Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bygone Occupations That No Longer Exist

seaforths

One where the name still is in used but for an entirely different occupation

Bag man which used to be a travelling sales man (who carried a bag with his samples in it ) and bag man which today means a man who collects protection money [a bag lady is something completely different.]

Richard Hanney pretends to be a bag man in one of Buchan's novels

And we also still have Tinkers but I bet they don't repair metal cooking-ware any more.

Looking through some pre-war directories from just before the war, I noticed a few occupations or trades that are probably not around now, or if so have a different job title. Tripe dealer, tripe dresser, linen draper, bacon factor, chandler, provision dealer, commercial traveller. Also, in port directories, ship chandler. I can remember an old Chandler shop near to where I grew up and being sent there for quite a few household items. Smelt like a mixture of polish and Jeyes Fluid. Probably called DIY & Hardwear store now.

Noticed a number of wheelwrights and coach builders in directories, and I see a few are still about, including one with a Royal Appointment

http://www.wheelwright.org.uk/html/home.html

Found one that I'd never heard of before but still exists - Hogs' pudding maker. Apparently, a Hogs' pudding is a bit like a West Country version of a haggis!

One where the name still is in used but for an entirely different occupation

Bag man which used to be a travelling sales man (who carried a bag with his samples in it ) and bag man which today means a man who collects protection money [a bag lady is something completely different.]

Richard Hanney pretends to be a bag man in one of Buchan's novels

And we also still have Tinkers but I bet they don't repair metal cooking-ware any more.

I can remember my grandma many years ago complaining that 'The Tinkies don't come around and mend your pots and pans anymore - I suppose I'll have to buy a new one'.

OOp North there will still be tripe dressers and as tripe is still sold and eaten in some quantity (yuck) tripe dealers. I think that there will also be commercial travellers (reps)

Hogs puddings can still be purchased so presumably someone is making them

Ships (boat and Yacht) chandlers a plenty

Round here we still get those traditional rural trades of horse and sheep stealing but perhaps people don't put the trade on their census returns!

Hogs puddings can still be purchased so presumably someone is making them

Yes, that's why I said that even though I've never heard of it, the occupation 'still exists'! Edit: although probably others make it and aren't necessarily called 'Hogs' pudding makers'

Must try a Hogs' pudding next time I'm in Devon.

I forgot to mention the Salmon Fishers of my mother's side of the family. They used boats in the River Spey and the coastal area to take the nets out and tug them in again - hence the place name of Tugnet. The fish were taken into the ice house and they went by horse and cart to Portgordon to be put on the train. Portgordon wasn't the nearest station but taking them there meant they could pull out more fish on the way.Quite a few men drowned in the river in the process. My great auntie could recall being allowed to ride the horse and cart from Tugnet to Portgordon and how they had to doff their caps to the Laird should they see him. It has ceased to be fished in this way for a few years now and I doubt the way that salmon is commercially produced now quite covers the term salmon fisher in the same way.

There are still some coracle makers about, one interviewed on steam wireless recently and he mentioned that there were still coracle fishers

You'll need a big net to catch a coracle.

Coracle fisherman? I know some fish on the Tefi but more for fun rather than income.

I think initially they used coracles. I think I have some pictures of the boats they used later on I will have a look. I think they also have one in the ice house which is now a museum but it's funny that when you know an area very well, you don't tend to do the tourist things. Friends in England that have visited the area keep telling me to visit the Baxter's place and despite going to the area regularly, I never have. My uncle's sister was their PA about 50 years ago - it just never occurs to me to go.

The coracle maker must be very poor! Not much market and they do last.

I don't think it was his only source of income

The salmon fishers weren't using coracles in the WW1 period. It was more like a coble that is associated with Grace Darling. I wouldn't like to go on that river in either. I will try and locate some photos later.

There are probably many jobs in the print industry that have gone with changes in technology but given that so many had arcane job descriptions any way it may be difficult to know.

There are probably many jobs in the print industry that have gone with changes in technology but given that so many had arcane job descriptions any way it may be difficult to know.

Typesetters perhaps?

