Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Walter Brennan?

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

Douglas Fairbanks?

He does have Fairbanksian good looks. But no.

1 hour ago, Gardenerbill said:

Gary Cooper

Not he, no.

Edited by Uncle George

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

Walter Brennan?

Yes! The great Walter “Stumpy” Brennan. I see he won three Oscars!

He served in France with the 101st Field Artillery, and it is said that he acquired his high-pitched voice as a result of having been gassed.

Image from here:

https://archive.org/details/shorthistoryphot00camb

E47A4AA5-A109-41A5-B196-0DF3A1566932.jpeg

Edited by Uncle George

And talking about Walter Brennan, Gary Cooper, Douglas Fairbanks [Jnr], who is this chap? Seen here with his brother. (I don’t know which one is the brother; but as they look exactly alike it matters little!)

3D69C5DD-B852-4E3C-B896-22381E562C7A.jpeg

Ok who are these three sad cases???

20190121_182044.png

NF

Two look like they are Durham Light Infantry, can I assume that all 3 are?

Edited by Knotty

5 minutes ago, Knotty said:

NF

Two look like they are Durham Light Infantry, can I assume that all 3 are?

Yes. A safe assumption.

Hi NF

They are L/Cp McDonald,L/Cp Goggins and Sgt Stones, 3 members of the 19th (Bantam) Battalion DLI shot as example on the 18th Jan 1917 for alleged cowardice during a German attack on the line near Arras on 26th November 1916.

http://www.durhamatwar.org.uk/story/11263/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Goggins

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stones

Still working on UG’s brothers

49 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi NF

They are L/Cp McDonald,L/Cp Goggins and Sgt Stones, 3 members of the 19th (Bantam) Battalion DLI shot as example on the 18th Jan 1917 for alleged cowardice during a German attack on the line near Arras on 26th November 1916.

http://www.durhamatwar.org.uk/story/11263/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Goggins

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stones

Still working on UG’s brothers

Correct sir. 

Remembering the Fallen:  on this day in 1917, Lance Corporal John McDonald, Lance Corporal Peter Goggins and Sergeant Joseph Stones, 19th (Bantam) Battalion, the Durham Light Infantry, were executed side-by-side for cowardice at Arras in France.  
In 2006 they were pardoned and are remembered at the Shot At Dawn memorial at the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire.  Their battalion had been formed in January of 1915, “bantam” referring to the battalions where the height requirement was reduced to lower than 5’3”.  The battalion sailed from Southampton to France in February of 1916 for active service on the Western Front.  
In the early hours of the morning of the 26th of November, 1916, the battalion was holding part of the British line near Arras.  Sergeant Stones was with Lieutenant James Mundy when they were attacked by German raiders;  Lieutenant Mundy was grievously wounded and ordered Sergeant Stones to go for help. His rifle was in such condition that he could not fire it so he jammed it across the trench to slow down an advancing German soldier. Still under attack, he took cover in a reserve trench.  Meanwhile, Lance Corporal Goggins and Lance Corporal McDonald had been leading their men from the front line trench.  All three had retreated approximately twenty yards to a reserve trench while under attack from the enemy.  They were approached by military police amidst the dark and much confusion, arrested - the sergeant was charged with “shamefully casting away his arms in the presence of the enemy”, and the two lance corporals for leaving their posts without orders, although their sergeant testified that they had in fact been following orders.  
On Christmas Eve Lance Corporal Goggins and Lance Corporal McDonald were tried and sentenced to death, as was Sergeant Stones a few days later, in spite of Lieutenant Mundy’s order as well as the statement from his commanding officer that "he is the last man I would have thought capable of any cowardly action”.  Brigadier-General H. O'Donnell wrote that although he had doubts about the evidence, he felt that the executions were necessary to set an example to other men in the battalion.
John, from Jarrow in Co. Durham, had worked as a glassworks labourer before joining the army in March of 2015 - he was  27 years old and married with three children.  Peter, from Seaham Harbour, Co. Durham, was one of eight children - he was 21 years old and had been married for only six months;  after his execution his wife disappeared.  Joseph, from Crook in Co. Durham, was also a miner - he was 27 years old and married with three daughters.  As miners were in a reserved occupation, there was no requirement nor expectation that they would enlist.  All three men are buried in the St. Pol Communal Cemetery Extension at Pas de Calais in France.
This letter from Private Albert Rochester, in detention for complaining about conditions in the trenches, appeared in the Daily Herald in 1925:  “Three stakes a few yards apart and a ring of sentries around the woodland to keep the curious away.  A motor ambulance arrives conveying the doomed men.  Manacled and blindfolded they are helped out and tied up to the stakes.  Over each man’s heart is placed an envelope.  At the sign of command the firing parties, twelve to each, align their rifles on the envelopes.  The officer in charge holds his stick aloft and as it falls thirty-six bullets usher the souls of three Kitchener’s men to the great unknown.   As a military prisoner I helped clear up the traces of that triple murder.  I took the posts down… I helped carry those bodies towards their last resting place;  I collected all the blood-soaked straw and burnt it.  Acting on police instructions I took all their belongings from the dead men’s tunics (discarded before being shot).  A few letters, a pipe, some fags, a photo.  I could tell you of the silence of the military police after reading one letter from a little girl to ‘Dear Daddy’, of the chaplain’s confession that braver men he had never met than those three men he prayed with just before the fatal dawn.  I could take you to the graves of the murdered.”

