Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Documents Archive Online

Shiny

Looking good. It has even helped out with confirming a wrong year typo in one of the other threads

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=214065&hl=

Can I ask someone to check out if the new documents open correctly in this one. All I'm getting is the screen going darker/shaded. (happened with Thiepval Memorialalso)

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1645669/HOWARD,%20JESSE%20JOHN

Hywyn

Looking good. It has even helped out with confirming a wrong year typo in one of the other threads

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=214065&hl=

Likewise http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=111754#entry2117404

Have also come across some concentration records, but as yet they can't be opened or downloaded; still its early days, so I'm certainly not complaining.

NigelS

Hwyn, I checked out that one and like you the screen was dark BUT I've nearly solved a mystery man.

I'm helping my son with some of his problem men on the St James Church memorial in Taunton. One man's CWGC entry said he was "of Taunton" but no relatives names. Now the headstone inscription lists gives the person who asked for this inscription. It is a lady from Taunton and gives her address. I've found her in the 1911 census but he is not living there as he is in the military, but it could well be a sister. More research to do.

Thanks Mike. Agreed it will iron itself out. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't my steam driven PC not having the right gizmo thingiemebob to open a particular type of document.

Thanks Susan

We crossed posted there.

Great stuff about solving the mystery. There'll be quite afew others so resolved I'm sure.

Hywyn

• Admin

I think the dark pages are from no documents there yet.

It looks like there are 2 types of pages - 1 for graves registration and headstone documents and 1 for just headstone documents. If the man has documents from each set, his record is marked as such and the appropriate page will load. If his documents haven't been loaded, then of course the website will just hang for a while. It should fix itself when everything is loaded but it will be a big job.

I think the dark pages are from no documents there yet.

It looks like there are 2 types of pages - 1 for graves registration and headstone documents and 1 for just headstone documents. If the man has documents from each set, his record is marked as such and the appropriate page will load. If his documents haven't been loaded, then of course the website will just hang for a while. It should fix itself when everything is loaded but it will be a big job.

That's what I've been finding - presumably they're uploading them bit by bit.

Craig

Seems to be a third lot if he has been relocated but that image isn't loading yet either. I'm hoping that when that becomes visible, it will show how he was identified and give the map ref of the original grave.

Is it just me or has the forename / initials part of the search disappeared?

Steve.

• Admin

Well spotted Steve. I had been going in via Find a Cemetery to look at thedocuments and hadn't tried the Casualty search.

The forenames bit has indeed vanished, but if you're able to conduct the search via Geoff's Search Engine it'll take you straight to the casualty's page, including the new documents.

Clive

Steve.

Yup, and the search doesn't seem to be quite as good without having to dig. I think it's a good case of if it ain't broke don't fix it.

craig

There is only one field for the name and a search can be done by including first names or initials all in the same field as the surname. I found this from the help field at the LHS.

June

When finding a casualty it appears you get a picture of a register . When I click on it to see more nothing happens except the screen fades. Has anyone managed to access this new archive, and if so, how?

Look of the draw at present, some I have seen have three lots of documents but can only view the first lot (2 pages), like you the rest for me just fade the screen. I'm in no hurry......

Useful - the name of next of kin listed here has confirmed the identity of the last man on my 75 name war memorial ... Thomas Albert Mobberley served as BIRD ....

I'm having the same fade out issues too.

Great to see the docs we can though.

Useful - the name of next of kin listed here has confirmed the identity of the last man on my 75 name war memorial ... Thomas Albert Mobberley served as BIRD ....

That's great news Simon - we're going to go back through our 150+ and see what extra we can find too!

As for the "greyed out" screen I assume it's where the database has been updated but the specific document not yet loaded. Let's be fair, they did say "week beginning.." and so far it's looking very interesting indeed.

Mmm, intuitive searching. Always an interesting way of doing things.

My searches on NULTY now throw up all the McNULTY entries as well. Can't see an "Exact Search" option anywhere

post-1356-0-76439500-1404803831_thumb.pn

Hi All

The site is struggling to do any searching at all for me at the moment !!!!!!

Paul