Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Signed Books & their inscriptions

Dust Jacket Collector

Nice one, Andy. Imagine having to sign all 600 copies!

It reminds me of what used to be said about the late PM Edward Heath - the rarities were the books of his he hadn't signed!

Hello, another one of mine,Not sure about the rarity, but try to buy a Hardbacked version of both Volumes 1 & 2,  on this occasion this book is no 350 out of 700.The author Ralph Whitehead has signed adhesive labels to be stuck onto the title page probably at the printing stage. 

php4oClnAAM.jpg

phpsqkdwSAM.jpg

Excellent. It's always so much more satisfying to find a signed copy. It's nice to think the author's hand has actually rested on the book although in this particular case it probably hasn't!

I thought you might like to see this  in a 1929 7th imp of 'undertones of War' I found. Blunden seems to have signed lots of his later works, but I can't find one in this book anywhere.

scan0001.jpg

41 minutes ago, andymack said:

Hello I have around 7 more are they of interest. cheers Andy.

The more the merrier. There's so little on the site for we book collectors.

I like your Blunden, Other Ranker. I have a couple of his books signed so I recognise his distinctive script.

This book is I believe quite rare. Called "The Somme Then & now" by John Giles published 1977. When I bought this book I discovered quite a few letters tucked inside from the author on Western Front Association headed paper to the buyer of the book. Also there was quite a number of Newspaper clippings regarding visits to the battlefields by the      author. John Giles has written inside the front board "This is a Collector`s Copy" and signed it.

phpbuQs4MAM.jpg

phpIDbsCyAM.jpg

phpKdeKdpAM.jpg

phpsMK9yhAM.jpg

phpcqHTR1AM.jpg

Laurie Milners excellent book "Leeds Pals".I am lucky enough to know Laurie as he is a member of one of my local WFA.

phpudHGGtAM.jpg

phpLH2TvtAM.jpg

The new book relased last month called " Kitcheners Mob". The new army to the Somme br Peter Doyle and Chris Foster

phphXMyLcAM.jpg

phpp9i05HAM.jpg

Well done, Andy. You clearly know all the right people.

I guess I have just been lucky. I make it my business to attend functions that are concerning my main interests, which are the Leeds & Bradford Pals.

• 1 month later...

I've just taken delivery of the 2-volume set of Rudyard Kipling's history of The Irish Guards in the Great War, 1st editions in their near perfect dust jackets. A bargain I thought at £35. I'm still in shock after opening them to find that both volumes are signed by the great man!

2 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I've just taken delivery of the 2-volume set of Rudyard Kipling's history of The Irish Guards in the Great War, 1st editions in their near perfect dust jackets. A bargain I thought at £35. I'm still in shock after opening them to find that both volumes are signed by the great man!

Well done, excellent purchase !

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not usually a collector of Unit Histories but when this came along I couldn't resist!

'A History of the Lancashire Regiment in the Great War 1914-1918' by Maj.Gen. Sir Lothian Nicholson & Maj. H.T.MacMullen, published in 1936. A super copy in its jacket, but inside it's inscribed to Nicholson's daughter, he having died before the book's completion, by MacMullen who completed the work.

east lancs regiment-001.jpgeast lancs letter.jpg

I just got one by accident. Bought the book for a song as a reader and opened it to find this when it came in the post today.

Chris

BWaction.jpg.

1 hour ago, 4thGordons said:

I just got one by accident. Bought the book for a song as a reader and opened it to find this when it came in the post today.

Chris

BWaction.jpg.

Jealousy rating 4/5 :(

Nice one ! , well done.

(Just to add that it's also nice to see a photograph of the author, which is not in the British edition.)

Edited by Black Maria

In response to an earlier post Re: Edmund Blunden, here's a book of his I've had for a while. Not strictly Great War but with enough connections to make it acceptable, I think. 'The Bonadventure' , published in 1922, tells of an Atlantic voyage he'd made. The 'E.M.' is Edward Marsh, Churchill's secretary & sponsor of many of the War poets. A couple of months earlier he had presented Blunden with the Hawthornden Prize for poetry. I think I paid £8 for it, the dealer not having noticed that it was inscribed. More worrying is the fact that someone in the Dorset County library service didn't consider this book worth keeping & was prepared to let it go for 25p!

(I'm sure it's unnecessary for me to tell members of this learned forum where the quote comes from, so just to confirm  it's from Lucretius' 2nd book, 'De Rerum Natura', something about being better to be on shore watching a boat on a rough sea).  

Blunden Bonadventure.jpg

one i had forgotten i had " The Battle of the Somme " Masefield 1919 limited edition with this inscription  

" we fight aKKa  akka  akka  forever  forever  and forever" 

The Anzac on the Somme

signed John Masefield   

{a mint copy presented to a library in 1940...another reason never to leave your books to a library!!!} 

I suppose today's library is just a place to read a newspaper, have a cup of tea & surf the net. We don't need any of those smelly old books!

• 5 months later...

For those who may be interested I dragged this one up again to show a copy of 'A Passionate Prodigality' I found this week with an inscription and letter from Guy Chapman to his fellow author Col C.S Collison on the publication of his own book not mentioned but could be 'The 11th Royal Warwicks In France 1915-16, that I can see for sale on ABE to this name.

scan0001.jpg