Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Handsomest British Great War Badge

Khaki

Completely subjective of course, but I would refer to the two badges on my avatar:

My grandfather and his younger brother were commissioned into the KLR.. G'father then transferred to the MGC (and won one of the early MGC MCs at the Somme) . Younger brother was KIA at High Wood but then youngest brother was commissioned straight into the MGC. Both g'father and youngest Gt uncle were wounded in March 1918 !

I'm in the middle of writing about both units - as I said, hardly objective !!!

Great thread ! - we all have favourites from different perspectives.

Here's a smashing badge. The Army Cyclist Corps:

I personally think that the Army Cyclist Corps is one of the worst badges from a design point of view. Firstly, if you put two SMLEs behind a bicycle wheel the parts of the rifles within the rim would not become invisible. Secondly, the butts and the fore sights would still be in a straight line.

I personally think that the Army Cyclist Corps is one of the worst badges from a design point of view. Firstly, if you put two SMLEs behind a bicycle wheel the parts of the rifles within the rim would not become invisible. Secondly, the butts and the fore sights would still be in a straight line.

And there are two versions of the Army Cyclist Corps cap badge. (I will get my scanner out tomorrow!)

Sepoy

Whilst waiting for me to dig out my scanner, here is a rare "Cyclist" cap badge. Unfortunately, I only have this excavated example.

Sepoy

post-55476-0-58909500-1451259066_thumb.j

Army Cyclist Corps is very simple and very smart, one of the favourites in my collection. The City of London Cyclists is another nice badge.

Very nice,

The Royal Scots Greys is indeed a very handsome badge, and I have been meaning to buy one for some time, trouble they don't seem very common and are often quite expensive,

khaki

Certainly the Royal Scots Greys is a most striking and lovely badge and I have an officers gilt and silver plate version from a later period which I purchased to restore to a cap that had sadly had its badge removed. Interestingly the RSG have a unique feature on their OSD caps in that they have a black crown piping.

post-91897-0-38154600-1452167544_thumb.j

in MY opinion the badge that is the most artistically designed and balanced, is the Royal Artillery and its variants, but the basic RA cap badge with Kings Crown is to me the perfect design.

What's your opinion? (keep it seemly please)

khaki

A fave for me is the Territorial force version of the RA badge with in this case an officers gilded example still on its original pre 1917/18 forage cap ( the makers ceased business in that year). Sadly the chinstrap has seen better days, but still a very pleasing cap with a very pleasing badge.

post-91897-0-94897700-1452168150_thumb.j

And a close up of the RA badge.

post-91897-0-77543600-1452168276_thumb.j

Thanks Jerry,

Those are very nice caps and badges, I didn't know about the black piping though, thanks for the tip. I am not a true collector of badges, ie., I am not trying to complete a specific range nor do I have the knowledge or reference material, I just buy what I like the look of, so all the small tips are very useful.

Are you intending to restore the dress cap (the strap) ?

thanks khaki

Thanks Jerry,

Those are very nice caps and badges, I didn't know about the black piping though, thanks for the tip. I am not a true collector of badges, ie., I am not trying to complete a specific range nor do I have the knowledge or reference material, I just buy what I like the look of, so all the small tips are very useful.

Are you intending to restore the dress cap (the strap) ?

thanks khaki

Thanks Khaki.

I tend to buy items relating to the Various Welsh regiments but I cannot resist other items especially headgear that take my fancy when I find them. I would like to restore the RA TF cap chinstrap if I can but finding period originals in good condition is not easy and "loose" straps are almost never seen by me. I will keep an eye out for one and will hopefully one day be able to restore the cap.

I also need one for this cap for the 2nd Bn Monmouthshire regiment which dates from shortly before the Great War, but again I assume it will be difficult to do so. With items from this period, sometimes you have to accept them as they are, certainly another cap I have has damage to the fabric around the peak and would probably detract from it if I were to attempt to restore it as it reflects its age and history.

post-91897-0-25571200-1452171617_thumb.j

Interestingly the RSG have a unique feature on their OSD caps in that they have a black crown piping.

In memory, I believe (I might be wrong) of the late Czar, who was Colonel of the Greys at the time of his death.

In memory, I believe (I might be wrong) of the late Czar, who was Colonel of the Greys at the time of his death.

I believe you are correct Steven and thanks for reminding me as to the origins of this feature.