Morning UG,

I hope I’m correct with this one, it’s taken me a while, is it Howard Hawks and his brother Kenneth who both played prominent roles in the film industry. Both served in the US Army Air Force in WW1 before going to Hollywood. Howard already a pilot, was initially commissioned as a lieutenant into the Signal Corps before transferring to the USAAF and was involved in training pilots, (I assume) Kenneth was directly enlisted to the Air Force and not commissioned. 

Howard became very successful as a producer with films like, The Dawn Patrol and Sergeant York,(see wiki entry), Kenneth was more into directing of film, married to Mary Astor, he was unfortunately killed in an air accident which saw the loss of 10 pilots.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Hawks

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Hawks

47 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Morning UG,

I hope I’m correct with this one, it’s taken me a while, is it Howard Hawks and his brother Kenneth who both played prominent roles in the film industry. Both served in the US Army Air Force in WW1 before going to Hollywood. Howard already a pilot, was initially commissioned as a lieutenant into the Signal Corps before transferring to the USAAF and was involved in training pilots, (I assume) Kenneth was directly enlisted to the Air Force and not commissioned. 

Howard became very successful as a producer with films like, The Dawn Patrol and Sergeant York,(see wiki entry), Kenneth was more into directing of film, married to Mary Astor, he was unfortunately killed in an air accident which saw the loss of 10 pilots.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Hawks

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Hawks

Yes. Walter Brennan was in ‘Rio Bravo’ -  without doubt one of the greatest films of all time. Directed and produced by Howard Hawks.

This chap earned nobility status rather than being born into it.

He was thus rewarded for his services as a cavalry brigade commander, and staff officer.

20190124_105942.png.8da3d00ab5c2ec396d48bdc0a005d45e.png

10 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi NF

Looks like a very aged AH, have you been to South America or Weymouth?

I hadn't noticed the resemblance until you mentioned it, but you're right, there certainly is one. Even more resemblance to "Shug" though I would suggest.

20190124_122316.png.801ad953b00715a67e0fdfd2003c20b4.png

If you haven't seen Still Game yet, it's available on Netflix, and comes highly recommended, by me at least.

13 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

He looks like a desiccated von  Seeckt.

That's an excellent attempt, but only the "von" bit is correct. 

Wilhelm Ritter von Leeb?

Ron

2 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Wilhelm Ritter von Leeb?

Ron

Again; the "von" bit is correct.

Though an esteemed staff officer and cavalry wallah, he will be better remembered for his ultimate ww1 calling.

Edited by neverforget

17 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Eberhard von Schmettow?

Not him either.

In the years prior to the war, he held various staff roles, as well as being in command of a cavalry regiment, and later, a cavalry brigade.

At the start of hostilities, he was again employed in a staff position, but went on to command two separate divisions, before landing his defining role.

Erich Gustav Wilhelm Theodor Gündell, given the title von Gündell by the Kaiser in 1906?

Not Gundell either I'm afraid. I really didn't see this much longevity in this one, as he was a major (no pun) figure in the German side of things. 

Despite his excellent credentials with regard to cavalry, infantry, and staff, his final role was nothing to do with any of those particular elements of the German armed forces. 

So....not land.