Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Documents Archive Online

Shiny

The CWGC Casualty search is doing some funny things at the moment. Have they rolled it back to an old database? After get a few "no results" coming up , I tried a surname only search I knew and found at least one name missing from it. Maybe that is the disruption they are warning about.

Phil

Many fingers (and toes) are crossed. Its going to be interesting to see what gems of information come out of this, particularly the exhumation reports.

Tom

Tom, it says 'commencing 7 July' does that mean they will be rolling out in phases (a bit like the war diaries)? Or perhaps it's just the way I'm interpreting the statement...

Some of this may be information on "unknowns". I know from correspondence with Norm Christie that an unknown 102nd Bn. casualty in Dury Mill Cemetery was "a big, dark man - a scout" I compared this against the men killed September 2/3 1918, and was able to eliminate all but two. Unfortunately it is less likely that it is my wife's great uncle Fred Rose.

Michael

It's good news though, I'm hoping the information I need is on there

Tom, it says 'commencing 7 July' does that mean they will be rolling out in phases (a bit like the war diaries)? Or perhaps it's just the way I'm interpreting the statement...

I think that the Commission are aiming for a "soft launch" rather than an all-singing-all-dancing affair which might just invite problems due to over-expectations and an overloading of resources. Good move I think. - This is quite a bold move by the Commission in terms of the information being released, and a settling-in period should be expected. Its going to be interesting to see what kind of reactions they get both from the public and the press, - I suspect that the shear scale of reinterment which occurred may come as a surprise to the wider audience.

Any glitches which appear next week will no doubt be sorted out asap, and hopefully the Commission's enquiries team wont be swamped.

Tom

I think that the Commission are aiming for a "soft launch" rather than an all-singing-all-dancing affair which might just invite problems due to over-expectations and an overloading of resources. Good move I think. - This is quite a bold move by the Commission in terms of the information being released, and a settling-in period should be expected. Its going to be interesting to see what kind of reactions they get both from the public and the press, - I suspect that the shear scale of reinterment which occurred may come as a surprise to the wider audience.

Any glitches which appear next week will no doubt be sorted out asap, and hopefully the Commission's enquiries team wont be swamped.

Tom

Thank you Tom,

I hope it goes well.. Teething problems may well occur and it might even be down to a high volume of usage but once it is, as you say, bedded in, it has to be better than the long waiting times for handling queries.

It doesn't go into a great deal of detail and I am wondering whether it is original documentation that has been scanned or whether it has been transcribed from the originals. I also wonder if we will be able to download the information and save it to the PC...We shall see.

It makes a change for us to have access to something as good as this gratis. I am always peeved at the way we are held to ransom over access to newspaper archives in this country when other countries have free access - so well done CWGC.

Something free for a change - yes lets hope so!!!!!!!

Paul

Not really free though is it?, the member governments fund the CWGC and the finance for the new facility comes from that pot and that pot comes from taxpayers. There is no such thing as a free lunch!

Norman

... I am wondering whether it is original documentation that has been scanned or whether it has been transcribed from the originals. I also wonder if we will be able to download the information and save it to the PC...

Originals, and downloading should be straightforward. The number of documents varies from individual to individual - a simple single sheet record of burial through to four or more sheets detailing exhumation, identification, reburial etc. Some of the ID notes are going to raise eyebrows - burials based on a numbered spoon being found with a body, things like that.

There is a downside though - firstly, the Commission no longer have the vast majority of the nok final verification forms - the supplementary information (etc) which went to the cemetery registers, but also seem to have occasionally included requests for things like non-standard headstones. They might have been useful for understanding some of the notes on the burial records. Also, as I understand it, there will not (initially at least) be any straightforward way of searching for the papers relating to unknown burials - other than those which may appear listed on papers referring to ID'd burials.

Tom

Originals, and downloading should be straightforward. The number of documents varies from individual to individual - a simple single sheet record of burial through to four or more sheets detailing exhumation, identification, reburial etc. Some of the ID notes are going to raise eyebrows - burials based on a numbered spoon being found with a body, things like that.

There is a downside though - firstly, the Commission no longer have the vast majority of the nok final verification forms - the supplementary information (etc) which went to the cemetery registers, but also seem to have occasionally included requests for things like non-standard headstones. They might have been useful for understanding some of the notes on the burial records. Also, as I understand it, there will not (initially at least) be any straightforward way of searching for the papers relating to unknown burials - other than those which may appear listed on papers referring to ID'd burials.

Tom

Thank you Tom - once again - forthcoming with the details and much appreciated.

I've just had a quick look at the website, it's still the old version.

It must be going live over the course of the week rather than today

Working hours haven't even started yet - give them a chance! :P

SPOF

As one who does not tweet, thanks for that, I shall stand down until tomorrow !!

Paul

On my LinkedIn profile I was sent a message about a job opportunity that fits my profile, Service Delivery Manager with the CWGC. If only I was 20 years younger, lived near Maidenhead and wanted a job.

And if you read post #19, you will see that they said the 8th July.

Though their own website still says 7th July :-)

Week commencing 7 July...

On my LinkedIn profile I was sent a message about a job opportunity that fits my profile, Service Delivery Manager with the CWGC. If only I was 20 years younger, lived near Maidenhead and wanted a job.

Quote, from CWGC >

"The role of Service Delivery Manager is to be the connection between IS/IT and key stakeholders within the business. The role is responsible for the strategic and operational delivery of fit-for-purpose business driven applications across the Commission. The core responsibility will be to liaise with senior business stakeholders and subject matter experts to develop and maintain an integrated IS/IT landscape that delivers on the core requirements of the Information Systems Strategy"

That'll be fitting the profile, living near Maidenhead, wanting a job - and a degree in gobledlygook !

Sorry, I digress. Tuesday the 8th then - just 12hrs 24 mins to go till 00:01 hrs 8/7/14. Now where's that list ..........................

Tom

Looks like I peaked too soon! and you are right Heather, I hadn't realised the time when I tried.

Patience is a virtue etc

"commencing 7 July - the CWGC will launch an exciting range of new digital services on this website. These enhancements may cause some disruption to our services.

These include:-

• The launch of the Discover 14-18 website - to help people visit our sites and understand their history;
  • The launch of our First World War casualty archive documents online;
  • and enhancements to Search Our Records."

Has anyone accessed this today, or has it been delayed.

Thanks. Jim

Thanks Graeme, just been in and the search page has changed.

Going to give it a try. Jim.

Just been in and coming up as you say, 'Error Page not found'

Edited by ypres

Good heavens! Hark at you guys chomping at the bit. Sounds like you've only had it 5 minutes and broken it already :w00t: