Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Traffic chaos at the Menin Gate Memorial.

chrislock

Was there 3 weeks ago, and it was incredibly busy not just under the Menin Gate, but at Langamark, Tyne Cote, etc. Ulster Tower had six coaches for example. What happens when the normal coach tours become much harder to run just visiting normal cemeteries? The Gate is a victim of its own success and can remember in 80's when everybody fitted under the Gate on the 11th and had space for loads more. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Still think someone ought to run cams at the Gate so we can see it from afar.

"Still think someone ought to run cams at the Gate so we can see it from afar".

Totally agree Marti even to the extent of putting screens in the main Square and having a live feed on the LPA website. There is so much that can be done to both improve the Ypres experience for the visitor and residents of this historic city. If the will is there it will improve, if not then frankly put up with the current situation which by the way will only get worse. Perhaps the time has come for the city fathers to put something back for the benefit of the thousands of visitors.

Norman

I would not be inclined to go all that way to watch it on tv screen.

A ticket system probably would not be acceptable to the coach operaters unless they could be guaranteed tickets in advance which would defeat the object.

My comment was about a solution that was put forward. I don't know the answer. Perhaps not play the Last Post everyday? Just at weekends?

Seems like the attraction has outstripped the infrastructure.

(...) Perhaps not play the Last Post everyday? Just at weekends? (...)

John !!!

Aurel

Yes, I suppose that the local shopkeepers wouldn't like the loss of weekday trade.

John,

No, I did not mean that. Not at all. It had not even crossed my mind.

I meant : that would be a serious change in the tradition of Last Post every day (since 1928, if my memory is correct).

Sacrilege ! :mellow:

Aurel

Aurel

As a resident what are the views of the people who live there?

Is it more of a nuisance for people visiting rather than the residents?

Well I live and work here and I also speak poor Dutch. But I know many locals who live nearby and my job dictates that I rub shoulders with visitors and residents. Mixed views are abound however, the coach wardens and police officers confirm complaints from nearby residents are increasing and our clients often complain that they cannot see the ceremony unless they arrive before 7pm. Just my own observations however, fb posts reveal many others who live and work here also post likewise.;-)

I'm visiting Ypres in a couple of weeks, and am planning to be at the actual ceremony on one of the nights during my stay.

However, I'd also like to "see" what it's like from the garden above the gate, i.e. near to the Indian Memorial. Has anyone "seen" the ceremony from there, and has any advice (i.e. can you hear the bugles?), please?

Thanks.

John and Chris,

I live in Boezinge (5 miles north of the Menin Gate). I am not near the Menin Gate and Last Post ceremony all the time.

But I can agree with Chris.

People in Ypres in general have no problems. They (we) are proud of the Last Post Ceremony.

But I agree : for residents living nearby it can be a 'nuisance'. (Funny, the Dutch (Flemish) word for 'nuisance' is ... lastpost. :-) )

For visitors (from Ypres or elsewhere) the crowd indeed is becoming a problem, as you have to get there soon !

Scorer,

You cannot possibly see the Last Post ceremony from the Ramparts or from where the Indian memorial is. (But you can hear the buglers.)

Aurel

Well I live and work here and I also speak poor Dutch. But I know many locals who live nearby and my job dictates that I rub shoulders with visitors and residents. Mixed views are abound however, the coach wardens and police officers confirm complaints from nearby residents are increasing and our clients often complain that they cannot see the ceremony unless they arrive before 7pm. Just my own observations however, fb posts reveal many others who live and work here also post likewise.;-)

So what is the solution Chris for there must be some actions which if taken will improver things for both for the visitors and the locals alike?

Norman

For those of us who have been a few times being some way from the actual ceremony is not a major problem - so long as we are there. The problem is for those who are on a once in a life time trip - especially those from Oz, NZ, Canada etc. If that was me I would want to see the ceremony itself, the buglers, the wreath laying and to hear the Exhortation etc etc.

I really don't know what the answer is to be honest There is only limited space and if 1000+ people turn up what can the LPA do?

Neil

So no ideas to improve things then in that case not much point in any further discussion is there?.

Norman

From what I have read from those who live there or nearby it seems it is only residents living where the coaches park that have complained.

I can see their point of view.

Neil makes a good point. I've come to the view that the best option is probably to stand somewhere in earshot but away from the crowds (the area behind the buglers is sometimes not too busy). But if people want the full on experience the only real option is to get there early and be prepared to stand for some time (or take a chair)...

I have always made a point of letting the the very young and those with toddlers greater access to the gate on my visits. I have lost count now how many times i have took the Last post,

But my eyes would water at so many in number and would gladly take a back seat at any distance to see the Gate.

Long may it go on so.

G.K.

As mentioned before, I’m attending the ceremony in September and laying a wreath on behave of my family and the RAMC, I contacted the LPA who told me to report to one of there representives on my arrival (Who ever they are), now hearing of the large amount of visitors and other groups who are also attending the same time as me I’m now considering pulling out,

We'll experience it soon. As participants to the 100Km of Ieper, the Belgian German Friendshipteam will lay a wreath on the Friday of the event, 30/5.

MM.

As mentioned before, I’m attending the ceremony in September and laying a wreath on behave of my family and the RAMC, I contacted the LPA who told me to report to one of there representives on my arrival (Who ever they are), now hearing of the large amount of visitors and other groups who are also attending the same time as me I’m now considering pulling out,

There is no need to consider pulling out.

As you will be laying a wreath, a roped off area is set aside for you and others with wreaths.

Members of the Last post association are easy to spot! and also will approach you? You need to be about the middle of the Gate about seven thirty and one of the LPA will greet you there. They are universally helpful, and speak good English.

Don't let the size of the crowds put you off laying your wreath!

Bruce

I would advise against doing that. It's a great privilege to take part in the ceremony and worth any effort, crowds or no crowds. I have read the Exhortation twice there and the experience is amazing.

If our friend Jacky P is doing the honours on the night, he will look after you very well and is quite the most charming man. But no doubt all the LPA people will do similarly.

I attended the Last Post ceremony on April 26th, 27th and 28th and the only advice I can give to people is to arrive early and be prepared to wait. If you arrive before 7.30 you will be ok. If you are laying a wreath you can arrive after this time and with a few 'excuse me's ' work your way through to the area set aside for wreath layers. I would agree with some of the posters here that the solemn nature of the Last Post ceremony seems to be lost on a growing number of attendees. On the 28th a young child gave a cheer after the buglers had played the Last Post, and surprisingly, rather than remaining quiet (kids will be kids after all) quite a loud ripple of laughter went around the gate from many adults in attendance. I suppose if you want a quiet and reflective occasion at the Menin Gate for the next few years avoid weekends or attend in winter or when its lashing rain and snow.

Scorer,

You cannot possibly see the Last Post ceremony from the Ramparts or from where the Indian memorial is. (But you can hear the buglers.)

Aurel

Thanks very much - this is what I wanted to know!