Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NEW Manchester London Road Memorial

warbuff1

Hi Kathryn

Yes a lovely lady by the name of Shelia has done sterling work on contacting living relatives of as many men as we can find. Just so sad that we keep hitting hurdle after hurdle. You would think people would go over and above for something like this but sadly not probably as its not making them any money!! Or am i just getting synical in my old age..Lol

Wayne

Well we're still awaiting further info from Network Rail but pleased to see that Platform 10 at Manchester Piccadilly has now been cleared of all seats, boards and other station furniture in preparation for ground work to commence hopefully soon

Wayne

I'm visiting Manchester at the end of October (from Sunday 25th) - is there likely to be anything to see apart from an empty space!) then, please?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally at last we have the consent from Network Rail. Taken so long but we got there in the end. Now to get the contractors to sort their installation out and can start planning an event. Sadly not in time for November 11th though ?.

Regards Wayne

Sadly not just a space will be there still

Finally at last we have the consent from Network Rail. Taken so long but we got there in the end. Now to get the contractors to sort their installation out and can start planning an event. Sadly not in time for November 11th though .

Regards Wayne

Okay, thanks for your messages - it's bad news in the first, but good news in the second.

I'll just have to go and look at an open space - but it's better than looking at a hole in the ground!!

Best wishes!

• 4 weeks later...

On Wednesday 11th November 2015 there will be Service of Remembrance at Manchester Piccadilly hosted by Network Rail from 1045am. They are apparently having the Deputy Lord Mayor or Lord Lieutenant of Manchester attending as well as bugler for the last post to accompany the Act of Remembrance. A walk thorough WW1 exhibition which has been at other Network Rail stations will also be here and supplied by the Rail Delivery Group.

Andy and I will be manning a small display we've put together by ourselves revealing photos of the New Memorial as well as details on the original one and some of the men named on it.

Feel free to pop along and take a look and say hello to us

Wayne & Andy

• 5 months later...

Well its taken a long long time but we've finally achieved our goal.

On Wednesday 4th May at 1230 the memorial will be unveiled on Platform 10 at Manchester Piccadilly Rail Station.

The event is for VIPs and invited guests only including almost 60 relatives of the fallen men.

Its been a struggle and a long journey but so many of you from this forum have helped with research.

Please feel free to come along and see our magnificent memorial after the unveiling

Its the eve of the big day tommorow and we have recieved a great amount of support locally and of course on here over the last six years. Many thanks to all who have helped identify most of our 87 names. we have some media coverage tommorow and hopefully this will lead to the last few being identified in the months ahead.

we will post some pictures over the next few days of the event and anyone with twitter can follow tommorow @londonroadmem where we will try to keep you informed of how its all gone.

its the day we have all been waiting for.

"lest we forget"

Andy.

Congratulations to everyone involved. A magnificient achievement.

If not already sorted, may I suggest contacting Jonathan Ali at BBC Radio Manchester. Jonathan's one of their reporters and is also a war anorak. I'm sure he'd want to consider doing "something" by way of a piece.

I'll get the train into town sometime over the next couple of weeks to have a look.

John

Well done!

Wayne and Andy

What a fabulous achievement! Just read tonight's Manchester Evening News and think that all those involved deserve huge credit.

I harbour dreams of researching the Bradford Colliery (Manchester) roll of honour but since starting a thread on the subject about a year ago I've not found the time to continue. I have a dozen or so names identified but this is barely scratching the surface. The Bradford Pit project aims to create a permanent Memorial to all the miners and I think it would be appropriate to have a roll of honour that tells more than just a list of names of those who left one dangerous place to fight in another. So, Wayne and Andy, if your feeling a little bored...........

Once again well done

Simon

Wayne and Andy

What a fabulous achievement! Just read tonight's Manchester Evening News and think that all those involved deserve huge credit.

