Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Handsomest British Great War Badge

Khaki

I have no regimental preference based on family or national association, but in MY opinion the badge that is the most artistically designed and balanced, is the Royal Artillery and its variants, there are many other striking badges including the Machine Gun Corps, the Guards MG 1916, 17/21st Lancers, but the basic RA cap badge with Kings Crown is to me the perfect design.

What's your opinion? (keep it seemly please)

khaki

I have no regimental preference based on family or national association, but in MY opinion the badge that is the most artistically designed and balanced, is the Royal Artillery and its variants, there are many other striking badges including the Machine Gun Corps, the Guards MG 1916, 17/21st Lancers, but the basic RA cap badge with Kings Crown is to me the perfect design.

What's your opinion? (keep it seemly please)

khaki

Without a doubt the City of London Yeomanry.

MG

17th Lancers have a motto,The Coldstremers a cap star. Not all capbadges are the same ;)

A lot of the Yeomanry badges are sights to behold. Favourite for me personally Breckonshire regiment but artistically the Northen Cyclist Battalion.

I hate to say it, but for me the South Wales Borderers, with wreath of immortelles, is more like jewellery than a badge. The all gilding metal 1916 version retains this quality.

SWB for me.

The competition for ugliest is more difficult.

Smallest and largest are easy.

rarest and most expensive .............. GMGR must be near the top of that list? [Yes, I do have an authenticated example, but don't tell Mrs G please]

My favourite badges include the 25th (Service) Battalion, Royal Fusiliers (Frontiersmen) and the Liverpool Pals hall-marked silver cap badge.

Sepoy

NB It is a shame that the condition of the Frontiersmen badge is not that great.

post-55476-0-01790300-1449878642_thumb.j

post-55476-0-47122800-1449878725_thumb.j

I tend to favor the Scottish and Scottish related badges myself such as the Tyneside Scottish.

Tyneside%20Scottish%20CB.jpg

Not specifically Great War, but I'd say there's not a finer badge than the officers' silver version of the Gordon Highlanders' badge. Beautiful.

Great pictures thank you ............. as I said, like jewels, the quality is superb. And to hold one is to hold history in your hand, however distantly and briefly.

Great pictures thank you ............. as I said, like jewels, the quality is superb. And to hold one is to hold history in your hand, however distantly and briefly.

Just for you Grumpy...

post-55873-0-01709200-1449916667_thumb.j