Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Signed Books & their inscriptions

Dust Jacket Collector

31 minutes ago, David Filsell said:

Feeling  rather chuffed by a signed copy of The Poetical Works of Gilbert Frankau  Vol 1 which arrived today - a limited edition of 310 copies and an inexpensive purchase. He is by no means in the top rank of GW poets, and no longer widely known or remembered as an author, although his books were highly sucessful. Amongst other things, he wrote both poetry and humorous 'rhymes' for the Wipers Times, a  worthwhile volume of biography and three GW based novels, one of which Peter Jackson Cigar Marchant I regard highly. On scanning the new arrival, the poems The Voice of the Guns and Gun-Team seem very worthwhile if little known. They certainly donot seem to be included in any of the various GW poetry compilations on my shelves. 

His ‘The Deserter’ is a striking poem. It appears in ‘Up the Line to Death’ (1964), an anthology selected by Brian Gardner.

Ooh, that sounds interesting. I must look out for a copy of my own.

3 hours ago, David Filsell said:

Feeling  rather chuffed by a signed copy of The Poetical Works of Gilbert Frankau  Vol 1 which arrived today - a limited edition of 310 copies and an inexpensive purchase. He is by no means in the top rank of GW poets, and no longer widely known or remembered as an author, although his books were highly sucessful. Amongst other things, he wrote both poetry and humorous 'rhymes' for the Wipers Times, a  worthwhile volume of biography and three GW based novels, one of which Peter Jackson Cigar Marchant I regard highly. On scanning the new arrival, the poems The Voice of the Guns and Gun-Team seem very worthwhile if little known. They certainly donot seem to be included in any of the various GW poetry compilations on my shelves. 

SJ,

Copies of his books are far from expensive - both his biog and PJ CM are well worthwhile - not by nature modest he is nevertheless a skilled author.

Regards

david 

Edited by David Filsell

• 2 months later...

Acquired today, this interesting copy of the Official History of South Africa in the War. It was published in Pretoria in 1924, one of 1000 copies, at the behest of the General Staff. This copy is signed & dated by General Brink who was head of the General Staff at that time.  Brink had a distinguished career in the war, seizing the hill of Mkogwa in 1916.3A9910A3-193A-4248-9C13-4AA983D0D8E8.jpeg.68bc232fb82876642ed70297d2f2b223.jpegA497359B-1549-4516-8964-73C94D73F250.jpeg.f5b8ea470aa73a4c09e03d60b02a1c06.jpeg

Well done Alan , it's always extra nice when you buy a book and get a link to history as well .

5 hours ago, Black Maria said:

Well done Alan , it's always extra nice when you buy a book and get a link to history as well .

Thanks John. I’m glad you noticed it. I feel references to rare books don’t seem to generate many responses any more. Maybe it’s just thee ‘n me collecting them now.

On no it isn't! (Pantomime shout).

I have just picked up another little known (Eastern Front) English translation of a German work on the Great War. I need to do an accurate check, but I think in now have 130. The range from the well to the unknown.

the search continues.

Regards

David

Edited by David Filsell

1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Thanks John. I’m glad you noticed it. I feel references to rare books don’t seem to generate many responses any more. Maybe it’s just thee ‘n me collecting them now.

It does feel that way sometimes Alan , maybe we should take up bayonet collecting :D

9 hours ago, David Filsell said:

On no it isn't! (Pantomime shout).

I have just picked up another little known (Eastern Front) English translation of a German work on the Great War. I need to do anaccurate check, but I think in now have 130. The range from the well to the unknown.

the search continues.

Regards

David

I hope you’ll eventually produce a list of German accounts in English. I probably have a couple of dozen so plenty more to find. I recently bought a nice jacketed copy of the diary of Otto Braun.

15 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Alan, I would posit that the brisk sale of books from the late David Pritchard's collection puts paid to your "thee 'n me" theory. The catalog arrives in the wee small hours here in the U.S. and by the time I hastily peruse it over my morning coffee, mark some choice wants, decide which organs it will be necessary to sell in order to fund the purchase, the only ones left  are the brutally expensive ones. But fear not, there's probably only 5 or so future catalogs of David's books to come.

1 hour ago, Dave G said:

Alan, I would posit that the brisk sale of books from the late David Pritchard's collection puts paid to your "thee 'n me" theory. The catalog arrives in the wee small hours here in the U.S. and by the time I hastily peruse it over my morning coffee, mark some choice wants, decide which organs it will be necessary to sell in order to fund the purchase, the only ones left  are the brutally expensive ones. But fear not, there's probably only 5 or so future catalogs of David's books to come.

True. I realise there are still a few of us. I suspect most collectors don’t appear on this site anyway.

(By the way, if you suspect a new catalogue is due out it’s worth checking Tom’s website a day or two beforehand as he often puts some online earlier.)

6 minutes ago, MartH said:

I still buy the odd book....

Glad to hear it. I’d be seriously worried if you didn’t.

Hi DJC,

Sorry to hear of your distress! Here is a case study for all you people. I bought this book a few months ago with the bookplate of Basil Liddell-Hart in it and thought wow! Further research showed me his collection is archived at Kings College London and he was a  good friend of Guy Chapman. Please study the pictures and advise me if this is authentic. The book is beautifully bound. Is this typical of his library? Don't you think the bookplate looks 'out of place'. It obviously had another owner in its life after leaving Liddell-Hart if its authentic. Do you think anyone could be bothered to go to all this effort if it were  fake? It wasn't megabucks! Discuss....

DSCN2383.JPG

DSCN2385.JPG

DSCN2386.JPG

The green cloth binding of Prodigality often seems to be found rather faded, which might lead someone to rebind it. If the bookplate was stuck to the inside of the front cover then the binder might have needed to reposition it.

22 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Glad to hear it. I’d be seriously worried if you didn’t.

Just completed my Second World British Official set today, just go the last Medical volume today, ordering tomorrow, so feeling chuffed.

26 minutes ago, MartH said:

Just completed my Second World British Official set today, just go the last Medical volume today, ordering tomorrow, so feeling chuffed.

Well done. Always good to complete a set except of course you can no longer search for it and then where are you!

1 minute ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Well done. Always good to complete a set except of course you can no longer search for it and then where are you!

But the mania continues............  "better copy" ...."second set"............etc.   :wub:

But the mania continues............  "better copy" ...."second set"............etc.

For some Official's I have 5 sets......

51 minutes ago, MartH said:

For some Official's I have 5 sets......

?? Why would you want more than 1??

DJC 

its been an ongoing vanity/interest project. I have no plans current to seek publication with either this work (or my manuscript on the 7th Infantry Divn at Ypres). For me, it's not about publishing it's about the pleasure of writing and research. I am always happy to respond to anyone seeking information on German works - novels, accounts of service etc by other ranks and junior officers . It would also would be good to trade German titles with you - I'm sure I have gaps to fill. 

Best regards

Davd

Edited by David Filsell

David. I’ll try and cobble together a list of all the German titles I have. May take a day or two.

1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

?? Why would you want more than 1??

It was a long time ago and they were dirt cheap