Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Is that George Patton on the left of the front row?

3 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Is that George Patton on the left of the front row?

No, Pete, but the chap that you have pointed out is the most well know of the bunch. In fact he is something of an American sporting legend, if that's not too strong a term to employ in his case. I shall have to let you decide on that once his identity has been revealed.

Fiendish Mr P, there's something very familiar about the faces but I can't think of from where......

22 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Fiendish Mr P, there's something very familiar about the faces but I can't think of from where......

The chap you highlighted was also well known for an act of thievery.

The plot on which the mission was based, was hatched by a member of the royal family, who had strong links to both the British and German rulers.

8 hours ago, Knotty said:

Are these the chaps that tried to kidnap the Kaiser after the war?

Yes, John, they are indeed. Well played.

The group that attempted to kidnap the Kaiser, ca. 1919

Luke Lea Papers

Front row: Capt. Leland S. MacPhail, Col. Luke Lea,
Cap. Thomas P. Henderson, 1st Lt. Ellsworth Brown
Back row: Sgt. Dan Reilly, Sgt. Egbert O. Hail,
Sgt. Owen Johnston, Cpl. Marmaduke P. Clokey

The plot to kidnap the Kaiser

According to Lea, the idea to kidnap the Kaiser originated at a tea with the Duke of Connaught in June 1918. During the tea, the Duke boasted of being uncle to both King George V of England and Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany. Lea would later write, "We realized that all of the force of the British crown . . . would be exerted to the utmost to protect the royal kinsman," but Lea believed ". . . that the Kaiser should be made to suffer in some small measure the orgy of torture he had inflicted upon more than half of mankind."

Shortly after the Armistice, the Kaiser abdicated his crown and went into exile in Holland, which had remained neutral throughout the war. With the aim of kidnapping the Kaiser and bringing him back to Paris to be tried for war crimes, Lea traveled to Amerongen Castle, where the Kaiser was living in exile, with several of his officers and men: Captain Leland S. MacPhail, Captain Thomas P. Henderson, 1st Lieutenant Ellsworth Brown, Corporal Marmaduke P. Clokey, Sergeant Dan Reilly, Sergeant Owen Johnston, and Sergeant Egbert O. Hail. They arrived at Amerongen Castle at 8 p.m. on January 4, 1919 and were able to talk their way inside the castle, but they were not able to meet the Kaiser and left when two companies of Dutch infantry arrived.

The U. S. Army would probably have preferred to ignore the incident had it not been for an official complaint filed by the Kaiser through the Dutch Government. The Kaiser wanted charges pressed against Lea for "appear[ing] uninvited at the castle of his host, Count Bentinck, and ma[king] him nervous." Then there was the issue of the bronze ashtray, monogrammed with the Kaiser’s initials, that Captain MacPhail had pocketed while at Amerongen Castle. While the Army was forced to conduct an investigation of the incident, none of those involved were court-martialed. General Pershing’s official position on the trip was to call it "amazingly indiscreet." Unofficially, he told General Bullard, commander of the U.S. 2nd Army, "I'd have given a year’s pay to have been able to have taken Lea's trip into Holland and entered the castle . . . without invitation."

Captain Leland S. MacPhail, thief of His Imperial German Majesty's ashtray, is better known to the world as Larry MacPhail, General Manager of the Cincinnati Reds (1933-1937), President of the Brooklyn Dodgers (1938-1942), and General Manager/President/Owner of the New York Yankees (1945-1947). MacPhail kept the ashtray and proudly displayed it on his desk for many years.

Picture from here:

https://sharetngov.tnsosfiles.com/tsla/exhibits/veterans/ww1.htm

Edited by neverforget

Cheers nf,

Ths is an interesting one for me, all I have in my “records”  is literally a single sentence with no other information ......US team tasked with attempt to capture the Kaiser after war.( no pictures). It was a total guess, no reference to sport, British royalty etc. Need to add this to my growing list of items to research.

Would that be a last of, or a last to?

Is it Henry Botterell, the last surviving pilot in the world to have seen action in the Great War?

Hi NF

Sorry not Botterell,  starting clues , born in Ireland, killed just before the end of “the last 100 days”.

Looks a bit like JRR Tolkien, but isn't.

Well done Margaret, no need to fill in details as you have added them. 

Hope the photo does his battlefield funeral justice.(taken 15/10/1918)

29656833-6FF8-4F04-A858-B5EE48F4D53B.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Well done Margaret, no need to fill in details as you have added them. 

Hope the photo does his battlefield funeral justice.(taken 15/10/1918)

29656833-6FF8-4F04-A858-B5EE48F4D53B.jpeg

Thank you. Yes it does.

Well played Margaret. I thought of most possibilities but alas, not Generals.

This man refused the ultimate gallantry award. 

20190113_164244.png.3314ef166b004bf24aad98b6ac1fb5b5.png

Posted a pic by mistake, sorry.

Edited by neverforget

Evening NF

Is that Gordon Campbell VC, the Q-ship commander that refused a second VC and had it balloted amongst his crew members?

67D8FEF4-9FB5-4A3E-9399-7B3795856E36.jpeg

Its something about his nose

Edited by Knotty

11 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Evening NF

Is that Gordon Campbell VC, the Q-ship commander that refused a second VC and had it balloted amongst his crew members?

67D8FEF4-9FB5-4A3E-9399-7B3795856E36.jpeg

Its something about his nose

It is John. Well sussed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Campbell_(Royal_Navy_officer)

On board one of the vessels under his command, I have no idea which one it is, a very gallant naval officer on all accounts

C071307B-CC59-4764-9C53-DE3A71C5AEDD.jpeg

A close up of his impressive set of gongs:

20190113_220646.thumb.png.2797ee5b9b577ed5ddff4be6ceb7cdf1.png

Who is this with his pals???

20190114_154214.png.f44116bdd808eaedc7bd755920277fd3.png

Edited by neverforget