Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NEW Manchester London Road Memorial

warbuff1

I think Doyle C is Charles Doyle 20311 1st Batt East Lancs kia 1-7-1916 he was a railway platelayer in 1911. Born 1886. Lived and enlisted Oldham. Ralph.

I think Doyle C is Charles Doyle 20311 1st Batt East Lancs kia 1-7-1916 he was a railway platelayer in 1911. Born 1886. Lived and enlisted Oldham. Ralph.

Think it this guy Charles Doyle 20001 18th field Ambulance RAMC 24/09/1916. Railway clerk 1911. Sadly his father Sgt Doyle also KIA

No he's not one of ours Ralph Liverpool road also had a large goods depot so he poss from there. Thanks anyway :)

Found this lad whilst searching - Daniel Ball 22834 Sgt 23rd Manchesters kia 20-8-1916 age 23 a vanman railways lived 8 Sorrell Street Hulme in 1911 same name parents (Daniel and Alice) as on the CWGC. Any use to you. ? Ralph.

James Emanuel SWIFT born 1894 call boy L and N Railway 17488 15th Royal Scots born and enlisted Manchester kia 12/7/1916 father John also worked for the railway. Ralph.

Think it this guy Charles Doyle 20001 18th field Ambulance RAMC 24/09/1916. Railway clerk 1911. Sadly his father Sgt Doyle also KIA

Hi,

20001 Pte Charles Doyle is commemorated on the Great War Memorial in the RAMC T.A. Centre, Kings Rd, Stretford.

He is buried in Guards Cemetery, Leboeufs.

1911 census has him living at 41 Ceder St, Hulme, aged 17 and working as a clerk for the railway company. Also in the house;

Charles Edward Doyle aged 37, labourer as an electrical engineer worker

Elizabeth Doyle aged 40 , housewife

Ellen Doyle aged 18 , machinist as wholesale clothes worker

Henry Doyle aged 14, errand boy as a brass foundry worker

Willian Doyle aged 5

Ernest Doyle aged 2

Hope this is of use

Regards,

Jon

Edit: his father is commemorated on the Basra Memorial having been killed on the 9th April of the same year, whilst serving in the 6 Btn Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

18 Fd Amb war diary for 24 Sept 1916 says"....one of our bearers killed by a shell & one wounded by shrapnel......"

Edited by jonrb

I just got him today Ralph but thank you soo much. Will post updateed list tomorrow

Wayne

Tragic story Jon his father killed April of same year and commemorated Basra memorial in present day Iraq

Wayne

I suspect that Albert J Collins to be Albert James Collins G/31544 Royal West Kents kia 27-8-1918.(CWGC) Cannot find him 1911, but in 1901 he was living with his mum who was the wife of a reservist residing in the barracks on the I O W. Soldiers Died has Albert James born Newport I O W, enlisted Manchester and resided Manchester. What think you. ? Ralph.

Afternoon all.

We had our first meeting at Manchester today with reps from different companies.

The meeting went well and I think we showed how much work all the people who have helped with this project have put in.

We are now in the process of waiting for a proposed site and any work that may need doing before all parties can commit to the cost of this project.

The estimated cost is around £10, 000 pounds for design, manufacture,delivery and installation.

we hope to have some more news next week regarding the next steps.

The help with identification of these men has been brilliant and we are getting closer with some of the more common names which is great so a big thanks to all who have helped.

thanks

Andy.

Re Bernard Ward

4161 L / Cpl 3rd Loyal North Lancs Regt

1911 census living at 32 Kirkstall St, Ardwick, with wife Margaret Ann, son Bernard Reginald and daughter Elsie. His stated occupation is a "railway stationary boiler stoker".

His service record on enlistment has his occupation as a carter.

CWGC states date of death as 25 September 1915, commemorated on the Loos Memorial.

Hope this is of use.

Regards,

Jon

Just an update. On site meeting 28th Feb with Network Rail, Our chosen designer & other bods to discuss site, technical details and size,shape & design of new memorial. Feels like things moving fast now. I'm sure be several hurdles to cross yet but we will succeed for these fallen guys.

Wayne

The only "Driver James Brierley", I can find is the following,

Service No:

Date of Death:

24/11/1917

Regiment/Service:

Royal Field Artillery

"A" Bty. 331st Bde.

Grave Reference

VI. K. 12.

Cemetery

PERTH CEMETERY (CHINA WALL)

Additional Information:

Son of James and Ada Brierley, of 2, Cowper St., Bradford, Manchester.

Regards,

Jon

Jon. Sure you are correct with this lad, it has taken me over half an hour to find him on Ancestry :thumbsup: he is there in 1911 with his family same address listed under BRURLEY :w00t: born 20 1 1897 and employed as a RAILWAY NIPPER. Ralph.

Wayne. I have been in touch with a relative (via Ancestry trees) re James and the lady states that he is her husbands Uncle and he remembers his mother pointing out James name on the memorial years ago. James was killed whilst attempting to rescue a horse from a shell hole. The ladies husband has a terminal illness and is very pleased that James wil now not be forgotten due to your efforts. Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for above. I can confirm the family are listed on the 1901 census under the name Brierley, living in Bradford,Manchester.

Regards,

Jon

Wayne. I have been in touch with a relative (via Ancestry trees) re James and the lady states that he is her husbands Uncle and he remembers his mother pointing out James name on the memorial years ago. James was killed whilst attempting to rescue a horse from a shell hole. The ladies husband has a terminal illness and is very pleased that James wil now not be forgotten due to your efforts. Ralph.

wow must say that brought a tear to my eyes when i read that. I'm just glad we can help. This is what its all about. If you are still in touch with the lady I would appreciate you forwarding my email address to her and hopefully we can make contact if she so wishes

Wayne

Well was going to post updated list of men identified but keep getting message error not allowed upload this type of file. Its a .wps file and only 177kb so cant see why not :angry2:

Wayne

No sorry Ralph. If i save as doc file it corrupts image. Oh well.

On another note 10 days till on site meeting to discuss site and design of memorial so really chuffed about that :thumbsup:

Wayne

Not yet identified or too sketchy info too:-

Pvt John A Blair

Pvt William E Brown

Pvt Herbert Clarke

Pvt George Collins

Pvt W Down

Pvt George Foster

Cpl Harry Green

Pvt J Griffiths

Pvt Arthur Hill

Pvt John Jones

Pvt Robert McKenzie

Pvt Thomas Massey (Found on Ancestry but no info on cwgc)

Pvt J Moran

Pvt Joseph Parkinson

Pvt J Pearson

Pvt E Phillips

Pvt Harry Pickup

Pvt Ernest Smith

Pvt Walter Stanford

Pvt John Sumner

Pvt William Swindells

Pvt Thomas Taylor

Pvt William Thompson

Pvt Frank Turner

Pvt Thomas Walker

Pvt George T H Watkins

Pvt A Wedge

Between work and life still trying search often as I personally can but once again I really appreciate work you guys are putting in. Especially you Ralph :thumbsup:

Wayne