Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Signed Books & their inscriptions

Dust Jacket Collector

16 minutes ago, other ranker said:

6.38am eh DJC? Is that why I haven't bought a book this week !

My wife insists on tea by 6.15

• 1 month later...

I was looking for a copy of this book to buy cheaply with nice dust jacket and found this bookplate inside. The owner was a great friend to both Siegfried Sassoon and Edmund Blunden.image.jpeg.69f4dcf3934ce958a04123f6cb2397e9.jpeg

IMG_20230417_214916_923 2.jpg

A really important copy. Silk had a superb collection of Sassoon’s books.

No famous names here I'm afraid.  My copy of 'Aircraft of the 1914-18 War', by O.G.Thetford and E.J.Riding, published in 1946, has the owners name inscribed.  He is a Warrant Officer First Class in the Royal Army Educational Corps.  His initials are possibly E.J.M., can anyone make out the surname?

A further signature at the top of the page is also difficult to decipher.

The book contains many excellent 1/72 scale drawings of all the main types, with full specifications and service history.  For the larger examples of aircraft the drawings are fold outs.

Mike.

SAM_3113.JPG

I could be wrong, but one looks like E J McAdam and the other looks like E MacAdam. I haven't tried to identify him, but I'm sure someone can.

All the best, John

2 hours ago, johntaylor said:

I could be wrong, but one looks like E J McAdam and the other looks like E MacAdam. I haven't tried to identify him, but I'm sure someone can.

All the best, John

Thanks John,

So obvious, now you point it out!

Mike.

Thanks for the info about the Sassoon book. I think Black Maria told us to keep looking at the common books for sale and a rare gem will often be winkled out!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking for a copy Of 'Adventures On The Western Front', for years. Finally found a reasonably priced copy and lo and behold look who it belonged to..... bought from an entirely different place!

img20230502_17073493.jpg

img20230502_17135295.jpg

1 hour ago, other ranker said:

I have been looking for a copy Of 'Adventures On The Western Front', for years. Finally found a reasonably priced copy and lo and behold look who it belonged to..... bought from an entirely different place!

img20230502_17073493.jpg

img20230502_17135295.jpg

Any sign that Sassoon may have owned it?

I think it was previously owned by the top bookplate owner. We need to Google him

I think it was previously owned by the top bookplate owner. We need to Google him

Probably the 16th Earl of Pembroke, Tory Peer.

• 5 weeks later...

You may think I have a rare obsession with Edmund Blunden. I grew up in a village called Helpston in Cambridgeshire, the home of the poet John Clare. Blunden was the president of the John Clare Society and spent time in the village when I was a child. I can't remember meeting him, but I did go the John Clare County primary school, which he must have visited.

Any way I have just found a copy of The Waggoner And Other Poems with a poem in the front to W N Roughead, a famous crime author. If you read it at the end it is signed. Chad brook is the stream that runs through Long Melford, Blunden's home village.

img20230601_20524874.jpg

58 minutes ago, other ranker said:

You may think I have a rare obsession with Edmund Blunden. I grew up in a village called Helpston in Cambridgeshire, the home of the poet John Clare. Blunden was the president of the John Clare Society and spent time in the village when I was a child. I can't remember meeting him, but I did go the John Clare County primary school, which he must have visited.

Any way I have just found a copy of The Waggoner And Other Poems with a poem in the front to W N Roughead, a famous crime author. If you read it at the end it is signed. Chad brook is the stream that runs through Long Melford, Blunden's home village.

img20230601_20524874.jpg

What a brilliant find. I’m very envious.

• 2 months later...

This not particularly rare book has been sitting on ebay for years! I thought it better come back to the UK. Owned by a very important Aviation pioneer.image.jpeg.a6d2bb3c28a80e15e0a7e3a853d3e248.jpeg

IMG_20230813_111844_263.jpg

2 hours ago, other ranker said:

This not particularly rare book has been sitting on ebay for years! I thought it better come back to the UK. Owned by a very important Aviation pioneer.image.jpeg.a6d2bb3c28a80e15e0a7e3a853d3e248.jpeg

IMG_20230813_111844_263.jpg

Very public spirited of you.

I have found out from the Short family archivist that the book belonged to Francisco Samuel Short who was the director of the Windermere factory from 1941-1945. He was married to a famous aviatrix Winnie Drinkwater.

Pleased to serve the nation!

19 hours ago, other ranker said:

I have found out from the Short family archivist that the book belonged to Francisco Samuel Short who was the director of the Windermere factory from 1941-1945. He was married to a famous aviatrix Winnie Drinkwater.

Now you have me hunting through my shelves. I have a volume with that bookplate, purchased a few years ago, but on which shelf? I don't recall it having a further name added though.

• 3 months later...

Here is a book I have never heard of until seeing this copy. Written by John Graham Gillam, a fictional work based on his own experiences covered earlier in the 'Gallipoli Diary '. As you can see it has a nice message from him to William Henry Hewitt.

IMG_20231120_182017_804 2.jpg

IMG_20231120_182042_037 2.jpg

What a super find. I have the book but no jacket, sadly. 

A very nice find with a great inscription ( and jacket ) . I have a copy of 'Contemptible' with an inscription by Arnold Gyde to a colleague who he worked with in the A.O.R.G ( Army Operational Research Group ) dated 1943 in memory of their walks to the local pub together . It highlights the fact that many of the well known authors ( to us anyway) who fought in the Great War were also very involved in the following one .

Hi Black Maria, I have never seen the  UK edition of the 'Contemptible' book for sale in a jacket. I will persevere!

Hi Black Maria, I have never seen the  UK edition of the 'Contemptible' book for sale in a jacket. I will persevere!

Hi there , no i don't think i have either . Mine is without unfortunately , as i do really like that particular jacket . 

1 minute ago, Black Maria said:

Hi there , no i don't think i have either . Mine is without unfortunately , as i do really like that particular jacket . 

It is rather nice, isn’t it.IMG_0859.jpeg.c6de96291d8a111db079206f986150ab.jpeg