Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Steam Traction Driver left his name.

Tomo.T

This remarkable series of photographs has been languishing in the Miscellaneous File of the IWM First World War Collection. There is no location given, but the obviously posed pictures are in numerical sequence and provide a unique view of the induction and training of would be ASC drivers and fitters during the Great War. There is no doubt these pictures were taken at the same location, the same Sgt. Major Instructor appears in many of them and there is an identical style and theme to the pictures. Phil and I have identified Grove Park as the location. There is more to come.

Tomo.

Edited by Tomo.T

post-115561-0-49782100-1414164699_thumb.

Grove Park, ASC MT, Electricians Shop, Introducing the Magneto .Note the wiring diagram for mobile workshops on the wall. IWM Q 34128.

post-115561-0-52246200-1414165179_thumb.

Grove Park. ASC MT, Tyre shop, repairing inner tubes by vulcanising. IWM Q 34127.

post-115561-0-86733000-1414165809_thumb.

Grove Park. ASC MT, Tyre Shop. A good view of some authentic tread patterns IWM Q 34126

Edited by Tomo.T

Many sheds were erected on site to house the various departments, these were typically built in rows and sub divided into workshops. See aerial view. I find it interesting to note the wide variety of uniforms being worn by the trainees. There seems to be a fairly relaxed attitude toward dress regulations and more emphasis placed on the mens' practical abilities.

Tomo

post-115561-0-13756500-1414224304_thumb.

Grove Park. ASC MT. Engine assembly shop. Trying a piston in the bore. Sgt. Major looking on intently ! IWM Q 34129

Edited by Tomo.T

post-115561-0-39945000-1414224745_thumb.

Grove Park. ASC MT. Engine assembly shop. Various work underway on lorry engines and a gearbox. Sgt Major observes. Shell main bearings visible in the crankcase on the right. IWM Q34131

Edited by Tomo.T

post-115561-0-37332700-1414225254_thumb.

Grove Park. ASC MT. The Wheelers Shop. No smoking allowed. Trainees are refurbishing wooden spoked wheels ( from cars or ambulances) using spoke shaves to dress up the new spokes. IWM Q 34133

Edited by Tomo.T

post-115561-0-26245100-1414228344_thumb.

Grove Park. ASC MT. Trainees work on lorry chassis. IWM Q 34132

post-115561-0-24695400-1414229173_thumb.

Grove Park. Bakery. Sgt Major testing the produce. This appears to be an original building on the site. Note the bread ovens, made by Kemp & Sons, Oven Buildings, Stepney Green, E. London.

Interesting to note that the ASC were also responsible for training Bakers ! IWM Q 34130

Edited by Tomo.T

post-115561-0-08343500-1414229543_thumb.

Grove Park.ASC MT. Women at work in the kitchen, another original building. The large tubs are steam cookers/ boilers. IWM Q 34140

Edited by Tomo.T

post-115561-0-28375400-1414229889_thumb.

Grove Park. ASC MT. Troops assembling by one of the covered walkways. Note the poster on the wall possibly concerning the wasting of rations. ( Some trainees had been found to be queuing up for multiple meals !) IWM Q 34137

Edited by Tomo.T

post-115561-0-92102800-1414230469_thumb.

Grove Park. ASC MT. Having completed their training, Passed Fitters and Drivers parade before posting to their units. IWM Q 34138

Phew ! That's about it. There are more, but they are mostly repeats, with slightly different arrangement of personnel, proving that the pictures were posed for the photographer. It is likely that it was still necessary to stay still for a photograph at this time, hence the somewhat wooden poses !

This series of pictures, Q 34120 - Q 34140 ( IWM) were taken for the Ministry of Information by the 'Official British Photographer'. Each side of this sequence are images depicting ASC Mounted Training Schools for the Horse Transport Companies. Once again no location is given, presumably for censorship reasons. They are all viewable on line on the IWM Miscellaneous 1WW photos file. I found it best to Google one of the numbers from the series and work back or forwards from there ( remember to leave a gap between Q and the number.) You will also have to Register and sign in to use the search facility.

I hope you have enjoyed this rare glimpse of the workings of No.1 Reserve MT Depot , Grove Park.

Tomo.