Spey salmon fishers now defunct and not using coracles...

post-70679-0-40978000-1391979889_thumb.j

post-70679-0-10470800-1391979918_thumb.j

post-70679-0-91641000-1391979971_thumb.j

post-70679-0-57668100-1391980007_thumb.j

Fishermen came from the surrounding villages of Dallachy and Bogmoor. I included the last one because I can just about see the roof of grandma & granddad's house. He went back after the war for a time, back to the salmon fishing and farming community. First three images from 'Moray Coast from Cullen to Culbin Through Time' by Jenny Main. Last one my own - passed on from my mother. It still has it's original (yellowed and fragile) envelope printed with White's Fisheries, Aberdeen.

They used to get the ice for the ice house from the river and the burn. Following the burn past the ice house a little way, there was a man made lake from which they used to cut the ice to put in the ice house. The cottages were known as Lakiehead where my great, great granddad lived - also a salmon fisher. I don't expect there is much call for folk that cut ice from frozen lakes or rivers any more. I doubt if they even had a name for it.

Does the team think that bird catcher is a bygone occupation? As in

Love without hope, as when the young bird-catcher

Swept off his tall hat to the Squire's own daughter,

So let the imprisoned larks escape and fly

Singing about her head, as she rode by.

Or do we think that a certain officer of the Royal Welsh is using poetic licence?

Pete.

Does the team think that bird catcher is a bygone occupation? As in

Love without hope, as when the young bird-catcher

Swept off his tall hat to the Squire's own daughter,

So let the imprisoned larks escape and fly

Singing about her head, as she rode by.

Or do we think that a certain officer of the Royal Welsh is using poetic licence?

Pete.

Well...wackypedia reckons those of that occupation had the surname Fowler!

Well...wackypedia reckons those of that occupation had the surname Fowler!

That works for me; I wouldn't want to suggest that Lt. Graves might be making things up. I am sometimes sceptical about Wikipedia entries however. That one about me playing the tenor sax solo on Steely Dan's title song for the movie FM: No Static At All is clearly rubbish. My solo wasn't used though I'm not bitter......

Pete.

Does the team think that bird catcher is a bygone occupation?

Papageno?

Ron

Papageno?

Ron

Brilliant spot Ron. If it's good enough for Mozart (or more accurately Emmanuel Schikaender) in Die Zauberflote it's good enough for me.

Pete.

Two different things - A fowler hunts wildfowl (ducks, geese etc) and kills them (a fowling piece is a shotgun) whilst a Birdcatcher traps and captures song birds alive for sale

Unless you are thinking of that other composer Wilhelm Adam Mozart's unsuccessful opera "The Enchanted 12 bore" :whistle:

Spey salmon fishers now defunct and not using coracles...

attachicon.gifsalmon.JPG

attachicon.gifsalmon2.JPG

attachicon.gifsalmon3.JPG

attachicon.gifsalmon4.JPG

Fishermen came from the surrounding villages of Dallachy and Bogmoor. I included the last one because I can just about see the roof of grandma & granddad's house. He went back after the war for a time, back to the salmon fishing and farming community. First three images from 'Moray Coast from Cullen to Culbin Through Time' by Jenny Main. Last one my own - passed on from my mother. It still has it's original (yellowed and fragile) envelope printed with White's Fisheries, Aberdeen.

They used to get the ice for the ice house from the river and the burn. Following the burn past the ice house a little way, there was a man made lake from which they used to cut the ice to put in the ice house. The cottages were known as Lakiehead where my great, great granddad lived - also a salmon fisher. I don't expect there is much call for folk that cut ice from frozen lakes or rivers any more. I doubt if they even had a name for it.

O dear! This takes me back. Not as far as some of the pictures, but more than ........ty years!

I can remember the smaller icehouse, salmon bothy and stand nets a few miles further east between Portgordon and Buckpool. The icehouse was disused, but the nets and bothy were very much in use. I have seen the boat and man hauled net many times.in various places on the east coast of Scotland.

A comment on something perhaps; the salmon bothy on Montrose basin is now flats.

Roger.