Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bygone Occupations That No Longer Exist

seaforths

Two different things - A fowler hunts wildfowl (ducks, geese etc) and kills them (a fowling piece is a shotgun) whilst a Birdcatcher traps and captures song birds alive for sale

Unless you are thinking of that other composer Wilhelm Adam Mozart's unsuccessful opera "The Enchanted 12 bore" :whistle:

Thanks Centurion, I wonder what Salieri would have made of the Enchanted 12 bore? He'd probably be quite pleased.

Thanks Centurion, I wonder what Salieri would have made of the Enchanted 12 bore? He'd probably be quite pleased.

According to the various myths around he'd probably have used a sawn off one. Philistine that I am I actually prefer his and Haydn's compositions (lets hear it for Goliath)

O dear! This takes me back. Not as far as some of the pictures, but more than ........ty years!

I can remember the smaller icehouse, salmon bothy and stand nets a few miles further east between Portgordon and Buckpool. The icehouse was disused, but the nets and bothy were very much in use. I have seen the boat and man hauled net many times.in various places on the east coast of Scotland.

A comment on something perhaps; the salmon bothy on Montrose basin is now flats.

Roger.

The ice house outside Portgordon on the way to Buckpool is still there and there was talk in the village last year that the land has been sold for development - at auction in Glasgow. That caused a stink because it seems that nobody was aware of what was happening. Apparently it was sold and permission given to open a café or something like that near the ice-house, probably because that close to where the seals congregate on the beach. However, I believe there was another one between the Tugnet and Portgordon. It might have been somewhere in the region of the old tennis courts and like the tennis courts, allowed to be claimed by the sea. I think that had something to do with the two boys being killed there in 1941 playing in a minefield west of Vimy Ridge going towards the Tugnet.

Night soil collector! :blink: Could well be that there were night soil collectors from Hull in the Forces.

Night Soil Collectors 19th and 20th Century

During Victorian times, people didn’t have flushing toilets so men came around every week, like dustbin men, to collect the contents of the toilets or privies as they called them. These people were called ‘Nightsoil Men’. They collected their ‘Night Soil’ on horses and carts as in the photograph here.

In 1873, Dr Holden was the Medical Officer of Health in Hull. He investigated anything that could affect people’s health and he looked into the ‘Night Soil Collectors’ because…

'The contractors could not collect the night soil from any single house in the town without having to disturb the householder in gaining access to the privy. At least 20,000 of the houses had no back entrance which meant that they had to carry it through the houses to the collecting carts in the street’

In 1887, the Medical Officer of Health’s report said that if a Water Closet (WC) couldn’t be built, the privy should be built outside and as far away from the house as possible. Only richer families had WCs though. The Medical Officer saw there was a link between children who lived in areas without running water and doing badly at school. In 1903 though, the citizens of Hull voted against a Bill that would have converted all privies to WCs. It wasn't until the late 20th Century that it was standard for a toilet to be inside the house in new houses.

http://www.mylearning.org/hullistic-medicine-public-health-through-time/p-3291/

Emptying the old privies began to be a problem in the late 19th century as the growth of the water closet (often out door) meant that the night soil business became increasingly unprofitable whilst at the same time there were still enough privies around to make it very noticeable if they were not emptied. With the lack of revenue people became increasingly reluctant to work in the business with all its unpleasant features (employees like a job that has increments rather than excrements). Considerable pressure was applied by local and public health health authorities to accelerate the replacement of the privy with the WC even when this meant overloading inadequate sewer systems. However I can vouch from experience that there were still places in the North West where the night soil cart was doing its rounds in the 1960s.

Rogue-er. Sorry but I've never seen it written before. Phonetically ROWGUR. Itinerant agricultural worker who picks wild oats from barley or wheat fields.

Peter B

It wasn't until the late 20th Century that it was standard for a toilet to be inside the house in new houses.

I have a friend who grew up in Hull in the 1980's and he says that there were indoor flushing toilets in the city by then. :whistle: As for dying trades, how about tobacconist? (rather than newsagent that sells fags)

Hello Dave,

I don't know about your part of the world but where I live tobacconist's are still common.

khaki

There were a couple in our town centre but they disappeared a few years ago. I hadn't noticed they were gone until a few weeks ago. A friend broke his pipe and said he would have to get another one on-line and I suggested the tobacconists in town. It was he that pointed out they had been closed for some time.

