Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NEW Manchester London Road Memorial

warbuff1

Cheers John but checking list its Watkins .Blame Andys typing haha

apologies but trying to take off one list to list here! get some work done wayne! :whistle:

Attached updated list of men with additional 28 who also worked at London Road and gave their lives.

Basically as a rule of thumb the ones with first names are identified on CWGC, the ones with only an initial are the ones we need help with

Cheers Wayne

Would help if i pressed attach file Haha

LNWR War Memorial London Rd.doc

Arthur TURNER stableman in 1911 born Hulme 1879 served as 7642 Pte 19th Batt LFs Tyne Cot died aged 40 25-4-1918. Ralph.

George Edward VARAH b Salford 1892 served as 20336 Pte 17th Manchesters lived 60 Wilmslow Road.

Unusual surname and I have it in mind the family is well known. I'm sure I came across him in the course of my 17/Manc research at some point.

George Edward VARAH b Salford 1892 served as 20336 Pte 17th Manchesters lived 60 Wilmslow Road.

Manchester Evening news, 20th July 1916

post-1356-0-89098900-1390395908_thumb.pn

Manchester Evening News, 8th November 1917

post-1356-0-97729900-1390396376_thumb.pn

Charles DAVENPORT b 1897 messenger on the railway in 1911 ( two of his family also worked for the railway) served as 10140 LFs kia 1st July 1916

Thanks all we are going to update our info ready for weds and the newspaper clippings really make you realise that it was a real person.

I will keep saying this but Thank You all for your time ans resources for this project. Your hard work is appreciated and will be rewarded

Rewarded ? pieces of eight ? gold doubloons ? coin of the realm ? A simple thank you will suffice methinks :thumbsup: Great that you are doing what you are doing. I hope my forthcoming book gets as much response. Keep going Wayne. Regards Ralph.

I know that this relates to Burnley, but given the former occupation, I wondered if this may be a match for your "Harry Pickup"?

Burnley News, 12th July 1918

post-1356-0-34547100-1390476259_thumb.pn

Attached updated list of men positively identified and of course the ones that we havent or cant. As ever any help with missing ones would be greatly received.

Already received photos and newspaper cuttings of a couple of men on here anymore would be greatly received

Thanks everyone Wayne

Apoligies again that towards the end microsoft works has yet again cocked up the listing!!

London Road Regimental.doc

Brillant list mate well done with all that typing. I hope that Helens list helped you out. just make sure we don't give this list to anyone at the meeting as we have seen what happens to our work in the past

Robert Frances Edgar L/cpl 1647 1/8th Manchesters kia 6-6-1915. A millers assistant in 1911.Forgot to add he was born in 1888

Found this lad whilst searching - Daniel Ball 22834 Sgt 23rd Manchesters kia 20-8-1916 age 23 a vanman railways lived 8 Sorrell Street Hulme in 1911 same name parents (Daniel and Alice) as on the CWGC. Any use to you. ? Ralph.

How about John ROBERT Blair 26338 Pte 18th Manchesters kia 14-11-1916 age 23 son of William/Elizabeth he was a wagon booker on the railways. Lived Moss Side.