Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Steam Traction Driver left his name.

Tomo.T

My mistake he was on the reserve, can't prove anything yet, but I am assuming that as he was ex Sherwood Forester (served from 1894-1906) and a "qualified driver", it would have been a "natural" to go with a unit that could use his driving expertise. After all he was 37 when he went back into the army.

John

Indeed the ASC were crying out for experienced drivers. London Omnibus drivers were often recruited as driving instructors, which is why the two main driver training establishments were in the London area.

Tomo

• 10 months later...

Hello Ian and welcome to the Forum.

Thank you for popping up on the thread. As I didn't get a notification of your reply, I will let Tomo know as well.

Hopefully your research will turn up a bit more on Cecil.

Phil

7 hours ago, IanM said:

Just come across this whilst researching my wife's family tree.   Cecil Byron Woolgar  is my wife's Great Grandfather (her mother was a Neary)

Hello Ian,

Very pleased to hear from you. We were aware of the possibility of living relatives, but it has not been possible to make contact. We are hungry for information about Cecil ( or Byron as he preferred to be called.) Finding his name and No. on the footplate of Foremost was a major breakthrough in our research and confirmed our suspicions that the engine had been commandeered for the Great War. The engine has been fully restored to it's prewar livery by Joe Walker and Family of Derby and is now a regular attender at steam rallies during the Summer months.( In Cecil's day of course Foremost would have been drab green. )

We have been unable to discover the Company that Cecil worked in within the A.S.C. Perhaps this is known in the family ? Do his medals still exist ? Are there any photos of him ? Please let us know what information you have.

Regards,

Tomo

• 2 months later...

Cecil B Woolgar was my Grand dad, I am amazed that his engine has been found & restored and would love to know who owns it now & which rallys it goes to. You will find information on his death in a copy of the Newhaven Weekly News on Saturday 23 January 1932.

6 hours ago, rob neary said:

Cecil B Woolgar was my Grand dad, I am amazed that his engine has been found & restored and would love to know who owns it now & which rallys it goes to. You will find information on his death in a copy of the Newhaven Weekly News on Saturday 23 January 1932.

Hello Rob,

Welcome to the Forum, Foremost is owned and rallied by Joe Walker and family of Derby, who have restored the engine from a derelict wreck brought back from France in 2008. I was involved in the paintwork and it was during the close inspection of remains of original livery that your Grandfathers name was discovered stamped into the drivers tool tray on the footplate. (See above) We have been trying to find out more about him and believe that he worked in the family nursery before joining up in 1914? Unfortunately his Military records were lost in the London Blitz so his actual unit details within the ASC remain a mystery. We were hoping there may be more information in the family ? I have looked online but not had any success with a Newhaven Weekly News archive, do you have a link please ?

Regards,

Tomo

Sorry Tomo, no link just a gruby photo copy, but I can tell you from the paper clipping that he was killed driving a Foden steam wagon belonging to Findlater, Mackie and co of Hove & the Inquest was conducted by Dr E F Hoare coroner for East Sussex on Wednesday 20th..

I did not know he had been in the war as my mother never really mentioned much about him, she lost her mother 2 years previously, so my mother & her sister were then orphaned so understandable that she would not want to revisit those memory's 

Not sure if the family have any pictures of him but will ask, also will ask if we have any medals but I assume his estate would have been split up after his death.

Regards Rob.

Rob, That is stunning and quite shocking news and a very sad end for Cecil having survived the War. We have all grown quite fond of him through countless hours of research with little to show for it ! It must have been terrible for the girls and I can only express my sincere sympathy for them and your family. 

I expect you know that Findlater, Mackie and Co. were a large wine and spirit merchant long since taken over by Waitrose Inc. Cecil was obviously putting into practice his hard earned skills as a Steam Driver in their employ. If it is not too painful, what were the circumstances of the accident ?

Kind Regards,

Tomo

Edited by Tomo.T

Hello Rob and thank you for adding to Cecil's story. What a sad end.

Tomo, if you have FMP (my subscription has just lapsed), try the Sussex (Agricultural) Express.

Phil

Tomo, from the inquest evidence Cecils wagon was between South Heighton and Tarring Neville going towards Lewes when another truck ( petrol powered ) carrying coke overtook Cecil, there was some debate as to weather the overtaking vehicle struck part of Cecil's wagon or weather Cecil pulled to the edge off the road to allow more room for the passing truck, whatever happened it appears the rear wheels of Cecils wagon started slipping down a grass embankment thus turning it sideways which overturned it, both Cecil and his mate jumped from the wagon, the drivers mate was un harmed but Cecil was crushed under the wagons cab, and according to the doctor who attended died almost instantly.

I will get in contact with my elder brother as if we have Cecil's medals he is most likely to have them, if yes I will try to get any inscriptions from them.

Regards Rob.

5 hours ago, rob neary said:

Tomo, from the inquest evidence Cecils wagon was between South Heighton and Tarring Neville going towards Lewes when another truck ( petrol powered ) carrying coke overtook Cecil, there was some debate as to weather the overtaking vehicle struck part of Cecil's wagon or weather Cecil pulled to the edge off the road to allow more room for the passing truck, whatever happened it appears the rear wheels of Cecils wagon started slipping down a grass embankment thus turning it sideways which overturned it, both Cecil and his mate jumped from the wagon, the drivers mate was un harmed but Cecil was crushed under the wagons cab, and according to the doctor who attended died almost instantly.

I will get in contact with my elder brother as if we have Cecil's medals he is most likely to have them, if yes I will try to get any inscriptions from them.

Regards Rob.

Rob, thanks for that, A tragic accident by the sound of it and not Cecil's fault.

Steam lorries were becoming decidedly obsolete by this stage and would have been struggling to compete with the newer petrol powered vehicles.

Cecil was awarded two medals, Victory and War. Neither will have any more information than we already have. M1/ 5444 pte. C.Woolgar A.S.C.

Regards,

Tomo