Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Signed Books & their inscriptions

Dust Jacket Collector

14 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

It is rather nice, isn’t it.

Yes it certainly is Alan , one of my favourites . It's just such a shame it's so rare .

DJC, I will find a copy one day. I sold an unjacketed copy to someone who was a Gyde, a grandson , I think a couple of years ago.

1 minute ago, other ranker said:

DJC, I will find a copy one day. I sold an unjacketed copy to someone who was a Gyde, a grandson , I think a couple of years ago.

Knowing your remarkable ability to find the impossible, I’m sure you will.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a book I have been trying to find a dust jacket for. Signed by the author, but owned by someone with a big connection to him. The front boards and both sets of end papers are covered in paper clippings of the inquest in to Lieutenant Pat O'Brien's death in 1920.

IMG_20231208_205527_268.jpg

IMG_20231208_205624_036.jpg

IMG_20231208_205748_809.jpg

A nice find . It's a really good read and such a sad ending for a man who went through so much to escape , he was buried in an unmarked grave originally but that has now been rectified thankfully .

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed reading , 'Adventures On The Western Front 1914-1915', by A Rawlinson. He was the brother to General Rawlinson and a former racing driver. He took his very fast car to The Western Front and drove officers around who needed to get there quickly! One of his close friends was the Duke Of Westminster, famed for his armoured cars in France and Flanders, but also the Middle East.

There nicknames were 'Roly' Rawlinson and 'Benny' for Bendor.  I bought the follow up book, 'Adventures In The Near East 1918-1922', by Rawlinson recently which is gifted to the Duke for his Yachts library!

IMG_20240114_212027_075.jpg

IMG_20240114_212049_050.jpg

IMG_20240114_212215_616.jpg

20 hours ago, other ranker said:

I really enjoyed reading , 'Adventures On The Western Front 1914-1915', by A Rawlinson. He was the brother to General Rawlinson and a former racing driver. He took his very fast car to The Western Front and drove officers around who needed to get there quickly! One of his close friends was the Duke Of Westminster, famed for his armoured cars in France and Flanders, but also the Middle East.

There nicknames were 'Roly' Rawlinson and 'Benny' for Bendor.  I bought the follow up book, 'Adventures In The Near East 1918-1922', by Rawlinson recently which is gifted to the Duke for his Yachts library!

Very nice . I agree Adventures on the Western Front is a great book , I've recently finished Prisoners of the Red Desert  ( featuring the Duke who also wrote the introduction ) which was also a terrific read .

Yes. I read that not long ago. They certainly were put through it.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep doing what Black Maria suggested long ago. Keep looking at the mundane, see them all the time books. This time I have found a copy of 'Realities Of War', by Philip Gibbs with a gift inscription from him to Robert Tait McKenzie, who at that time would have been a physician in The Royal Army Medical Corps. He lay the foundations of many of the practices used today in physiotherapy working with the war wounded.

He went on in later life to become known as one of Canada's greatest sculptors. Google him!

IMG_20240127_171751_238.jpg

This book has been knocking around on the net for quite a while at a probably not unreasonable but still far too high a price. Suddenly it appeared on a popular auction site with a starting price some 20 times lower. Couldn’t resist although it did shoot up a bit towards the end! War verse from the writer of one of the finest of all War books - ‘Her Privates We’.IMG_0877.jpeg.e928ac06ebd23a04bd3ce6adaf8d63db.jpegIMG_0878.jpeg.7197d910c49269e8083e4c90ee8919f4.jpegIMG_0879.jpeg.5f663a8d5cdc3988f9ce497748ab4cce.jpeg

Well done. I did see it. I think it has gone to a good home!

• 2 months later...

I am not sure where to this book belongs on the forum, but I had to show you....

I bought a copy of Air Stories from the Ace Publishing Company because it had a rare dust jacket on it. However when the book came today a whole story came with it. 

If you follow the pictures you see it was given as a gift on September 28th 1939, to a boy Alan whose address was in Mordern Surrey. He made his own paper dust jacket from an old brown paper parcel with an address in Devon. It looks like he was a young lad that was evacuated to the countryside and this was a treasured posession. 

IMG_20240402_172452_013.jpg

IMG_20240402_172159_507.jpg

IMG_20240402_172713_176 2.jpg

IMG_20240402_172116_695.jpg