Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Signed Books & their inscriptions

Dust Jacket Collector

I found this a while ago. A really tatty copy of  'Lions Led By Donkeys', by P.A. Thompson. His mother's copy!

scan0001.jpg

2 hours ago, other ranker said:

I found this a while ago. A really tatty copy of  'Lions Led By Donkeys', by P.A. Thompson. His mother's copy!

scan0001.jpg

Very nice. I was sure I had this but can’t find it so have had to order another copy!

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, other ranker said:

Easy to find, but signed.

scan0001.jpg

Glad to see someone’s still buying old books!

• 4 weeks later...

I have never bought a copy of 'Francis and Riversdale Greenfell A Memoir', by John Buchan before. I found a really cheap copy on ebay that just had to be bought and found it was given by their father to their other brother Arthur.

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

13 hours ago, other ranker said:

I have never bought a copy of 'Francis and Riversdale Greenfell A Memoir', by John Buchan before. I found a really cheap copy on ebay that just had to be bought and found it was given by their father to their other brother Arthur.

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

Wow! That’s really special. Very jealous.

• 1 month later...

As you can see I am constantly upgrading my library. I think this is a really important find. 'Up To Mametz', inscribed by the author. Enclosed is the memorial service programme for LLewelyn Wyn Griffith.

DSCN3493.JPG

Thanks for sharing. Probably the best copy I’ve seen.

• 1 month later...

I found this book this week.

Letters From Germany and from the Army by C H Sorley

It belonged to a historian who specialized in Germany, Leonard Forster. I know DJC has a copy and there are supposed to be 60 copies only, well this No 66! 

IMG_20220807_151442_169.jpg

1 hour ago, other ranker said:

I found this book this week.

Letters From Germany and from the Army by C H Sorley

It belonged to a historian who specialized in Germany, Leonard Forster. I know DJC has a copy and there are supposed to be 60 copies only, well this No 66! 

IMG_20220807_151442_169.jpg

Interesting. Mine is no.5 and is inscribed by Sorley’s parents to his uncle. Perhaps there was a greater demand than they anticipated.

• 2 weeks later...

Today’s post brought this copy of Brownrigg’s account of his time as the chief Naval censor. As well as monitoring press releases he also kept an eye on what was permissible in the fields of literature and the arts. He seems to have held the official War artist, Muirhead Bone, in high regard as can be seen in his inscription in this copy.81C15037-AEB8-40DF-8A95-4816F22BD885.jpeg.4f1362963e7111f3fee7f8670c420571.jpegD60DD005-3872-4407-A6A9-E5C9C638FEF3.jpeg.2373120418c3345c1be03ee356b3bb77.jpeg

• 4 months later...

I have been looking for a copy of 'Over And Above' by J E Gordon in the 1919 original edition for some time. When I opened this copy the mother of a Great War Pilot has pasted what you can see on the pictures below. Basil Rust Jones killed 28th September 1918. His last letter home is attached dated 23rd September. Paul Bewsher's poem 'A Fallen Leaf' is copied to the front inner board. 

A really poignant shrine to her son.

img20221224_15252868.jpg

img20221224_15215499.jpg

Makes it all worthwhile when you turn up something like that. Shame the jackets been chopped up.

4 minutes ago, other ranker said:

I didn't realise that was the jacket!

I remember seeing the original on an excellent website that shows dust jackets on WW1 books.

2 hours ago, other ranker said:

I have been looking for a copy of 'Over And Above' by J E Gordon in the 1919 original edition for some time. When I opened this copy the mother of a Great War Pilot has pasted what you can see on the pictures below. Basil Rust Jones killed 28th September 1918. His last letter home is attached dated 23rd September. Paul Bewsher's poem 'A Fallen Leaf' is copied to the front inner board. 

A really poignant shrine to her son.

img20221224_15252868.jpg

img20221224_15215499.jpg

Very nice !

24 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I remember seeing the original on an excellent website that shows dust jackets on WW1 books.

:lol:

I just get jealous looking on that site! Happy Christmas!

1 hour ago, other ranker said:

I just get jealous looking on that site! Happy Christmas!

and to you & Black Maria as well.

2 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

and to you & Black Maria as well.

You too Alan ( and Grant ) and happy collecting in 2023 !

• 2 months later...

I found this on Abe. Under Fire, by Henri Barbusse with the ownership inscription of John Burgon Bickersteth.

img20230305_14154375.jpg

24 minutes ago, other ranker said:

I found this on Abe. Under Fire, by Henri Barbusse with the ownership inscription of John Burgon Bickersteth.

img20230305_14154375.jpg

Of course; The Bickersteth Diaries. I forgot for a moment who he was. Very nice.

I collect books on Great War aviation, I have a few signed copies.

The first is Arthur Gould Lee’s, No Parachute. No inscription, just an autograph. The second is another Arthur Gould Lee book, Open Cockpit. This is a bit more interesting, Gerald Austin was his publisher and is mentioned in the prelims. Included is a invite card to Mr Austin for cocktails hosted by Gould-Lee. 

Duncan Grinnel-Miln signed my copy of ‘An Escapers Log’, which was owned before me by Aviation historian Derek Mason. 

6801F84D-3FE9-476B-B386-97BAFF3DCBBD.jpeg

BA86E30D-2808-4CF9-B615-B87C7741FF1F.jpeg

FE39E071-DD54-4C24-9129-6094A91C88EA.jpeg

Another coupe of books. I’m very pleased to own an autographed copy of Cronyn’s ‘Other Days’, this book was in the hands of a man who survived being shot down by Werner Voss, during the dog fight with 56 Squadron in which Voss was killed.

I have a complete set of ‘The History of the Great War in the Air’ by Raleigh and H.A Jones. My copy was owned by Sir Robert Brooke-Popham (perhaps more well known for his time in the second war) but also came with an autograph letter signed from H.A Jones to a major in the RAF asking for his opinions on vol 6. 

My Great War collection is growing, if anyone is looking for titles, I can recommend Philip J Noffsinger’s World War 1 Aviation, a bibliography, published by the Scarecrow Press. 

2D33EEC4-3AAF-414F-B191-419DB986367F.jpeg

A33293CB-0A76-4E28-BA18-A1105DB310F5.jpeg

414082F9-234F-4FA2-BDE1-BDE53E8A80DF.jpeg

Super collection, Alex. Some wonderful associations. Noffsinger one of my go to reference books.

6.38am eh DJC? Is that why I haven't bought a book this week !