Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Documents Archive Online

Shiny

The number in red in column 6 is his regimental number. The OP referred to the number in red in the right hand column.

Martin

Thanks Tom, it's the number in the right hand column in red I meant though.

He was a POW but I believe he was held behind the lines in a labour company rather than being sent to a camp.

The number in red on Greenacre's form is his regimental number !

I suppose there may be a chance of the Red Cross records showing something relevant for a man who died as a Pow away from the battle zone, but they aren't going to hold anything on soldiers other than Pows.

Tom

Thanks Tom, it's the number in the right hand column in red I meant though.

He was a POW but I believe he was held behind the lines in a labour company rather than being sent to a camp.

It looks like a file reference possibly referring to the information in that column...

Tom, Fred Greenacre is one of the many POW conundrums. Captured with 61st Div. St Quentin/Ham area during the first few days of the German spring offensive of 1918 and according to a couple of local newspaper reports, was at Stendal POW Camp but buried at Savy (after consolidation). Whether he made it to Stendal and was brought back or was just allocated Stendal as an intended destination & postal address is at the moment, a mystery. The Red Cross records will hopefully, for Shiny, have something on him.

The number in red in column 6 is his regimental number. The OP referred to the number in red in the right hand column.

Thanks Tom, it's the number in the right hand column in red I meant though

Sorry - I was looking at the number in red in the column on the extreme right of my screen - I hadn't realised there were more columns heading off into the ether to the right, towards my back garden :whistle:

Tom

In Grand Seraucourt Cemetery, among the gravestones in Plot III. Row A. are the following, in this order:

A Soldier of the Great War, Unknown Captain, Royal Berkshire Regiment

A Soldier of the Great War, Unknown Lieutenant, Royal Berkshire Regiment

A Soldier of the Great War, Unknown Officer, Royal Berkshire Regiment

The Graves Registration Form for this row gives the following:

Any ideas as to how might this discrepancy be explained?

post-2425-0-98732000-1405957890_thumb.jp

In Grand Seraucourt Cemetery, among the gravestones in Plot III. Row A. are the following, in this order:

A Soldier of the Great War, Unknown Captain, Royal Berkshire Regiment

A Soldier of the Great War, Unknown Lieutenant, Royal Berkshire Regiment

The Graves Registration Form for this row gives the following:

Any ideas as to how might this discrepancy be explained?

You have their burials as listed above and then showing the exhumation sheet. I can only think that perhaps they were not all recovered from the same place? But were concentrated together when re-interred.

Morning All,

I got the CWGC news letter last night, there is an example on it which has a picture of someones records which contain 3 exhumation reports. I suspect that may have been part of what I was hoping for and they just don't exist for my soldier.

The FAQ on the website does say:

Are these documents all of the records that the CWGC holds for each individual?

These documents represent the vast majority of the casualty records that are held by the Commission, but not all. Due to the large number of documents held and the logistics involved, documents are being released in a phased approach with the initial release relating to the First World War. The Commission intends to release Second World War records at a later date.

I suspect the second release will all be Second World War but that first sentence does make me wonder if I might be lucky.

I'm still curious about that file reference on the right of my document as well, could that relate to another document listing what belongings where sent home and when.

The reason I'm so curious is that I have a bible belonging to him which contains a label saying it was issued in service in 1917. I know it was his and he had it with him in the trenches, I'm just curious (morbidly maybe) if this was returned by his unit when he went missing (highly unlikely due to what was going on at the time), posted home by the hospital when he died (more likely), or buried with him and returned when he was moved.

Michael

That's probably answered my query - there's nothing extra on men in Syra & Moudros cemeteries.

I have found snippets of extra info on men drowned in the Royal Edward, although buried at sea.

Kath.

The files for Karasouli are now on the website.

Morning All,

I got the CWGC news letter last night, there is an example on it which has a picture of someones records which contain 3 exhumation reports. I suspect that may have been part of what I was hoping for and they just don't exist for my soldier.

The FAQ on the website does say:

Are these documents all of the records that the CWGC holds for each individual?

These documents represent the vast majority of the casualty records that are held by the Commission, but not all. Due to the large number of documents held and the logistics involved, documents are being released in a phased approach with the initial release relating to the First World War. The Commission intends to release Second World War records at a later date.

I suspect the second release will all be Second World War but that first sentence does make me wonder if I might be lucky.

I'm still curious about that file reference on the right of my document as well, could that relate to another document listing what belongings where sent home and when.

The reason I'm so curious is that I have a bible belonging to him which contains a label saying it was issued in service in 1917. I know it was his and he had it with him in the trenches, I'm just curious (morbidly maybe) if this was returned by his unit when he went missing (highly unlikely due to what was going on at the time), posted home by the hospital when he died (more likely), or buried with him and returned when he was moved.

Michael

Check your emails. I have stumbled across something today that while it won't address the questions regarding items found with him, it should go a long way to answering the question of what happened to him after he was captured regarding Stendal and I think it might transpire that he will have a POW record.

Apologies if this is piggy-backing inappropriately.

I am fairly sure that Frank Silver whom I discussed in this thread:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=211396&hl=

has been re-buried.

There are no CWGC documents as far as I can see that indicate that he was originally buried elsewhere. However I notice that the men in neighbouring graves are from different units and have very different death dates, which together might indicate re-burial.

Can I expect any more documents to appear?

R.