Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bygone Occupations That No Longer Exist

seaforths

Where there still sin eaters in the WW1 period? I have come across references as late as the end of the 19th century

Where there still sin eaters in the WW1 period? I have come across references as late as the end of the 19th century

'Last 'sin-eater' celebrated with a church service':http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-11360659

SNAP!

(Sorry - same link posted :innocent: )

My apologies you were on first!

My apologies you were on first!

No apology needed - Great minds...

• 2 weeks later...

Donkeyman - a passenger carriage driver

Andrewr

Donkeyman - a passenger carriage driver

Andrewr

Donkeyman - man who operates a ship's crane (powered by a donkey engine). With the move to containerisation a nearly vanished trade bur one that still exists.

Railway ticket collector or the lad who sold them must be a job now fast disapearing .

I agree most stations you now seem to go through a ticket turnstile and the guard rarely checks tickets on the journey.

I haven't seen railway porters for years. You can't even get a luggage trolley these days and luggage storage on trains is abysmal. I think it has been done deliberately to limit the amount of luggage you can take.

At one time the platforms abounded with porters ready to help you by hand or with a trolley. You used to also have to purchase a platform ticket to see someone onto their train too.

Guest exuser1

I agree most stations you now seem to go through a ticket turnstile and the guard rarely checks tickets on the journey.

I haven't seen railway porters for years. You can't even get a luggage trolley these days and luggage storage on trains is abysmal. I think it has been done deliberately to limit the amount of luggage you can take.

At one time the platforms abounded with porters ready to help you by hand or with a trolley. You used to also have to purchase a platform ticket to see someone onto their train too.

In fact at Aylesford Kent a few years ago i went in to the stations ticket office to buy a ticket ,it was now a Indian take away ,the ticket machine (broken) was on the platform ,and station completly unmaned,and before someone leaps in with the cctv argument i was a project manager for ADT involved in cctv and its a waste of time .

I remember that platform tickets could be obtained from a machine for 3d in the sixties, this was probably the thin end of the wedge for the production and introduction of the ticket machine.

I remember the machine running out of tickets in the last days of steam when two steam hauled specials called at Bolton One pulled by the Flying Scotsman the other by Oliver Cromwell ( a BR Pacific engine not the man) with two of Bolton Sheds engines attached as pilot engines. It must have been before April 1968

I can remember they were bought from someone that had a machine a bit like a bus conductor and they gave you a ticket and they also had a static ticket machine. As you pointed out probably the thin end of the wedge as the men vanished and only the machine remained.

Guest exuser1

Still recall the huge left luggage at Liverpool St Station in

London superb service ,and all those kiosks on the platforms great days

I can remember they were bought from someone that had a machine a bit like a bus conductor and they gave you a ticket and they also had a static ticket machine. As you pointed out probably the thin end of the wedge as the men vanished and only the machine remained.

Once got called in to assist KPMG's Muscat office as they were bidding to assist in setting up a State owned Omani Bus Company (and apart from having a "does Middle East stuff" stamp on my forehead my records showed I had once done some work for CIE when they ran the buses in Dublin). Discovered that such machines had became incredibly complex being little PCs and at that stage well beyond the pay grade of the sort of guys they were recruiting (well to be brutally honest renting from third country gang masters) as conductors

As it turned out that no Omani National would be seen dead on a bus the whole scheme fizzled out anyway

I have come upon a few "doffers" during my research. Only to be expected in a textile area of the West Riding.

Keith

I have come upon a few "doffers" during my research. Only to be expected in a textile area of the West Riding.

Keith

Doffers used the products provided by the doffing plate maker mentioned in my earlier post...

Regards

Ian

Keith

Don't know if it was a job title in the Lancashire Cotton mills but it was task involving removing empty bobbins or spools and replacing with full ones, know as doffing off. Doff is an old English word meaning to take off as in to"doff your cap"

Don't know if it was a job title in the Lancashire Cotton mills but it was task involving removing empty bobbins or spools and replacing with full ones, know as doffing off. Doff is an old English word meaning to take off as in to"doff your cap"

I thought Keith's post might be related to Ian's earlier post about the doffin plate maker. When I checked back to the first page I used that dictionary link and found it says that doffers removed full bobbins by association they must have also put on empty bobbins. It doesn't mention doffin plate makers. I can only assume the doffin plates had something to do with the bobbins.

