg

Royal Sussex Regiment officers' service dress badge. Three dimensional silver Rousillon Plume with an enamelled Garter Star in the centre.

Well ...

Badge.jpg

I have no regimental preference based on family or national association, but in MY opinion the badge that is the most artistically designed and balanced, is the Royal Artillery and its variants, there are many other striking badges including the Machine Gun Corps, the Guards MG 1916, 17/21st Lancers, but the basic RA cap badge with Kings Crown is to me the perfect design.

What's your opinion? (keep it seemly please)

khaki

Yes I'm with you on that one, it is one of my favourite designs, I have a few variations, I just think it's simple and pleasing.

Although......grenades, I do love grenades and my favourite is the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Least favourite? eek going to have to go with Black Watch, again I have a couple, but it's so clunky ^_^

Alli

Not GW at all, but the worst design ever must surely have been the King's Own Royal Border Regt (the amalgamation of the King's Own and the Borders), in which two very nice badges were combined to make an utterly ghastly one.

Royal Sussex Regiment officers' service dress badge. Three dimensional silver Rousillon Plume with an enamelled Garter Star in the centre.

Seconded.

Not GW at all, but the worst design ever must surely have been the King's Own Royal Border Regt (the amalgamation of the King's Own and the Borders), in which two very nice badges were combined to make an utterly ghastly one.

Very similar to the WRAC cap badge.

Very similar to the WRAC cap badge.

Without the lumpy bits

WRAC and KORBR animals: one is rampant, the other is passant guardant.

Hi,

Not strictly a cap badge but has lots of emotion for me.

Also worth noting that when it was moved from the shoulder to the collar it was never in pairs which must be very unusual in collar badge terms.

John

post-27843-0-68513900-1449940266_thumb.j

Artist's Rifles for me, possibly because it's unlike any other badge I know of:

post-9980-0-39919300-1449941047_thumb.jp

From Montgomery's 'Memoirs' - he is writing of 1908:

" ... I put my name down for the Royal Warwickshire Regiment ... I have often been asked why I chose this Regiment. The first reason was that it had an attractive cap badge which I admired ... "

post-108430-0-78107300-1449957642_thumb.

The Gordon's

gordon_highlanders_badge1.JPGhd-11.jpg

From Montgomery's 'Memoirs' - he is writing of 1908:

" ... I put my name down for the Royal Warwickshire Regiment ... I have often been asked why I chose this Regiment. The first reason was that it had an attractive cap badge which I admired ... "

That's code for "I wanted to join the Indian Army but they turned me down".

Badges were never something I went out purposely to collect, I gained a few which came with other bits and pieces but now realize that I Quite like a badge and although I don't go out of my way to find them if they come up at a reasonable price I will have them. Probably have in the region of 150 including sweetheart badges, cap badge wise I like the different styles of the various Rifle Brigades. I think they all are of interesting design and like many of the Scottish Regiments badges also.

This is my own personal pride and joy, *sigh* tis a thing of beauty. Guards Machine Gun Battalion badge

11986341_10153089046312543_2366929127830