Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Signed Books & their inscriptions

Dust Jacket Collector

BJC 

Many thanks. Rushing all over the place here and abroad but I will check against my 'collection' - which comprises fiction and non fiction - and see what I can provide for you as soon as things start to settle/

Best regards and thanks

DJF.

29 minutes ago, David Filsell said:

BJC 

Many thanks. Rushing all over the place here and abroad but I will check against my 'collection' - which comprises fiction and non fiction - and see what I can provide for you as soon as things start to settle/

Best regards and thanks

DJF.

Hi David-   I just zapped the new version of COPAC  using publication dates 1914-1939 and keywords "Translated from the  German"   - some 6,033 entries came up. I suspect there may be one or 2 obscure Great War items tucked away in that listing. Happy hunting.

Don't forget that you can search on subject heading "World war, 1914-1918" before filtering by keyword and publication date ...

5 hours ago, seaJane said:

Don't forget that you can search on subject heading "World war, 1914-1918" before filtering by keyword and publication date ...

Thanks seaJane. Very useful. It threw up 325 titles. Many duplicates of course but some interesting titles I’d not seen before. More books to buy!

Thank you both 

Copac is something about which "Me? Iknow nothing'!

Seems like I had better make a serious attempt to become technology woke.

Somewhere in the techno-ether there is a photograph which I tried some years back to put up on the forum. I failed. Never tried such a bold step since.

i will get to Copac and see what comes up.

Best  regards

David

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 11:53, Dave G said:

Alan, I would posit that the brisk sale of books from the late David Pritchard's collection puts paid to your "thee 'n me" theory.

I believe there are a few of us on the forum but I know where Alan is coming from on this one . It's just nice sometimes when someone has gone

to the trouble of scanning an image and posting it ,that if a person with a similar hobby finds it interesting, they acknowledge it , or that person

may not bother in future .

I have several books that I need to scan and send to Alan for possible inclusion on his fantastic web site but I'm currently suffering from a bout of acute laziness. Assuming it's not terminal I'll have new titles to him shortly.

6 hours ago, Dave G said:

I have several books that I need to scan and send to Alan for possible inclusion on his fantastic web site but I'm currently suffering from a bout of acute laziness. Assuming it's not terminal I'll have new titles to him shortly.

Looking forward to seeing them, Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2019 at 17:20, MartH said:

Just completed my Second World British Official set today, just go the last Medical volume today, ordering tomorrow, so feeling chuffed.

The nice post man brought me something from New Zealand this morning, I know is WWII but it does reference the GW, also it a good copy, rare for any medical Official History since they are normally ex library. So now have complete sets of British Military Officials Great War and World War 2 it has taken me 36 years, first ones were Naval Operations purchased off Frank Smith in Newcastle in 1983. Now only need around 10 Volumes to complete full sets for English speaking nations excluding the US Army Green Books for both World Wars.

image.png.a6385eaca954c89dabcb892425c15045.png

Still looking for WW2 Army Medical Services vol.5 here ...!

I am tying to find another copy 

• 1 month later...

I received a copy of „Der Krieg zur See, der Handelskrieg mit U-Booten„ Vol 2 today. It has an interesting and politically undertoned inscription from Vizeadmiral Eberhard v. Mantey to Vizeadmiral Max Rollmann, the original owner of the book. v.Mantey was the director of the Naval historical branch who co-ordinated, edited,  corrected and wrote the introductions to the German Naval OH. Rollmann had at one time been the acting Governor of the Kiauchau Bay concession in China.

The date of the inscription, 5th March 1933, was the date of the last Parliamentary election in which democratic parties were able to stand. 

Thanks are due to pal GreyC for decoding the inscription and the lesson in German political history.

Wer macht die Geschichte Männer oder das Schicksal? oder giebt uns das Schicksal erst die Männer, die dann, ob geeignet oder weniger geeignet[,] die Geschichte machen? - Ganz gleich wie man diese Frage beantwortet, soll doch das Studium der Geschichte weniger ein Studium der Tatsachen sein, sondern soll uns zu Persönlichkeiten, zu Charakteren erziehen. Nur der Charakter, niemals die Intelligenz ist ausschlaggebend.