A fave for me is the Territorial force version of the RA badge with in this case an officers gilded example still on its original pre 1917/18 forage cap ( the makers ceased business in that year). Sadly the chinstrap has seen better days, but still a very pleasing cap with a very pleasing badge.

attachicon.gifRA TF forage cap 1 v small.jpg

And a close up of the RA badge.

attachicon.gifRA TF forage cap 3 badge detail vs.jpg

Fantastic caps Jerry, especially the RA, something of a favourite of mine. And if they were mine, apart from a light brush and a squirt of anti moth spray, I don't think I'd do much with them either. Lovely items.

Alli

Fantastic caps Jerry, especially the RA, something of a favourite of mine. And if they were mine, apart from a light brush and a squirt of anti moth spray, I don't think I'd do much with them either. Lovely items.

Alli

Thanks Ali. I have a soft spot for arty caps, having a 6 in total, though the others are from post WWI and therefore not really appropriate for sharing here, that said I did show the RSG cap which is a bit later, however the badge never really changed for them.

RA officers Gilt version on a slightly later cap but the design did not change from before the great war until after WWII.

post-91897-0-78176900-1452292800_thumb.j

Thanks Ali. I have a soft spot for arty caps, having a 6 in total, though the others are from post WWI and therefore not really appropriate for sharing here, that said I did show the RSG cap which is a bit later, however the badge never really changed for them.

RA officers Gilt version on a slightly later cap but the design did not change from before the great war until after WWII.

I don't regard myself as a serious badge collector, usually I just buy them to go with medals. I also don't really "do" officers stuff, but that gilt artillery badge has a certain something about it. It also seems to be a very good example, the condition is (to my eyes) excellent.

Mike

Lovely Jerry,really nice.

I have a bit of a headdress collection, my RA cap is a lot later than yours, still very attractive of course. The RA is my favourite. Along with my Grenadier Guards cap, 60's Para beret, oh and don't get me started on M1 helmets, got a bit of a collection starting there including WW2 and a Vietnam era one, anyway all hugely off topic. The point is there is something very pleasing about the RA caps. And as a badge collector, collecting caps is, to my mind a natural extension of that. As long as space dictates, because they are starting to take over!

Alli

And there are two versions of the Army Cyclist Corps cap badge. (I will get my scanner out tomorrow!)

Sepoy

Sorry it has taken me a while, but here are the 12 and 16 spoke Army Cyclist Corps cap badge variants.

I have also attached another Cyclist badge which I personally like.

Sepoy

post-55476-0-59591100-1452899175_thumb.j

post-55476-0-74917000-1452899184_thumb.j

post-55476-0-03326900-1452899293_thumb.j

This is my own personal pride and joy, *sigh* tis a thing of beauty. Guards Machine Gun Battalion badge

11986341_10153089046312543_2366929127830

Since you posted that Image Alison you have started somewhat of a crisis in me trying to find two biscuit tins with the bulk of my cap badges within!..... not found them yet but I did find my my original Guards Machine Gun Corps badge. This is definitely one of my very best!!!.

post-91995-0-75079300-1453372007_thumb.j

This Guards MGC badge looks like a piece of trench art, with the bullets stuck around it!

In fact, using strips of copper drive band to make the 'knobbly bits' around the outside, this would make a grand subject for a piece of trench art... just a pity it seems nobody thought of it at the time...

Will keep looking...

James

• 6 months later...
7 hours ago, Uncle George said:

I came across this fine badge recently, and thought of this oldish thread. The United Arts Volunteer Rifles: 'The Unshrinkables'.

https://archive.org/stream/recordofunitedar00pott#page/n5/mode/2up

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice!

Since we are doing this again, here is another nomination.......This badge was worn by sergeants of the 1st Battalion The Black Watch (the forty twa):

SANY0220_zps0f6050f2.jpg

......and, even though it has a Victorian Crown, it was still being worn at the beginning of The Great War.  I wonder if this sergeant survived to see his family again; sadly, I suspect not.

1BWSgt42ndbadge1914_zps17d162c3.jpg

• 5 months later...

I came across this badge today, while reading up on John Norton-Griffiths, 'Empire Jack'. What a splendid badge! It is of King Edward's Horse (The King's Overseas Dominions Regiment): Empire Jack raised the 2nd Regiment at his own expense in 1914, apparently.

image.jpg