Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bygone Occupations That No Longer Exist

seaforths

Found a man who was a 'Pavier'.

He worked for Halifax Corporation laying paving stones/flags to make pavements.

Men who mined micaceous hematite (once used to make ink) were known as treacle miners (the residue from the ink making process does look like molasses) this, coupled with various hoaxes, jokes, Terry Pratchett and Ken Dodd, has given rise to the spurious story of treacle mines which one can ardently deny ever existed - but treacle miners did even if they didn't actually mine treacle.

And, according to Ken Dodd, there was once a problem in the Knotty Ash Jam Butty mine when the miners uncovered a Marmalade seam :hypocrite:

bill

"When Tadloe walks the streets, the paviers cry God bless you, sir and throw their rammers by"

Tadloe was an Oxford don of some substantial girth

"When Tadloe walks the streets, the paviers cry God bless you, sir and throw their rammers by"

Tadloe was an Oxford don of some substantial girth

Tremendous. :thumbsup:

The description of the work of the cartman some posts ago reminded me of the similar activities of the Night Soil Man.

In no way associated with Night Soil Man; in the long distant a days before computerised dyeing I worked for a textile finishing company who employed a Night Dyer.

R.

I think they still exist but spelt paviour

I must ask for that job when I go to the job centre

Especially if you want to go to sea. Donkey engines used on general merchant men to power the derricks (on board cranes) - Used to be steam but now usually diesel

Donkey engines are also used in heavy haulage. They are used for steering dollies and multi drive trailers.

Donkey engines are also used in heavy haulage. They are used for steering dollies and multi drive trailers.

We had one at work until a couple of years ago and now use the yard truck for moving dollies, dogs and standard trailers.

Tony

Toast Boy - I wonder if that involved raising a glass or slices of bread...

Not a soap marker - a soap stamper which was someone who operated a press that stamped out bars or ovals of soap using a press and a die

The other toast boy is I think a separate job from military cap maker. It used to be known as a Salad and Toast boy and was a job in a restaurant kitchen - I think more usual in America - he used to produce Salad and French Toast.http://www.kchistory.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/Local&CISOPTR=28723&CISOBOX=1&REC=3

Looks like he was a toast boy at the junior Carlton Club.

One thinks of Tom Brown but he was a toasted boy courtesy of Harry Flashman

I fear I'm disappointing quite a few forum members by informing that the mechanisation (and thus mass production) of the filling of fig rolls was invented as early as 1892, leaving the lost occupation as fig roll filler a depressingly non-WW1 topic.

One thinks of Tom Brown but he was a toasted boy courtesy of Harry Flashman

That thought went through my mind too...well that and Blackadder with Pit the Even Younger!

I fear I'm disappointing quite a few forum members by informing that the mechanisation (and thus mass production) of the filling of fig rolls was invented as early as 1892, leaving the lost occupation as fig roll filler a depressingly non-WW1 topic.

Still to be found in he Middle East where you buy your fig rolls still warm from the bakers oven (not worth eating when they've cooled)

Or at all :ph34r:

Still to be found in he Middle East where you buy your fig rolls still warm from the bakers oven (not worth eating when they've cooled)

I assume the Middle Eastern bakers do not produce on an industrial scale to a degree necessitating a dedicated, non-mechanised, filler of the rolls.

Time for this thread to get back to topic, so I'll shut up with a thank you to all contributors for a very interesting and educational run so far.

Rag-conditioner, rag-picker and wool-sorter. Mentioned in Subaltern on the Somme by the author as trades of some of the men in his company (most of the others were miners). Oil presser was also on the list but perhaps that still exists.

• 4 weeks later...

A Donkeyman was in charge of the Donkey Boiler which supplied the steam to the ships utilities i.e. winches, galley, heating etc

Thats where the term donkey work comes from