Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Handsomest British Great War Badge

Khaki

For conceptual simplicity the crown and cipher I always thought was attractive. The Victorians of course couldn't help themselves and had to embellish the design, but the results were often quite stunning. Here is the Derbyshire Yeomanry VR. I have never seen a KC version of this, although some different ones were designed for the 1902 Coronation. The VR version was worn well into the Edwardian period.

The Norfolk Yeomanry had a similar design but rather more ornate (if that is possible). the cap badge was a simpler GvR but still I think rather attractive. As already observed the Yeomanry was rich in badge design and had a leaning towards flowers.

The worst cap badge has to be the Welsh Guards

Are we allowed to go into pouch belt badges? If so the Cameronians is probably one of the most stunning there is and the Indian Army could also make a strong showing.

post-55873-0-76697200-1450117807_thumb.j

I rather like Tigger The Tiger aka Leicestershire Regt.

TT (not Tigger Tiger).

From an aesthetic point of view I find that the large Scottish badges are fine one at a time or grouped with each other, but they look ill at ease, out of place, exhibited alongside t'others. They seem to be trying too hard.

PS I know WHY they are large but that does not gladden the eye out of headdress context.

Standing by for bucket of porridge being sloshed in my direction.

I rather like Tigger The Tiger aka Leicestershire Regt.

TT (not Tigger Tiger).

Yeah me too, got a growing little collection of those as well.

From an aesthetic point of view I find that the large Scottish badges are fine one at a time or grouped with each other, but they look ill at ease, out of place, exhibited alongside t'others. They seem to be trying too hard.

PS I know WHY they are large but that does not gladden the eye out of headdress context.

Standing by for bucket of porridge being sloshed in my direction.

Not at all. I agree with that sentiment.

So may i chuck the most popular food in England over you instead? Close your eyes, the curry may sting!

I am partial the the officer's cap badge of The Seaforth Highlanders.......Stag's Head, Prince Leopold cypher, Ducal coronet, scroll with motto.

The four parts were worn on the glengarry. Only the scroll and Stag's head were usually included on the feather bonnet.

Seaforth_zpsymnvcmv1.jpg

Very, very nice John - I had no idea that those 2 even existed. Whilst decidedly not a real badge collector, I do have several and take a bit of an interest in them. I am currently turning decidedly green!

Mike

4th Notts and Derby VB

Ooh - for me that's a winner. It's so lovely, and really quite simple.

I thought this thread was about the "Handsomest British Great War Badge" :whistle:

It has developed with some very nice Victorian and Edwardian Badges :thumbsup:

Half these badges are hardly Great War badges! This thread more like a badgefestlove. Keep to actual cap badges? As worn 14/18?

TT

As we all know, sometimes threads evolve, no less than regiments & their badges evolve. I did initiate this thread as Handsomest GW badges, but the subject is broader than I thought and as helmet plates were ending their days by 1914 in full dress they were still around, are we to exclude images of QSA & KSA medals as well ?

khaki

Here are some of those "clunky" Scottish badges again.............even though these are not clunky at all and are quite perfectly formed in my opinion.

royal_scots_greys_cap_badge.JPG

capbadge_zps5f971161.jpg122aaf44850ce0fa84fe743b9ddf7961.jpg

This is my favourite WW1 Civilian services cap badge belonging to a Special Constable of the Birmingham City Police. It bears the collar badge number BW122.

Sepoy

post-55476-0-33198300-1450312873_thumb.j

Here are some of those "clunky" Scottish badges again.............even though these are not clunky at all and are quite perfectly formed in my opinion.

royal_scots_greys_cap_badge.JPG

capbadge_zps5f971161.jpg122aaf44850ce0fa84fe743b9ddf7961.jpg

Very nice,

The Royal Scots Greys is indeed a very handsome badge, and I have been meaning to buy one for some time, trouble they don't seem very common and are often quite expensive,

khaki