Zur freundlichen Erinnerung an Jahre gemeinschaftlicher Arbeit.

Who makes history men or fate? Or does fate first give us the men, who then, be they suitable or less suitable make history? However one answers the question, the study of history should be less the study of facts but should make us to personalities and give us character. Only character, never intelligence, is crucial.

In friendly rememberance of the years working together. v. Mantey

9D0655E0-D34F-4CF3-B3EC-B503FD1B4659.jpeg

• 1 month later...

1600281731_Image(55).jpg.a0506b9b1008dd771d4b57e8bffda94a.jpgHere's a dedication from the inside cover of a book published in 1909, 'Bellerophon  - the Bravest of the Brave' by Edward Fraser.  This is essentially the story of the man-of-war of  that name that took part in the battle of Trafalgar.  It also covers subsequent vessels of the same name, 3 in all that served with the Royal Navy.  Including the Dreadnought that entered service in 1909.  The writer is Able Seaman William Edmund Matthews, who was born in Penarth. Glamorgan on the 10th July 1886, so would have been 19 at the time of Jutland.  He joined 'Bellerophon' on the 1st of April 1913, and served on her until 17th February 1919.

Xmas 1918, saw him hospitalised, he presented the book to his nurse, her name we will never know as it has sadly been scratched out.   Bellerophon was 11th ship in line at Jutland, fired 62 12" shells and was undamaged.  

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

• 1 month later...
On 15/06/2019 at 08:33, Resurgam13 said:

Another association copy of "The Truth about the Dardanelles" - this was Randolph Churchill's -

Truth-Dardanelles-Churchill-1.jpg

Truth-Dardanelles-Churchill-3.jpg

Hi what's this book about , I have been trying to find reviews but cant seem to ?

It was actually from "World of Rare . . . " and the curious (or perhaps not) thing was that the previous bookseller's pencilled price was still on the front end-paper under which he had written "S. Copy". Perhaps "World of . . ." thought this meant "Second Copy"?

As to the eBay recommendation, I couldn't possibly comment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A copy of 'Stand To', A Diary Of The Trenches 1915-18 by Captain F. C. Hitchcock published by Hurst And Blackett 1937 with at tatty dust jacket, but a super inscription came in the post today.

scan0001.jpg

10 hours ago, other ranker said:

A copy of 'Stand To', A Diary Of The Trenches 1915-18 by Captain F. C. Hitchcock published by Hurst And Blackett 1937 with at tatty dust jacket, but a super inscription came in the post today.

Lovely inscription. Good to find it in any kind of jacket.

• 6 months later...

Recently, under another heading, I showed a copy of Edmonds ‘Occupation of the Rhineland’ inscribed to Churchill. It’s companion volume has just arrived ; Military Operations : Italy, published in 1949, the last volume of the Official History. Only 540 copies were printed so it’s one of the scarcer volumes. As with many of Winston’s books, Randolph has stuck in his bookplate after his father’s death. Churchill & Edmonds knew each other quite well, Edmonds having advised on the writing of ‘The World Crisis’.
(David Levine was an Australian collector).

254673CC-408C-4C99-9B16-4E6B15C59E80.jpeg.fc295fe764ebca1ecbebe1191a44e3b3.jpeg643D8680-2E73-4B12-9E8C-8FE60C1CBA6D.jpeg.2225df18bef7697241df30542dc09f90.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Not signed by the Author, but very pleased with this recent acquisition, inscribed by David Beatty.

17615a_0002.jpg

17615a_0001.jpg

1 hour ago, Resurgam13 said:

Not signed by the Author, but very pleased with this recent acquisition, inscribed by David Beatty.

Fantastic! Better than being signed by the author. I wonder who the recipient was?