Rogue-er. Sorry but I've never seen it written before. Phonetically ROWGUR. Itinerant agricultural worker who picks wild oats from barley or wheat fields.

Peter B

Potato Roguers are still to the fore in our part of the world:

http://www.sruc.ac.uk/events/event/91/sruc_potato_roguer_course-craibstone_campus_aberdeen

Potato Roguers are still to the fore in our part of the world:
http://www.sruc.ac.uk/events/event/91/sruc_potato_roguer_course-craibstone_campus_aberdeen

And it requires a 5 day course! One obviously has to know one's onions to become a potato roguer. :whistle:

Potato Roguers are still to the fore in our part of the world:http://www.sruc.ac.uk/events/event/91/sruc_potato_roguer_course-craibstone_campus_aberdeen

And it requires a 5 day course! One obviously has to know one's onions to become a potato roguer. :whistle:

I knew someone who did it for a while. The woman that had the farm also kept pigs. Each morning she would muck out the pigs. Then she would go indoors and reappear bringing out hot tea and butteries for everyone - still with hands covered in pig muck!

There is a rather posh tobacconist's in Cardiff. Eye watering prices for a cigar or two.

I mentioned there are no longer "miners" in the British Army, are there any other trades that have no use in the Army that would be in use in the great war.

Not training or kit used. Semaphore is still used rarely for instance. Do we still have pigeons?

I suppose telegrams have died out so probably has the job of delivering them. Did they have a name?

I mentioned there are no longer "miners" in the British Army, are there any other trades that have no use in the Army that would be in use in the great war.

Not really a trade, but do officers nowadays have batmen?

As mentioned earlier, one local casualty was a Royal Engineer telegraphist, which I would imagine is a lost trade. Another was a 'shoeing smith', but the army still employs farriers so that doesn't really count.

Before household refrigeration there was the 'iceman' who delivered blocks of ice house to house with his horse & cart and muscled the blocks around with huge calipers.

khaki

Before household refrigeration there was the 'iceman' who delivered blocks of ice house to house with his horse & cart and muscled the blocks around with huge calipers.

khaki

And according to Eugene O'Neill 'cometh' - much commoner in North America where there was an industry cutting ice in the winter and storing it in ice houses for sale in the summer than in Britain where winters were milder and ice in the summer was a luxury item.

Bus conductor is probably another one that has virtually disappeared. Hold very tight please, ting, ting.

Cheers Martin B

Bus conductor is probably another one that has virtually disappeared. Hold very tight please, ting, ting.

Cheers Martin B

Tram and trolly bus conductors even more so.

Railway ticket collector or the lad who sold them must be a job now fast disapearing .

Tube train ticket seller about to vanish

1891 Census entry for "striker"

I assume metal working activity but the Census sheet has two people as "Striker" one being an 18 year old male the other a 34 year old female.

Kevin

post-46134-0-77941700-1392635368_thumb.j

Tube train ticket seller about to vanish

I think thats the point ,its not all these oddball jobs that were on the wain when the old Queen was in nappys ,its the jobs that have come and gone ordinary everyday jobs ,such as ticket collectors, shipbuilding ,clerks ,textile workers that have gone .

One for the Poilus: Onion Johnny (French onion seller on a bicycle Peddling :whistle: his wares in the UK), a calling which if it hasn't already disappeared, can't be far from doing so. Can't say I've seen or heard of one since the 60s, although possibly the modern day equivalent might be found at a local 'French' or 'Continental' market?

NigelS

1891 Census entry for "striker"

I assume metal working activity but the Census sheet has two people as "Striker" one being an 18 year old male the other a 34 year old female.

Kevin

Striker could be

1. A blacksmiths assistant
  2. A railway worker involved in track laying
  3. A yarn maker
  4. A knitter
  5. Some one who levelled off a heaped measuring bowl (usually of grain) with a stick or cord
  6. A harpooner on a whaler

1 and 2 wielded a hammer but 3, 4 and 5 derive from an old German word (stric or strik) for cord