I harbour dreams of researching the Bradford Colliery (Manchester) roll of honour but since starting a thread on the subject about a year ago I've not found the time to continue. I have a dozen or so names identified but this is barely scratching the surface. The Bradford Pit project aims to create a permanent Memorial to all the miners and I think it would be appropriate to have a roll of honour that tells more than just a list of names of those who left one dangerous place to fight in another. So, Wayne and Andy, if your feeling a little bored...........

Once again well done

Simon

HI Simon

thanks for the feedback it was a great day and really rewarding.

your project sounds really interesting and i would be really happy to help, im sure wayne will as well.

Just let us know what information is still out there and lets take it from there

Andy

Thanks Andy, I'll be in touch as soon as I get myself a bit more organised. In case other members don't know where Bradford Pit was, it's underneath Man City's current car park. I'd like to think it was dug specifically to rid the world of supporters of that other club based near,but not in, Manchester! Sadly, I understand we are no longer allowed to bury plastic in land fill and had we gained permission, I fear the pit may have been dug about 200 miles north of their fan base! Hope yourself and Wayne aren't of the red persuasion.

At risk of repeating myself, well done on the London Rd/Piccadilly project.

Thanks again

Simon

Hi Simon good use of a big hole. I'm a season ticket holder at the Etihad and Wayne supports some team from Huddersfield so that's OK.

With it being under city makes me even more interested in helping

Andy

My main interest is Stockport, so give me a shout if anything in that direction crops up. Big project - there's over 600 names on the roll of honour in the City Battalions book and I think that'll only be to 1916.

I have it in mind that, as well as the usual local papers like the News and the Chron, there was an East Manchester weekly (?) paper that might be a good source of info. On microfilm at Central Library.

Andy

The actual pit head was very close to where the bridge over the road from the academy stadium now stands. I remember the buildings still being there when I was a child, my great grandfather was an underground pump operator there and his son was a stoker at the nearby power station (velodrome site) until joining the Mcr Pals and subsequently losing a leg at Broodseinde Ridge in 1917. There is quite an informative web site relating to the Bradford Pit Project, they are in the process of commisioning a permanent Memorial to all the miners who worked there during its 300 year history.

John

You're quite right about the size of project. With regard to local newspapers the most appropriate one may be the Gorton and Openshaw Reporter, there is of course the Manchester Guardian also.

Simon

Gorton Reporter!

That's the one I had in mind.

My grandfather, Tom Brough, worked at the nearby gasworks which, I assume, was powered by coal from the pit.

John

John

My father also worked for the gas board and he tells me that the coal from Bradford Pit was not of the correct grade for gas production and as such coal from elsewhere was brought in. The coal that went to Stuart St power station never actually saw the light of day, it was transfered via a tunnel dug between the two sites

Regards

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Wayne and Andy

Once again well done

Simon

Hi Wayne, sorry it's taken me so long to thank you for all your hard work and perseverance in getting the new memorial erected at Piccadilly. My husband and I attended the unveiling ceremony and found it a very poignant occasion. It is good to see that my gt.uncle, William Oatway, is still being remembered so long after his death. Well done!

Regards

Jean Hague

• 4 months later...

Many Thanks to all for your kind words and sorry its taken long for me to reply I sadly never seem to have much time to get on here as much as i'd like these days.

Mark..Thats a great photo and thanks for posting here :)

Wayne

That is extremely nice. Most modern memorials seem to vie with one another for tawdry tastlessness - this one looks like a proper memorial. Well done.

Thanks Steven. From the outset we wanted to ensure it was a traditional style memorial as the station itself is both a mix of Grade 2 listed train shed and also a modern development. The choice for the granite kind of gave it a modern feel whilst still being on some way traditional 

• 2 months later...

Just to let you know the we will be featured on Great British Railway Journeys on BBC2 6.30pm on Monday 9th January. Programme will show unveiling by Michael Portillo and interviews with Andy & I. 

http://bbc.in/2hzNGbz

Wayne 

Edited by warbuff1