I thought Keith's post might be related to Ian's earlier post about the doffin plate maker. When I checked back to the first page I used that dictionary link and found it says that doffers removed full bobbins by association they must have also put on empty bobbins. It doesn't mention doffin plate makers. I can only assume the doffin plates had something to do with the bobbins.

The definition (empty on.full off) is the opposite to mine(full on empty off). This depends on which process in the production of the textile is taking place,some processes involve both, for example a spinner would replace empty bobbins off and put full bobbins from the card room on the mule or ring spinner and take off full spun yarn bobbins and replace with empty ones.

I just thought that if the mill was producing wool or yarn then empty bobbins would be put on and full bobbins would be removed but if the mill was producing textiles from these materials, the opposite would occur as they would presumably then start with full bobbins.

I think the correct term was shifters see the old song

"Oh, dear me, the mill’s going fast
The poor wee shifters canna get their rest
Shifting bobbins course and fine
They fairly make you work for your ten and nine
Oh, dear me, I wish the day was done
Running up and down the pass is no fun
Shifting, piecing, spinning warp, weft and twine
To feed and clothe your bairnies all for ten and nine
Oh, dear me, the mill runs fast
They fairly make you work for your ten and nine
Oh, dear me, the world is ill divided
Them that works the hardest are the least provided
But I must bide contented, dark days or fine
There's no’ much pleasure living, off of ten and nine
Oh, dear me, the mill runs fast
They fairly make you work for your ten and nine"
A shifter both removed empty bobbins and put full bobbins on in many textile works
In my early working life I did a contract IT job for Templeton's carpets in Glasgow (1971) part of which involved designing a new payroll system for their factories in Bridgeton and Ayre. They still employed shifters then but paid a mite more than 10s 9d.

Thank you for posting it. I had some thoughts of the Scots equivalent earlier and thought sadly, I could have asked my mother had she still been around. She worked in a mill in Aberdeen. I still have her copy of the weaver's prayer.

I remembered the song from having heard Ewan MacColl (James Henry Miller) and Peggy Seegar sing it. I believe that it originated from Dundee

I read it at her funeral. my mother and one of her sisters were sent through to Aberdeen to work at the mill at 15 years old. Their food and accommodation money was deducted at source. My grandma had both of what was left of their wages 'arrested' until they were 18. She only gave them stamps and paper with which they were to write home.

My life is but a weaving

Between the Lord and me;

I may not choose the colors–

He knows what they should be.

For He can view the pattern

Upon the upper side

While I can see it only

On this, the under side.

Sometimes He weaves in sorrow,

Which seems so strange to me;

But I will trust His judgment

And work on faithfully.

‘Tis He who fills the shuttle,

And He knows what is best;

So I shall weave in earnest,

And leave to Him the rest.

Not ’til the loom is silent

And the shuttles cease to fly

Shall God unroll the canvas

And explain the reason why.

The dark threads are as needed

In the Weaver’s skillful hand

As the threads of gold and silver

In the pattern He has planned.

I just thought that if the mill was producing wool or yarn then empty bobbins would be put on and full bobbins would be removed but if the mill was producing textiles from these materials, the opposite would occur as they would presumably then start with full bobbins.

There are a number of processes that turns raw cotton (that looks and feels a bit like cottonwool )to the fine spun cotton thread ready for sewing or weaving. In the Card Room the cotton is transformed (teased)from a bale of raw cotton into a coarse yarn that is wound onto bobbins that are doffed off and then go to the spinning machines where the bobbins of coarse yarn are doffed on the spinning machine. These then spin the cotton into the bobbins of fine thread.which are dofffed off when full..

I am not sure but I think wool and flax are produced in a similer manner.