Edited by Tomo.T

post-115561-0-53388800-1414246050_thumb.

Ok,Just one more look at the workshops at Grove Park from the air.

Tomo.

Tomo,

Thanks for finding those in the IWM vaults and I'm pleased you managed to put a few bob in the meter to finish the job after yesterday morning's hiccup.

It amazes me that they never burnt the place down. I only saw one fire bucket in all of those photos.

I've got your reply to my PM.

Phil

Thanks Tomo for all those photos. It brought to life the places that my uncle trained to be a Driver for the Heavy Artillery. I have no idea whether he was trained on the steam engines or not, I haven't managed to find that out from his records which luckily were only partially burnt in WW2. Unfortunately he contracted Influenza and Pneumonia, just after the Armistice was signed, and died in Dec 1918 at the American Hospital at Camiers.

Regards,

Keith

Phil,

Glad you could join us ! I was delighted to unearth these images, they contain a wealth of detail and should be very useful to anyone wishing to research Grove Park. As mentioned above, if your interest is more 'horsey' there are quite a lot of an ASC Rider Training Establishment in the same series.

Regards and thanks for your assistance with the above.

Tomo.

Edited by Tomo.T

Keith,

It certainly brings Grove Park to life doesn't it. Your Uncle may have trained on Holt Tractors, which were kept elsewhere, can't remember the depot at the moment. Have you got a unit ( Coy No.) for him ?

It's worth noting that it wasn't only the shells, gas and bullets that took mens' lives in the Great War.

Tomo.

Edited by Tomo.T

.... Your GF may have trained on Holt Tractors, which were kept elsewhere, can't remember the depot at the moment. Have you got a unit ( Coy No.) for him ?

Tomo.

Michael Young Army Service Corps 1902-1918 (2000), p.85 ...

The ASC Depot Company in Aldershot, 52 MT Company, had incorporated a caterpillar section in 1914 and it moved at the beginning of 1915 to Avonmouth to become the ASC Tractor Depot, providing caterpillar tractors and drivers for heavy-gun towing.

I hope you have enjoyed this rare glimpse of the workings of No.1 Reserve MT Depot , Grove Park.

Tomo.

Tomo - absolutely excellent!

Thanks Mark, tested my ( lack of ) computer skills to the limit, but great fun ! Cheers for 52 Coy details, Avonmouth it was,( don't think we've quite got the full picture there yet ! )

Tomo

Tomo,

I think my Uncle was a Lorry Driver (that's what it says on one of his Forms) as he stayed at Grove Park whilst he took the Learners Training, which he passed on 3 Dec 1916 after joining Grove Park on 17 Oct 1916. I don't know where he was after that until he embarked on "Hungale" at Portsmouth to go to Le Havre on 7 Feb 17. From there he joined 282 MT Coy (attached to a Heavy Artillery, 252 Siege Battery, RGA). After that he moved around quite a bit, leaving 282 MT Coy on 23 Jun 16 to go to 594 MT Coy, then on 4 Oct 17 to 406 MT Coy, then 272 MT Coy, then back to 594 MT Coy, then to 717 MT Coy, then to 403 MT Coy, then to 604 MT Coy, back to 403 MT Coy, then to 406 MT Coy, back to 403 MT Coy, then 402 MT Coy, then back to 403 MT Coy. Shortly after that he was transferred from "Y" Siege Park to the American Hospital at Camiers, where he died. His name & No. was CHARGE Dvr John William, DM2/ 228621.

Keith

Thanks Mark, tested my ( lack of ) computer skills to the limit, but great fun ! Cheers for 52 Coy details, Avonmouth it was,( don't think we've quite got the full picture there yet ! )

Tomo

Might be worth amending the Topic title to reflect the content includes all this extremely useful & interesting material about Grove Park and the ASC MT in general?

(Done by going to the #1 post and pressing Edit)

Keith,

Your Uncle was almost certainly transporting ammunition rather than guns. Lorries were not capable of moving large artillery pieces at this time, they were moved by Traction engines and Holt, and Foster Tractors.

All the Coys. you list were involved with Siege Parks and Heavy Artillery Ammunition Columns on the Western Front.

Regards

Tomo

Edited by Tomo.T