Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Handsomest British Great War Badge

Khaki

This is my own personal pride and joy, *sigh* tis a thing of beauty. Guards Machine Gun Battalion badge

11986341_10153089046312543_2366929127830

Have to say that is a very nice badge.

8th Irish Btn, Liverpool Kings.

d20a2b5c581840c8dabb41db8b8b8ca5.jpg

Liverpool Scottish. (10th Btn).

$_1.JPGm0r3f2AXu4ecYOAX0fRMJAA.jpg377e6f2cdebd7239617e5a84eda29d51.jpg

Yes, absolutely gorgeous Martin, would fit in beautifully with my fusilier collection ;)

Alli

Thanks, LF. I was going to vote for the 10th King's (though the later Cameron version is less pleasing).

This is my own display of Scottish related, mounted badges. - on Tartan of course!

post-91995-0-61995800-1450030796_thumb.j

My favourite badges include the 25th (Service) Battalion, Royal Fusiliers (Frontiersmen) and the Liverpool Pals hall-marked silver cap badge.

Sepoy

NB It is a shame that the condition of the Frontiersmen badge is not that great.

Despite what can be found in K&K and Gaylor's book, the badge is not the 25th Bn but a post war Legion of Frontiersman society badge.

3rd (City of London) Battalion The London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)

A wonderful officers hemlet plate, but it's actually the 3rd City of London Rifle Volunteers 1902-08. After 1908 they were the 7th City of London Regiment.

This is my own display of Scottish related, mounted badges. - on Tartan of course!

Excellent Display - which regiment is middle row 1 up - with the star in the middle ?

Looks to me to be Cameronian Rifles

khaki

Yup, looks like that to me too - Scottish Rifles (Cameronians). I know it shouldn't, but the star always reminds me of Newcastle Brown. My own choice for favourite badge? I think I would have to go with Lancashire Fusiliers. No particular reason, just that it seems to have everything that it needs in pleasing proportions.

Yes it is the Cameronians the Scottish Rifles. :thumbsup:

p-4992-fgd-076.jpg

Yup, looks like that to me too - Scottish Rifles (Cameronians). I know it shouldn't, but the star always reminds me of Newcastle Brown. My own choice for favourite badge? I think I would have to go with Lancashire Fusiliers. No particular reason, just that it seems to have everything that it needs in pleasing proportions.

Lancashire Fusiliers? quite right! ;)

This is a photo of a display at the little museum at the back of Notre Dame De Lorrette - Vimy area.

back in 2008.

post-103138-0-15937600-1450087849_thumb.

I wasn't going to comment in this thread - beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all, and regimental loyalties tend to sway artistic discretion - but I confess that I am very taken by that representation of the Uffington White Horse - Berks Yeomanry was it ?

I confess that I am very taken by that representation of the Uffington White Horse - Berks Yeomanry was it ?

Yes indeed. The regiment of Frederick Potts VC.

post-108430-0-12696900-1450108315_thumb.

regimental loyalties tend to sway artistic discretion

Well so far no one has said they like the look of one over another because "my grandad was in them".

I find many of the Scottish badges too samey samey.

With no research interest in any English regiments I still find several badges much more unique and elegant.

Newcastle Brown, Designed by a Colonel Porter, DSO & bar, of the North Staffordshire Regiment in about 1927? always something interesting to learn.

khaki

Well so far no one has said they like the look of one over another because "my grandad was in them".

I find many of the Scottish badges too samey samey.

With no research interest in any English regiments I still find several badges much more unique and elegant.

Yeah I agree, my Grandfathers regiment, well the one he was with the longest was the Black Watch, I have a couple of nice Black Watch badges and a few other Scottish regiments but I find them a bit clunky and samey.

I have a few fusiliers and a Grenadier Guard in the family but that's not why I prefer the grenades. They are er pretty :blush:

Without a doubt the City of London Yeomanry.

MG

+1. Gets my vote.

COLY.jpg

A second bite, if I may be allowed. I always like the Guards Officer Cadet Battalion badge too.

For conceptual simplicity the crown and cipher I always thought was attractive. The Victorians of course couldn't help themselves and had to embellish the design, but the results were often quite stunning. Here is the Derbyshire Yeomanry VR. I have never seen a KC version of this, although some different ones were designed for the 1902 Coronation. The VR version was worn well into the Edwardian period.

The Norfolk Yeomanry had a similar design but rather more ornate (if that is possible). the cap badge was a simpler GvR but still I think rather attractive. As already observed the Yeomanry was rich in badge design and had a leaning towards flowers.

The worst cap badge has to be the Welsh Guards

Are we allowed to go into pouch belt badges? If so the Cameronians is probably one of the most stunning there is and the Indian Army could also make a strong showing.