Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Documents Archive Online

Shiny

All working perfectly well for me now and revealing some amazing information.

But I am NOT using the CWGC search, rather I am using GSE and going direct to CWGC via the link on GSE results.

Works every time

All working perfectly well for me now and revealing some amazing information.

But I am NOT using the CWGC search, rather I am using GSE and going direct to CWGC via the link on GSE results.

Works every time

Ok - I'll be the ignoramus - what or whom is GSE please?

An excellent resource. I checked one of my 15th Hants men and there are six pages of records, where I got a couple of lines on a previous direct enquiry.

Geoff's SE is definitely the only way in for me at present though.

Phil

Thanks Phil, I have not seen it abbreviated before.

Well, I must say looking at the results I am getting it seems to me that for those who were concentrated into other cemeteries, the map reference doesn't refer to where they were exhumed from it must refer to where they are buried now. When I originally made enquiries into four men they initially gave me a map reference and told me it was for the location they were originally buried. Months later, I contacted them again after resting my head on a wall repeatedly and told them that they came from four different locations, so they couldn't possibly all have the same map reference. I was then told that the reference only applied to one of them and the others didn't have a map reference but now I can see the same map reference against all their names. My best guess now is that it is the reference of where they are now concentrated. Sounds negative but it isn't really because at least it has cleared up that issue. I have the map sheet they are referring to however, it doesn't cover the area. It seems that there is another series of maps on a different scale with the same numbering system and if I do manage to locate it, I am sure it will confirm my suspicions.

An excellent resource. I checked one of my 15th Hants men and there are six pages of records, where I got a couple of lines on a previous direct enquiry.

Phil

Phil, I got through a few minutes ago directly through their home page and seems to be working if not a little slow.

Some fascinating information on a quick look at a few men, I too could only get in via Geoff's SE.

I have now got in direct, as I wanted to check my Non-comms, which can't be searched on GSE and it is interesting to see the latest registration documents as well.

Also, unbeknown to me, a CWGC headstone is now on one of the graves.

Phil

Just looked up a recently recognized non-comm - no additional papers at all!

• Admin

I'm sure the IFCP people will confirm but I wonder if CWGC actually holds the paperwork for non-comms? The decision to accept or not a non-comm was made by MoD and now the National Army Museum so it would be them with the paperwork. An FOI request might get you a copy of it.

Have a look for one that Chris Harley has found a grave for and see what records, if any, are there. CWGC's interest is not in the qualification for commemoration as that is up to the responsible national governments but in the location of a grave or a memorial for the men.

Will it be possible to search unknowns of a particular regiment interred at a particular location? E.g. Somerset LI at Tyne Cot or Passchendale New. What I'm after is whether there are exhumation records including map references for unknowns. If so, which parameters of the search engine need to be used?

Th CWGC site is still playing up. The "Find a Cemetery" returns "no results" for Tyne Cot!!

Chris C

Will it be possible to search unknowns of a particular regiment interred at a particular location? E.g. Somerset LI at Tyne Cot or Passchendale New. What I'm after is whether there are exhumation records including map references for unknowns. If so, which parameters of the search engine need to be used?

Th CWGC site is still playing up. The "Find a Cemetery" returns "no results" for Tyne Cot!!

Chris C

The unknowns are there. I found one of my unknowns last night. If you look at his current burial plot and look at the casualties to see who is next to him now, he might be on the same page as one of them. I am dubious about the map references. Four men in four different locations with the same map reference. I know the four small towns are pretty close together but the map map they are using must be huge with three in one square and one in another...I was beginning to think the ref is for where they are now. I will have to try and work out the distances between the towns from the information I have and see how it would work...They have only given the square and not full coordinates so presumably, all I would get would be the town anyway and nothing very exact.

SPOF,

There is a card for a non-com I was involved with on the system. It gives details of where the grave marker will be placed.

He is William Thomas HERBERT, buried in Clifton Reynes Churchyard.

Martin

I think there is a mention in the FAQ document taht more recent correspondence will not be online where there are data protection considerations to take into account

Phil

Hello Phil

Can you expand on the content of the six pages of records please ? What additional information do they contain ?

Regards

Ron

Hello all,

I have just been on the CWWG webpage and they have updated with with many new documents for all the soldiers. I am particulary interested as I have found a serial number for my great grandfather and an original exact burial location. I was wondering if anyone could help me find this burial location as my search on google maps has not done much good and also if someone could give me any extra infomation on his original service number (maybe someone has an idea of a possible join up date).

His original service number was 20731 and his original burial location is 62.c I.31. d.1.1.

If anyone can point me in the right direction (My trench maps that I have don't seem to proivde much help or possibly my rubbish map reading skills)

Thanks all and check out all this new infomation. Rather facinating.

Service numbers were unique to Regiments during WW1 so you need to tell us what Unit your great grandfather was in for this to have any meaning.

I should of mentioned this earlier he was part of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment (1/6th Battalion) is there any search engine that could give a grave reference it seems when i enter it the internet goes haywire.

There is an online service here http://rdf.muninn-project.org/TrenchCoordinates.html to convert trench map references to Lat/Long (you'll need to use a browser other than Internet Explorer though).

Bah, no extra documentation on my great uncle's entry yet. He's buried in Karasouli, so I guess I'll have to wait a while until they get around to putting Salonkia burial records up.

Hello Phil

Can you expand on the content of the six pages of records please ? What additional information do they contain ?

Regards

Ron

Ron,

This is the man. J C J Davey. I had previously obtained the exhumation and identification data. The biggest surprise was to find that he was originally on the Tyne Cot Memorial.

Phil

PS with regards to the Non-comm discussion, I have only found two of mine with paperwork attaced and that has been limited to Grave Registration details only. Both were in unmarked graves, which may, or may not, be a coincidence.